Status: Completed

Who Wouldn't Want To Be Me

Chapter 57

“Hey babe, how are you doing?” he asked, his low voice more comforting than I could imagine.

“Okay,” I allowed as he wrapped his arms around me, pulling me against his chest. To be honest I was still a little frustrated with him for the whole fight thing during the game, but I couldn’t stay angry with him.

“What’s wrong Cam? I know something’s bothering you. Are you mad at me?” he asked, and I sighed.

“No, Jord I’m not mad at you,” I told him, and felt him relax a little as he ran his hand up and down my arm, the gesture soft and comforting, just as his presence was.

“Why wouldn’t you talk to me the rest of the game?”

“Jordy, you can’t treat me like your girlfriend on the ice,” I said, turning in his arms to face him. He looked confused, and I realized he hadn’t put two and two together on this one.

“What?”

“You can’t be stepping in to finish fights for me Jordy,” I sighed, and he bristled.

“So you expect me to just stand back and watch some… some asshole try to punch my girlfriend in the face?” he demanded, a little appalled by the way his eyes flashed and his muscles tensed.

“Jordy I can’t be your girlfriend on the ice. I have to be another guy on the team, and nothing more,” I told him, and he let out an angry hiss, his teeth gritted together and I could only wince as I heard the sound they made grinding together.

“You know I’m not okay with that,”

“Well you have to be Jordy. I know you don’t like it, but that’s the way it has to be,” I insisted, and moments later he pulled me in for a close hug. I let out a long breath, relaxing against his strong chest and into his muscled arms.

“Fine.” He huffed, obviously upset now. His hand never stopped rubbing my arm, and I was beginning to feel drowsy. We laid there together in comfortable silence for a while, the tension slowly easing from the room as I became more drowsy and Jordan seemed to get over his pouting. I felt him shift awkwardly, and knew something was on his mind.

“Cam… did you really…” he stumbled over his words a little, and I couldn’t help but chuckle. Jordan sometimes tried to find a gentle way to bring up a subject, but usually failed at doing so.

“Yeah, I did. But I learned my lesson Jordy, I’m never doing that to myself again. I ended up in the hospital for two days on an IV from exhaustion. I wasn’t eating right, I wasn’t sleeping right, and I wasn’t letting my body recuperate enough to be helping myself. I’m fine Jordy, honest,” I assured him, straining my neck a little to place a soft butterfly kiss on the corner of his lips. While he looked a little more at ease, he still didn’t look completely convinced.

“Okay, if you say so Cam. You know all you ever have to do is say the word and I’ll be right here for you, no matter what,” he assured me, kissing my temple and taking me by surprise by how openly nurturing he was. He always acted like more of a ‘just suck it up’ kind of person – as long as it wasn’t anything too serious. Then he was just as pushy about going to have it fixed. But this was a pleasant surprise for me; while he was supportive he was definitely not a ‘let’s talk about feelings’ kind of guy, but for me he was trying. Cue the swooning and weakness in the knees right then and there.

“I know,” I told him, and he kissed me again, this time on the lips before I made myself completely comfortable in his arms.

“Jordy are you gonna stay?” I asked quietly, not wanting to seem needy or clingy but really wanting him to.

“If you want me to. I was really hoping you weren’t pissed at me for something, but I didn’t really set my hopes too high,” he gave me that lopsided grin that made my knees go weak and my heart miss beats.

“Okay,” I said, and moved to get out of bed. His grip on me tightened, making me chuckle.

“You really want to sleep in your jeans?” I asked, and after a second of thinking on it he let me go.

“I guess you have a point there,” he allowed, and after digging around in my dresser I found a pair of pajama pants that would be big enough for him. Probably not long enough for him, but big enough in the waist that he could wear something other than his jeans.

“Here you go,” I said, and my eyes widened before I shut them as quickly as possible as he just slid his jeans off in front of me and pulled them on before stripping off his shirt. Sure he still had his boxer-briefs on, but still… I was a fairly modest person, and I sure as hell hadn’t expected that.

“Hey what’re—Oh, shit, sorry,” he blushed, his face reaching the same color as mine in a mere few seconds when he realized he’d stripped in front of me.

“I-it’s okay,” I choked out, and after a second of awkwardly standing looking at each other from across the room we began to grin, and then laugh.

“Wow we’re weird,” Jordan said, sliding back under the covers, and flipping them back as a gesture for me to crawl in next to him.

“Sorry,” I apologized, but he shook his head, snuggling down into the mattress and pulling me tight against his body.

“Don’t be; I’m the idiot who started taking my clothes off,” he rolled his eyes, making me giggle before he leaned in for a deep kiss. I felt myself melt, and Jordan must have noticed because when he pulled away a grin was tugging at the corners of his lips.

“What’s so funny?” I asked, burying my face against his neck.

“Oh nothing,” he sighed, one hand resting between my shoulder blades, the other low on my back, his thumb softly moving back and forth.

“Fine, be that way,” I shrugged, closing my eyes and inhaling the boyish scent that clung to his skin. I could vaguely smell aftershave, and I wondered if he hadn’t showered and shaved when he got home, before he came over here.

“Night Jordy,” I yawned, and he chuckled, pulling the comforter a little higher up and slightly tucking it in around my body before laying back down completely.

“Night Cam,” he whispered, pressing a kiss to my temple again before I went to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another chapter! Sorry it's a little short - this is just where it made sense to split them!

And I would love to hear what you guys think of my Marc Staal mini-series, Baby Remind Me

Thanks a million! And if there's enough comments (on both stories, because I really want to see what y'all think of the contest-entry mini-series!) I will post another nice long chapter later tonight! :)