The Lovely Predator

Chapter 5

After prom, which wasn't my best day, I rode home with Mason and his date to our house. It was sort of hard for me to stop thinking about almost getting raped. Good thing I didn't witness the full event. I noticed dozens of cars parked on our street and a bunch of people chatting on our lawn. Great, the after party begins.

I waited about 30 minutes on one couch spot for Mabel to arrive with Hayden. The house was getting warm and humid, even though the air conditioner was on high. My ears finally adjusted to the music booming through the speakers and the people hollering around me.

I finally see Hayden come through the door with an exhausted look on his face. I immediately stand up and go up to him, expecting Mabel to walk in behind him. Unfortunately, she wasn't around.

" Hey, where's Mabel?" I ask Hayden, lightly gripping his shoulder to get his attention.

" She didn't look so good, so I took her home," he responded.

" I bet she was angry, huh?"

" To my surprise, no. She just agreed for me to take her home."

Huh. That's not like her. " Do you know why she felt sick?"

" I didn't bother to ask her," he stated. He started to walk towards the kitchen as a sign of dismissing the conversation.

" Okay then, I'll call her," I say to myself.

I go outside to where it's more silent and dial Mabel's phone. It rings a few times until I hear a feminine voice with a hoarse "Hey".

" Hey Mae! I see you didn't make it to the after-party," I said in a light tone, trying to hide the slight irritation I had. I have to live this night alone!

" Yeah, I think the food I ate at the prom was poisonous to me. I ran to the restroom to vomit three times!" she exclaimed.

" Oh wow. So you got food poisoning."

" Yes, I guess. So I suggested to go home," I thought Hayden did? " I feared that I would vomit into Hayden's mouth if we attempted to kiss."

" That would be harsh," I told her, with a disgusted expression at the thought.

" Yes! But hey, I still have a chance. I think, or hope, we're still together."

If you two ever were. " Well, I'll talk to you later. I'm all sweaty and I need to renew my make-up."

" Okay," she laughed.

" Hope you get better!"

" Hope you have fun at the party!"

" Yeah, don't get your hopes up," she and I both laughed and with that we hung up.

" Hey, Madison!" I shout over the loud music that surrounded our home.

" Yeah?" She shouts back. She has a huge smile on her face as she approaches me.

" I'm gonna go change my make-up. The house is too hot and I feel sweaty," I explained.

" Yeah, you go do that, because you look like you've been crying your eyes out," Madison said. Then she walks back to her group of friends.

I walk to my room, hiding my face from everyone to avoid questioning. I open the door to my bedroom and walk in. It's total darkness. The only light that shone was from my window, which didn't light anything, but the empty floor. I turn my light on, lock the door and walk straight to my vanity table. I let out a satisfied sigh as I sit down on the cushioned chair. Damn, I've been standing on these damn heels for so long, it's nice to finally sit.

I look in the mirror, ready to remove my blush until something catches my eye.

"Ahh!!!" My heart speeds up, and I let out a scream loud enough to quiet down some the people outside my door. I stand up quickly, hitting my knee under my vanity table and knocking some cosmetics over.

Hayden was laying on my bed with his arm over his face to avoid the light.

" Jeezus, you scared the shit out of me, Hayden!" I yelled. "What are you doing in my room!? Get out!"

" Shh. . ." he said, putting a finger to his lips. " Stop yelling, I'm right here, I can hear you, Serenity," his voice was hoarse.

" What the hell are you doing in my room?" I asked again, trying to calm my rapidly beating heart.

" I felt tired and needed to rest. I came across the first bedroom- which was yours- and here I am," he explained, sitting up slowly.

" Then go home!"

" I can't. I'm too exhausted to drive. I'm afraid I might fall asleep behind the wheel."

" You should've gotten Mason to drive you home then."

" Your brother is under the influence right now, Serenity."

" You mean drunk?"

" Mhmm. . ."

" Well, you should've at least let me know you were going to be here," I said, sitting back down at my vanity table, " I could've died of a heart attack or something."

He just chuckles. Strands of his black hair hang over his face as he looks down, covering his beautiful hazel-gray eyes. " Sorry, I'm sure there won't be a next time. If there is, I'll let you know."

" Thanks, much appreciated," I say, laughing lightly. I just stare at him through my mirror. He's still sitting on my bed and looking at the floor. Then he slowly brings his head up and we lock eyes through the mirror.

I turn around to look at him better. Suddenly, I feel an urge to go over and kiss his perfect lips. Oh, what the hell? I'll do it!

I get up and start walking towards him, my heart rate increasing and blood coursing quickly through my veins, heating my face up. Our eyes don't leave each other, not once. As I got closer he stood up. I notice his eyes changing from hazel-gray to gray and then to pitch black. I place my hands on his shoulder and he places his on my hips. He's still looking at me, expecting me to kiss him. What's wrong with me? I crash my lips to his. The feeling wasn't as expected though.

I feel as if all my energy was suddenly drained away from me and I start to stumble, wanting to fall down. He turns us around and lays me on the bed. He looks at me with a wicked smile as he slowly backs up towards the door. My vision starts to blur. I feel so exhausted all of a sudden, but why? What happened? He opens the door, turns off the lights and walks out.

" Alright! Let's get this party started!" He yells, and I hear everyone outside cheering. I then blackout, falling into a deep slumber.

" Serenity!" Madison's yell startles me awake. I quickly sit up and take in my surroundings. " You scared me to death!"

" Wha...?" I ask, almost breathless.

" I thought you left with someone or got kidnapped! Although, it's stupid of me for not searching your room first."

" What happened last night?"

" You tell me! You're still in your dress and heels! You didn't even remove your nasty make-up," she replies, shaking her head.

I look at myself and notice that I was still in my prom dress. " I guess I was so tired-"

" Yeah, well, I guess you were. Go clean yourself up and come eat breakfast," and with that, she leaves my room.

I sit up and feel dizzy all of a sudden. What happened last night? I went to prom, came here and. . . Did I drink? No, I know I don't drink! As I lay my hand on my bed, something cool slides down and makes contact with my wrist. A golden bracelet? I pick it up and see that there's something engraved into it. Ребенок демона. I'm not sure what kind of letters they are, or how to pronounce it. I'm guessing Greek?

" Febehok Amoha?" I silently pronounced. No, I don't think that's how you say it, but that's what it looks like. Suddenly, a small flashback of last night ran through my mind. Hayden was here! Don't tell me I fell asleep with him here! Please tell me we didn't do anything! Just to make sure, I sit up straight. Nope, no pain. . . Wow, what am I doing? Could this belong to him? Nobody else came into my room, at least I think not. I hope not.