What About Us?

Two.

I blew a breath out of my mouth as I pulled my suitcase from the conveyer belt. I lifted the handle out of it, dragging it along the floor, trying to get out of a cramped airport. As I got outside, I tapped my foot as I dialled a number that I knew would always be faithful to me. “Where are you?” I asked, the second he picked up. It had been about a year and a half, roughly since the last time I saw him. And I felt terrible about it. It wasn’t his fault, it was mine.

“I can see you, stupid.” He said, before making me turn around frantically even though people were rolling in and out of the airport like nobody’s business. “Look across the road, you’ll see a black SUV. I’m in it.” My head spun round, before seeing this flash black car. These Jonas’s don’t do things by half. I dragged my suitcase across the road, before he bounced out, grinning. “Allie.” He whispered, wrapping his arms around me. I smiled, remembering what it felt like.

“Nicholas.” I replied, as we both pulled away. He rolled his eyes, before taking my suitcase from me and shoving it into the boot of his car. He walked me to my side of the car, opening the door for me. I basically had to jump into the car while Nick laughed at me. I slammed the door shut when I got into the seat properly. He climbed into his side of the car, started the engine before someone jumped in front of the car, taking photos. “Now, I don’t miss this.” I mumbled, as he tried to get away as fast as possible. He grunted as we pulled onto the freeway.

“How are you?” Nick asked as we casually drove. I nodded my head, sending him a soft smile.

“Pretty good actually. I mean, I’ve got a decent job now and a lovely flat.”

“Serious Aleah, are you okay?” He sent me a quick, but meaningful look, which made me sigh and brushed my hair out of my eyes. “Cause if I was in your shoes, not that I could fit into them, but I’d feel pretty shit.” I looked over at him, my mouth dropping.

“And when did you swear?”

“And when did you start ignoring me?”

“I guess…” I stopped, thinking about how this will come out. “I’ll have to move on, I mean. Joe’s getting married, nothing is going to change that.” I nodded my head and attempted to hold back the tears that threatened to overspill.

“If it makes you feel any better,” Nick started then stopped to take a breath. “We all thought it was going to be you.”

“If it makes any difference,” I said, looking over at Nick, who was concentrating on the road. “So did I.”

* * *

“So does Joe know you’re actually coming?” Nick asked me as we pulled off the freeway, finally. I shrugged my shoulders, before running my fingers through my hair. “Cause I don’t think he does.”

“Well, he sent me a letter, along with the wedding invite.” Suddenly Nick made a noise; which lead me to think that he didn’t know. “Surprise?”

“He wrote you a note?” His voice went up an octave, making me laugh. “What did it say?”

“Something about needing to see me. So I jumped on the first plane.” I waved my arms in the air to prove a point. Nick sighed, before laughing slightly.

“Cause you’d do anything for him?” I turned my head to look at Nick, hoping that if I glared hard enough he could disappear. Even though I knew everything he had been saying was true. I coughed awkwardly, before looking out my window. “Speaking of the devil.” Suddenly Joe’s voice echoed around the car, clearly being picked up from the hands free. I took a breath as he started to speak.

“Nicholas.” He stated, making Nick roll his eyes. My heart fluttered as he spoke, feeling stupid enough just to remember how it felt with him, in his arms and the way that he loved me. “Where have you disappeared off to?”

“Picking up a friend from the airport. Why? What’s up?” Nick asked as he casually drove down the road. I felt everything rushing back, my stomach fluttering at the thought of Joe Jonas. Then I thought about everything that had happened. Joe was getting married. I was by myself, in New York, not knowing why I was there or what I was going to do.

“Because mum is doing dinner. Will you be back by then? Cause we want to go through wedding details.” My heart stopped, feeling as if I’d failed everyone. I looked over towards the window, staring out of it. I felt Nick’s hand on my leg, giving it a squeeze before putting it back onto the steering wheel.

“I’m going to be about,” Nick looked at the clock on the dash board. “20 minutes. When’s mum doing dinner?”

“About an hour. I’ll see you there then?”

“Yeah, bye.” Nick hit a button on the dashboard before offering me a small, quick smile. “Once Joe sees you, the wedding plans will go out the window. He’ll want to spend every second with you.” I rolled my eyes at Nick before tapping my foot against the floor of the car. “Anyway, she’ll be gone in a few days. Visiting family.” I nodded my head, feeling a little better that I would be spending more time with my favourite people.

“So do you like her?” I asked, playing with my fingers, feeling like a bit of an idiot asking about her. Nick shrugged his shoulders before sighing.

“I’d rather it be you.”

* * *

The rest of the car ride was a little awkward between me and Nick. Not that we didn’t have anything to say to each other, but the thought of being with all the Jonas’s again, after so long made me nervous like I never had been before. “Allie.” Nick’s voice spilt through my thoughts, making me look at him. “Welcome to our New York home.” I looked up at it, making my mouth drop. I’d seen their Texas house, and it was nothing compared to this. “C’mon.” Nick flicked his head to the side before getting out the car. I took a deep breath before sliding out. Nick grabbed my suitcase from the trunk before meeting me on my side of the car.

“It’s amazing.” I said, loving the house that stood in front of me. We walked towards the front door and it swung open. I was face to face with a massive smile from Denise. I step forwards to her open arms and hugged her like there was going to be no tomorrow. I remembered the smell of Denise, as odd as it sounded, before we both pulled away. She grabbed my face, kissing any part of skin that was free, like she’d do with the boys when they used to be away for plenty of days.

“Aleah.” She cooed, before hugging me again. Nick chuckled behind me before we all walked into the house. “How are you sweetie?” She asked as we walked into the lounge. Suddenly I heard a little squeal and I spun around just to catch Frankie in my arms. I squeezed him as hard as I can.

“I missed you.” He whispered in my ear. I kissed his cheek before he pulled away from me, running out of the room. I laughed before tumbling onto the couch next to Nick, who instantly threw his arm over my shoulder, like we used to. I grinned over at him, before seeing Paul wandering in.

“Allie.” He said, before walking over and giving me a hug. I realized how much I’d actually missed this family. The way they were all so friendly and loving. “How did you--?” I looked over at Nick, who had a ridiculous grin on his face.

“When she calls, I’m always there.” I leant up and kissed his cheek softly. “When are the rest of them arriving then?” Nick asked, looking around as if they’d magically appear.

“Kevin and Danielle will be here in about 10 minutes and Joe and Rose will be about 30 minutes.” That was the first time someone had said her name since I was here and it made me feel pretty rubbish. “So if you want to go upstairs and get yourself settled.” I nodded my head, before pushing myself off the couch. Nick got up, threw his arm around my shoulder as if to comfort me then we walked upstairs, my case dragging behind him. We walked past plenty of rooms, before Nick pushed one door open. My mouth dropped open at how big the bed was.

“You must be joking me.” I muttered, before talking a running jump onto it. I let out a soft giggle while Nick stood, shaking his head at me. “This bed is like twice the size of the one I’ve got at home.”

“Get used to it. It’s going to be yours for the next month.” I grinned, before I shut my eyes slowly. I felt the bed sink then Nick’s hand in mine. I gave them a soft squeeze before smiling to myself. “I’m happy that you decided to come back.” I rolled over to face Nick, who had a smile on his face.

“Me too.” I smiled, before he leant forwards, pressing his lips against my forehead. I winked at him then he jumped off the bed. I looked over at him and he shrugged.

“Unpack. By the time you’re done, food will be ready.” He winked, before walking out. I took a massive breath once the door had been shut and looked around. I felt home.