Status: writing a story is like putting on paper the things you ultimately fantasize or what you want to happen :]

Together Under Our Roof

Are you Awake?

Misty pulled out another set of blankets and tossed them to Michael who discarded the blankets from the floor into a bag in the corner. Carefully, he set them on the bed and set them so that they created a barrier between Misty’s sleeping spot and his. Reluctantly, they both got into bed and tried to fall asleep, which was a difficult task since both of them were convinced that their heartbeats could be heard clearly.

The bed was only a regular sized bed so the barrier did nothing to give them space.

“Hey, Misty, are you asleep?” Michael whispered. At first there was silence but then Misty shifted to turn to Michael.

“Yeah, what’s wrong?” Misty whispered back.

“No, I was just wondering,” Michael said reluctantly.

“Wondering what?” Misty probed. Michael hesitated.

“So what did you do when the rat comes out before I was here?” Michael questioned, avoiding the questions he had in his mind.

“I don’t think that’s all there is,” Misty accused. Michael stayed silent. Instead of pushing further she said, “I do what I usually do. I stay up all night scared he’ll come in my room, with a sling shot and a pan,” Misty said in a matter-of-factly tone.

Michael again was silent, trying to picture what she had just given him. The thought of Misty sitting in her room scared with a pan and a slingshot made him want to laugh but he was saddened when he thought of her being alone and scared, even if it was because of a rat, and thought of why she was alone.

“Can I ask you something?” Misty asked quietly.

Michael nodded, but because he realized he was in the dark answered with a simple “sure”.

“Why are you so gentlemanly?” Misty inquired. The question took Michael by surprise.

“A guy can’t be chivalrous?” Michael mocked, but inside he cringed at his memories, waving them away as he heard Misty continue.

“Chivalry is dead,” Misty said bluntly. Michael chuckled.

“Then what am I?” Michael prodded. Misty giggled.

“True,” she chimed. Michael could not help but find her tinkling laughter turn his heart in tiny flips.

“Okay, my turn,” Michael whispered. Misty nodded for him to go on. This time, he could feel her weight shift as she nodded. “What is your favorite color?”

“What kind of question is that?” Misty laughed.

“Come on, it’s important,” Michael urged.

“It’s black,” she stated happily.

“Why black?” Michael asked, puzzled.

“Because it’s solid and relaxing. I don’t really know why, but I just know that I like it,” Misty sighed as she looked into the black darkness around her. “Sometimes I think of it as a chalkboard and draw on it what I want.”

“Makes sense,” Michael commented.

“What about you?” Misty asked, shifted in the darkness to face Michael better, although she tried to push back to get farther away from him.

“I like blue, because it’s that color of the sky and the sea,” Michael said. Misty sighed with content as she thought of the crashing waves and the floating clouds.

“Oh, I have a good one. Favorite food?” Michael asked excitedly. Misty gasped.

“You can’t choose between foods!” Misty exclaimed. Michael laughed, the sound reverberating through Misty.

“Okay, then favorite ice cream flavor,” Michael continued.

“Strawberry. I like strawberry everything,” Misty whispered happily. “And you?”

“Chocolate,” Michael stated, “all of the way.”

“Animal?” Michael asked.

“Kitty Cat for the win!” Misty squealed. Michael chuckled at her childish action. “I love how beautiful and nonchalant they are,” Misty explained.

“I like sharks. They keep moving forward and only hunt when needed. They really are peaceful creatures, not the monsters people point them out as,” Michael explained. Misty nodded.

“I saw a documentary on them and it was so cool!” Misty exclaimed excitedly.

“You watch documentaries?” Michael was surprised to hear she watched documentaries. Misty nodded ferociously.

“They’re my favorites, I watch them whenever I can,” Misty explained. Michael grinned in the dark.

“I think we’ll get along well,” Michael chimed excitedly. Misty went quiet as a blush crept up her neck, thankful that the dark covered her redness.

“Yeah,” Misty quietly agreed. Michael looked over to Misty, his eyes finally adjusting to the darkness. Her head was dug into her pillow, her hair spilling over her shoulders. He wanted to reach over a feel the silken mass but kept his hands to himself, as he was taught in kindergarten.

“Hey, Misty?” Michael whispered, waiting for her to raise her head to answer, so that he could catch a glimpse of her face.

“Yes?” Misty returned, lifting her head out of the pillow slightly, waiting for him to continue. Michael saw a slight smile and a glint of her white teeth.

“Are – are you single?” Michael whispered, barely audible even in the dead silence of the room.

Misty almost did not hear it too, but the key word was almost. Michael had thought she did not hear him because she was awfully quiet and was about to ask her again, with more confidence, when Misty coughed slightly before speaking.

“Um – why do you want to know?” Misty said in a quiet voice, wavering because of such an odd question. Of course it was impossible that he liked her but then why would he ask?

“You know – I just want to know because I don’t really want to disrespect anyone’s girlfriend by sleeping together with her. I don’t want an angry boyfriend on my back is all,” Michael said hurriedly, feeling a pang in his heart as he waited for her answer. Unknowingly, he felt jealous for the moment he waited for her.

“Oh,” Misty sighed silently to herself. When Michael did not hear her, he waited. “No, I don’t have a boyfriend,” Misty said nonchalantly. “You don’t have to worry.”

“Well that’s good,” Michael said happily, the weight on his heart lifting, making a smile break out on his face.

Misty stayed silent. Michael thought she had fallen asleep but then she sighed.

“You know, I never pegged you as a coward,” Misty giggled, pushing away the thoughts of the previous question. Michael scoffed.

“I am not a coward! I just hate rats,” Michael said defensively. Misty laughed.

“Is there anything else you hate other than rats I need to know about?” she joked. Michael chuckled.

“No, that’s all,” Michael answered.

“Oh really, so if there was a cockroach, then you would kill it for me?”Misty asked.

“In a heartbeat,” Michael returned confidently. Misty scoffed, skeptical about his answer. “You don’t believe me! Fine, I won’t kill it for you then,” he said mockingly.

“Alright I believe you,” Misty said, still doubtful, but did not show it.

They laid there laughing for a few minutes before a question popped into Misty’s head.

“Michael? What’s your most favorite memory?” Misty asked as a yawn broke into her voice. Michael searched his memory, looking through the few years he remembered.

“The most vivid memory I have is of my mother, when she would sing me to sleep,” Michael started, his voice gruff as he tried to remember his mother’s face when he was a child. “All I can really remember is the song she sung to me, her voice making everything seem like it was real, and when I would cry, she would sing me that song, holding me in her arms,” Michael went on, his memories, although unclear, bringing together the warmth he needed not to cry.

Misty felt Michael’s voice waver, but felt the warmth of the story. She pictured the earlier years when her mother would sing her to sleep. Although her voice was not smooth, her mother’s voice was soothing, a happy sound she remembered as a child before everything went wrong. She reminisced about the past, the happy times she clung onto to keep herself sane.

Michael sighed at his wavered memories, too tired to force himself to push onto the memories. He turned over to Misty where he found her breathing slowly, peace taking her to a new world for the night. Michael sighed contently, a smile breaking across his face as he watched her peaceful face until he fell asleep too. He could not believe the luck he had to find this girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
this is one of the cutest chapters :)