Status: Something New

Firsts

Planes

“Okay, got your ticket?” I nodded. “Your bags,” I nodded. “Don’t forget your-“

“I got everything mom,” I sighed and she forced a smile.

“This will be better for you, get some sun, you’ll-“

“I know mom,” I cut her off again.

She smiled and hugged me. I returned it. I had never been away from my mom before, now I was leaving for three months, I was terrified. It didn’t help that I knew nothing of this guy.

I got on the plane and did what they told me, I had never been on a plane before either.
__
The plane started to descend and I grew scared, were we going to just hit the ground, did we have to brace for the landing? I knew nothing of it. We touched down and I barely felt it. My mind made up a whole different story than what really was to happen once again.

I got off of the plane and searched through the sea of people. What did he look like? I didn’t even have pictures of this guy to go on. Was he tall or short like my mom and me? What color was his hair? Was he Native? I started to hyperventilate.

Calm down. Breathe. Breathe through the nose and out the mouth, or was it the other way around? I don’t feel any better!

Mary

I see my name written on a white board held in someone’s hand. Was that my dad?

He was a medium sized white man with blond hair and blue eyes, he had light scruff on his chin, and his hair was slicked back. I walked up to him with caution and he smiled at me.

“Mary?” He asked.

“Yeah… dad?” His face fell and his eyes grew wide.

“Oh no! I’m his friend; he got caught up at work and couldn’t come get you so he sent me.” He smiled.

I was a bit relieved. He walked to the baggage claim and I grabbed my bags. He quickly grabbed them out of my hands however and I just stared at him. I followed him out and once we got in the car his phone rang.

“Hello? Yeah she’s right here… uh… okay… Bye.”

“Was that my dad?” I asked once he hung up.

“Yeah, he said he’s done at work and to meet him at his apartment.”

“Apartment?” I asked and he nodded.

I had always lived in a house; small one but a house nonetheless. I wanted to ask this man questions but I didn’t want to speak.

“I know your dad from work, he’s kind of my boss. Good guy. Didn’t know he had a kid though.” He rattled off without me asking.

I didn’t know I had a dad so we are even. I wished I could say. Kind of a joke to lighten the mood. I kept my mouth shut however and just stared out of the window.

California. San Diego to be exact. It was way different than New Mexico. The air was wet and sticky. I was used to the heat though. It took about an hour before he said we were close. He lives by the beach.

We pulled up to a 4 story building and I jumped out. I went for my bags but once again the guy beat me to it. I didn’t even know his name…

He walked me to a door that had a number 8 on it. My lucky number. How lucky was I lately though?

I stood off to the side and he stood directly in front of the door. He knocked and I switched from foot to foot waiting. Finally the door opened and I held my breath. I stared down preparing myself.

“Hey Randy,” a man greeted.

Randy.

“Where is she?”

“She’s right here,” Randy motioned to me before stepping inside leaving my dad and I alone.

You gotta look at him sometime. Slowly I brought my gaze up to look at my father.
♠ ♠ ♠
I swear I deleted this story but since it’s here may as well finish it.
-Neche