Status: complete(: sequel has been posted.

Weightless

014

“So!” Jack exclaimed, making Chloe jump a little. “What’s up with the Bo and Mop stuff?” His gaze was trained on Chloe and she shifted uncomfortably.

“When Chloe was little, she had a stuffed animal. It was a sheep and she carried it around with her everywhere she went.” Zack answered, his face breaking out in a smile as he recalled the memory. “She was really tiny too, and her hair was a mess of curls. I called her Little Bo Peep one day and it just kind of stuck.” He shrugged, still smiling.

“And Zack’s hair was awful.” Chloe giggled. Her cousin glared teasingly at her from the front seat. “Seriously, he never cut it. He spilled milk in the kitchen once and his mom handed him a mop and told him he had to clean it up.” She laughed again, covering her face.

“She stole the mop and told me to just use my head because it looked like a mop already.” Zack finished.

Chloe burst into giggles as Zack reached back and tweaked her nose. She stuck her tongue out at him.

“It’s not even that funny really. But we were eight and I thought I was so clever. You were so mad.”

“I made Mom take me to the barber shop and cut all my hair off the next day.”

“Always so dramatic, Mop.”

Rian, Jack, and Alex watched the cousins interact with interest. This was the most they had ever seen Chloe talk, besides Alex of course. But this was the first that any one of them had seen Chloe happy. Jack looked absolutely thrilled, Rian somewhat amused, and Alex was smiling quietly to himself. He could picture Chloe as a child perfectly, dragging a ragged stuffed sheep around behind her, making fun of Zack. He wondered what had possibly happened to the happy, smiling child he was imaging in his head. How had she turned into this fragile, guarded teenager that only trusted her cousin, only allowed herself to be happy in Zack’s presence?

Alex snapped out of his thoughts as something cold touched his shoulder. He blinked and realized it was Chloe’s small hand. He realized the car had come to a stop. Rian was already unlocking the door, Jack right behind him. Zack was standing outside of the door waiting for Chloe. Alex caught the murderous look in Zack’s eyes and realized he had found out about Chloe’s wrist. It was probably taking all of his willpower not to deck Alex in the face. He was surprised he had even left Chloe alone in the car with him.

“Look, Zack isn’t going to do anything to you. Give him space though, okay?” She said softly, her eyes warmer than usual.

Alex looked at her in shock. Chloe had been so pissed at him this morning he thought she would have jumped at the for Zack to hit him.

“C’mon, Alex.” She snapped, her eyes back to normal. “You’ve got practice.”

She hopped out of the car, Zack linking his fingers through hers as they walked towards the house. Alex sat for a moment longer before following the cousins inside. Seriously, what the fuck happened inside of that girl’s head? The more she confused him, the more he wanted her. He wanted her to be the way she was with Zack around him. He wanted to be the reason she giggled, the reason she smiled. There was so much hurt inside of her and Alex wanted to be the one to heal her. He couldn’t explain it really, seeing as he’d only known the girl for two days. She was just so different. He was used to getting any girl he wanted without it being a challenge. But Chloe was such a challenge, and for once, he wanted something more than sex from her. He wanted something more meaningful.

“Alex, get in here!” Jack yelled from the door and Alex realized he had been lost in his thoughts again. He jogged up the steps, ready to start practice so he could lose himself in the music instead of his mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not too sure how I feel about this chapter, but I love Chloe and Zack's relationship. I figured it was time I explain their nicknames since I realized I had never done that. Sometimes I just assume everyone knows what's going on in my head haha Also, I changed the pictures of the boys in the Characters tab. Yes they're all from Dear Maria, sue me.

Special thanks to Helpless for commenting!(: