A Little Piece of Heaven

Nothing Can Beat You If You Smile

What was I going to say to him?
How was he going to react?
Would he hate me?
Would my practically perfect life be shattered by just one phone call?

My shoes pounded against the sidewalk as my brain had a violent ping-pong match with itself. I had no idea where the best place to even start looking was but I knew I had to find him soon.
“I’ll prove to you that I’ll never leave you…somehow, but I will…” How could you do that? I wasn’t sure. There was no doubt that all this was very much, my fault.
“Argh!” I sighed angrily, barging through the Starbucks door, it ricocheting loudly off of the wall. I needed something with caffeine in to be able to think straight.
“A large coffee please,” I mumbled, looking at the counter.
“Room for milk?” I heard the guy say. I nodded.
“You okay?” I slowly lifted my head up. He was wearing a white polo shirt with the Starbucks emblem and a red apron. I looked no further. I didn’t need an agony aunt. Especially one I didn’t know and took too long to give me my coffee.
“Yeah. I’m fine” he placed the coffee slowly down in front of me, as if not to make any sudden movements. His expression seemed slightly hurt.
“I’m sorry, if I seem harsh…just having a bad day, ya know?” I smiled, hoping it would make him feel better and me not so guilty. He smiled back.
“Yeah…if things go bad though, the only thing you can do is smile…nothing can beat you if you smile” he said matter-of-factly.
“Thanks…I think I may have to come in more often for your cheery disposition. Really. Thank you” I beamed, putting my money on the counter and saying bye before I left the shop. I saw the guy stare at me, still smiling, when I passed the window. I waved, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear nervously.
“Right…smile” I looked back through the window, a smile stuck on my lips. He gave me the thumbs up. I looked down at the floor as I walked away.

---Time Lapse---

I swallowed the last gulp of coffee and threw the cup in the trash can.
“Fuck sake!” I growled angrily, throwing myself on a bench and pulling my legs up to my chest. I had been searching for Matt for nearly 4 hours and still I had no idea where to look for him. I was beginning to think that I had lost him. The prickly tears welled up behind my eyelids, them threatening to spill without any provocation. Everything I saw around me was the vision of happiness. Small children playing happily with their families. Couples walking lovingly hand-in-hand. Birds chirped and danced together in the sky. The tears spilled from my eyes.
“Hey-woah! What’s wrong?!” someone said from above me. They touched my arm gently. I tried to wipe my tears away before I lifted my head up, to find the guy from the Starbucks looking at me, concern filling his chocolate eyes.
“N-nothing…” I sniffed, knowing full well my half-hearted attempt would not make the concern shift from his eyes.
“Ha! Yeah right…for some reason I don’t believe you…bet you can’t guess why” he smiled, wiping a tear away with his thumb. I moved backwards into the bench slightly and his hand dropped immediately but reluctantly.
“I told you...just a bad day…just a bad day, that’s all…” I trailed off realising it wasn’t just a bad day…but a fricking nightmarish day.
“Well…you and your bad day should come for a walk with me…clear your head and get you smiling again” he beamed, jumping up and waiting for me to stand up. I stared at him.
“Are you okay?” I asked.
“Erm…yes? Why do you say that?”
“Because I’m beginning to wonder whether being this hyper and…happy is actually healthy…” I mumbled, stretching my legs out and standing up. He just laughed.
“Someone said that to me before…I guess I didn’t take any notice of them!”
“Obviously” I smiled, my nervous habit once again taking over: tucking hair behind my ear, “I never caught your name by the way”
“It’s Josh”
“Hey, I’m Lily”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh My Jepha O.o...I'm not gonna even try and justify my serious lack of updates all I can say is I hope I can update again soon and that all you loverly people will keep reading :)
Thank you to everyone who still is...it means a lot, really :)
Death Is A Promise.