Ten Thousand Miles Apart

Dropping the News

I was just finishing off my breakfast when my mum came and sat down on the couch next to me. I looked over to her; I looked into her bluey grey eyes. ‘Uh oh’ I thought. She had the look on her face she only gives me when I’m in trouble with school or something but I haven’t done anything wrong in ages, so why should be mad at me? She opened her mouth; I readied myself for a massive lecture about something I am yet to know of. Instead, she let out a sigh. Phew! She’s not made at me! But I wondered why she sighed? She seemed upset about something. My mother upset? Never, she’s either happy or mad at me because I stuffed up at school. I wondered what was going on. My stomach started to sink. I was thinking something bad was going to happen, I thought of every possible thing that was bad to go wrong.
“Joeey darling,” she paused “we’re moving.”
A sigh of relief came over me. I chuckled a bit thinking it was going to be some big thing like I was going to move to a boarding school or something.
“So where are we moving to? Redlynch, City View, Whitfield, Park Ridge, Edmonton, town?”
“No, we’re moving back to America.”
WOAH! HOLD UP! Moving back to America!?
“But why? We can’t! I actually have friends here in Australia!”
“I knew you’d be upset but work wants us to move there again, I get paid more and we leave next week.”
I sat there fuming! I was so angry I didn’t want to leave Australia for the second time. Mum left to go to work straight away because she was running late.
I sat in front of my mirror trying to forget about everything that just happened and finished getting ready.

My family and I are originally from Australia; I was born in Queensland and lived there in Cairns till I was about 5. My mum, my older brother and I moved to America not long after my 5th birthday for mums work. I had trouble making friends at school though. My only friends I had was my neighbour Zach Porter and his best friend Cameron Quiseng. I was closer to Zach though because we were neighbours and we grew up together in the small town called Poway in San Diego, California.

It was 7:45am; time to leave to go to the bus stop. I had just walked out of my close and down the rest of Taringa St when I started to think again. ‘I am a fifteen year old girl in year 10 with an amazing boyfriend and tones of amazing friends and to think I can just leave everyone all of a sudden with such late notice. It was going to be difficult to say goodbye to everyone!

Taringa St came to an end and I was walking on to Matherson Dr when I bumped into Casey. Casey was one of my close mates, we both caught the bus together because he lives two streets away from me.
“Oi Joeey, you alright?”
“Yeah everything is cool. I’m just moving to America next week for only god knows how long and I only found out today.” I said sarcastically while I kept walking with his little brother Riley who is in year 8. Casey just stood there for a bit in shock.
“JOEEY!” He said as he started to run to catch up with Riley and I. “You can’t leave! Just no!”
“Sorry Casey but I can’t change what mums work decides...”
Casey just wimped and we all walked in silence.

After what seemed forever we finally got to the bus stop. Not long after we got there the bus came. We all paid our $1.50 bus fair and Casey came and sat down next to me. I shoved in my ear phones as quickly as possible to avoid anything Casey says to me because I just wasn’t in the mood to talk to him. I started to play my music; I leant my head on the window, closed my eyes and breathed in and out. I opened my eyes and thought to myself ‘This is going to be the worst week ever.’ As the last of the people from my stop got on the bus started to drive off to the next stop.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the first story I have ever written, I've had two people read it already and was given good feed back from this first chapter. I hope you like it and it would be lovely if you could give me some feedback to enthuse me to write more! (: I'm going to write my second chapter either tonight or at school and will most likely have it up tomorrow.