The Lovely Predator

Chapter 4

The night before prom. . . Sunday

I can honestly say that the sight of Hayden's hands making contact with Mabel's body was currently annoying my position in life; the third-wheel. My siblings, Mabel, Hayden and I were all at the mall, doing some 'just in case' last minute shopping. Hayden just tagged along since he 'had nothing better to do' and Mabel wanted an excuse to see him. I lost Madison and Mason, so I had to walk with Hayden and Mabel.

" I want a cookie," Mabel says as we pass by a cookie shop.

" Then go get one," Hayden implies, letting go of her waist.

" Oh, okay," she replies. She gives me a look that says 'that wasn't what was supposed to happen' and I try hard to hide my smile.

Hayden turns to me when Mabel walks away. " Ren, I can buy you one if you want."

" What do I look like? A charity case?!" I yell, although, I was flattered.

" I'm sorry?"

" Maybe you should go buy one for your girlfriend, not her best friend."

" She's not my girlfrie-"

" Well, then stop touching her like she is!"

He looks at me with a confused expression, which turns into a smirk. " Why? Does it bother you, Serenity?"

" What? N-No, it's just-"

" I think it does."

" No it doesn't!"

" You're in denial."

" You're being pushy!"

" Sure, I am."

" Besides, why would I be jealous over a manwhore like you?"

He fakes a gasps and puts a hand over his chest, " You called me a manwhore?"

I cross my arms and look away, to hide my blush, " You sound like one."

" How do I sound like one? Is it my sarcastic tone? I can change that, Serenity, I put it on my life."

" Shut up! I meant sleeping around, having orgies. . ."

" I'm guessing the rumors got to you too, huh?"

I look back at him and say " Well, you aren't denying them."

" I'm not saying yes to them either."

" What do you mean?"

" Baby! I got a cookie pizza!" Mabel interjects, running towards us like a child.

__________________________________________________________

Prom night. . .

Prom night is finally here! I'm nowhere near excited, just nervous and thinking what the hell I'm going to do once I get there. Nobody asked me out- and I'm not disappointed or anything- but seriously, I can't dance alone!

" I'm sure somebody there will ask you to dance with them," Madison says, as she adjusts my dress from behind.

" Yeah, like some nerd?" I ask, glaring at her through the mirror.

" Let's just hope he's human," she says, giving me a sweet smile and walks away.

Great.

Madison rode with her date. Mason took me and his date over to the Civic Center, where the prom was being held.

" Oh my gosh! Serenity you look so beautiful!" I hear Mabel's voice coming towards me. Before I can find her, she's already slamming into me from my right and hugging me tightly. Wow, her perfume's a bit too strong.

" Thanks, you too," I say back.

" Where's your date?" She steps back, not taking her hands off my bare shoulders.

" Uh. . ."

" Don't tell me nobody asked you out!"

" N-no-"

" No worries, Ren, you can have a dance with me," Hayden pops out, wrapping an arm around Mabel's shoulders and the other one in his pocket.

I took in his charcoal tuxedo and tie that matched with Mabel's dress and rose. His hair never left his face, but it revealed his eyes more than usual and it was more spiked at the ends. Speaking about his eyes, they weren't their usual hazel-gray. They were just plain old gray.

Dismissing the conversation from earlier, I stare Hayden straight in the eyes and ask " Are you wearing contacts?"

He was about to open his mouth, but Mabel interrupted. " Isn't that cool? I noticed that yesterday. It's a muta- what was it?"

" Mutation," he states, not taking his eyes off of me.

" Oh, cool."

" Well, I doubt the party is out here. Why don't we go inside and check if that's where it's at?" Hayden asks, smirking at Mabel.

" Yeah, I totally doubt it's in there," Mabel responds in a sarcastic tone. She takes Hayden's hand and starts to lead him into the astounding building before us. I wait for them to get further away from me and begin to follow.

At the entrance I see that they're taking pictures. Some are pictures of girls who went as a group and others are of couples. As the camera man took a picture of Mabel and Hayden I just walked behind him to avoid a lonely snapshot. This is going to be one long-ass night.

One agonizing hour of sitting at a round table I claimed as my own and walking to the punch bowl every five minutes, I look over to the table Hayden and Mabel sat at. Hayden's there by himself with his head down and his hands supporting it. Me, being my stupid self, walk over to him.

" Hey," I shout, over the loud music.

He looks up and greets me with a cute smile. "Hey."

" Where's Mabel?"

" In the restroom. She said she didn't feel well."

" Oh, why?"

" I dunno," he stated dully, putting his head down again.

" Are you okay? You look like you've just been rejected."

He looks back up at me, " Peachy fuckin' keen."

"Rude much?"

" Not-in-the-mood much."

" Fine, I'll leave you alone," and with that I leave him and start heading to the punch bowl. So much for trying to start a conversation.

I take a sip of my punch and begin to wonder why I haven't felt the urge to use it.

" This is like the tenth time I see you walk up here," a guy's voice startles me out of my reverie, causing me to drop some of my drink. " Sorry, I guess you were daydreaming."

I look up to him and notice he's wearing a velvet blazer with black jeans and spiked up hair. Eww. . . " It's okay. It's my fault for daydreaming in the first place," stupid excuse!

" Right. . ." he says in an awkward tone. " So are you here with someone or what?"

" No, I'm alone," I respond, preparing myself for major humiliation.

" Really? A fine lady like you shouldn't be alone. I expected you to have a date."

Not what I was expecting. " Y-Yeah, thanks, but I'm better off alo-."

" In fact, she's with me," I then hear Hayden's voice as he approached us.

" Oh, so you are here with a date," the guy says, giving me a cheesy grin.

" Yeah," Hayden responds, putting his arm around my shoulder, causing me to blush.

" Wait, what?" I ask confused. He doesn't respond. He just grabs my arm and pulls me away. " Where are we going?"

" Pretend to dance," he replies grimly.

" What? Why?" I ask, in a more demanding tone.

" To make it look convincing. I don't like that guy. I already know him."

" I am not going to be a victim of whatever the hell he was planning to do with me! What if he really wanted to have me as his prom date? You just ruined an opportunity!" I yell, struggling to release myself.

" Guys?" Mabel walks up to us with a brown napkin in hand. Hayden quickly lets go of me and I move a few feet away from him. " What's going on?"

" Hayden just cock blocked," I mumble, crossing my arms.

Mabel laughs hard and asks " You what?"

Hayden goes up to her and grabs her hand, " I was just doing her brother and herself a favor."

" Weren't you telling me to leave you alone a while ago?"

" Can you just thank me and get over it?"

" I can't! Now I gotta sit here like an idiot the rest of the party!" I exclaim.

" Hayden, why don't you dance with Ren?" Mabel asks, wearing a hopeful grin.

" No thanks, I don't dance with ingrates," he responds, pulling Mabel with him. She doesn't say anything, but gives me a sorry look.

Great, now he hates me!