Status: One-Shot

Malicious Intent

My Tongue Will Taste of Gin and Malicious Intent

I heard him stumble into the house. I was asleep already, as usual, and he had woken me up with the slam of the front door. I looked at the clock next to the bed and saw that it was 2:30 a.m. He was home earlier than most nights. I sighed as I slipped out of bed and walked out into the hall.
He was passed out on the couch with his feet hanging off the side. Only one shoe was on the floor, while the other was still attached to his foot. I sighed once more as I stepped forward, pulled the remaining shoe off, and set it next to the other one. I shook John’s shoulder slightly to wake him up.
“Come on. You don’t want to sleep out on the couch, do you?” I whispered to him. His eyes opened slowly and an empty look appeared on his face. He smiled slightly, but I knew he wasn’t smiling for me. I helped him sit up before pulling him off the couch. He put all of his weight on me and I did my best to drag him into the bedroom. I sat him on the bed before pulling off his jacket and throwing it onto the chair in the corner. He lay down and was asleep within minutes. I went around to the other side of the bed, pulled the covers back, and climbed in. I pulled the blanket up to my chin and closed my tear-filled eyes.

******

“You got home earlier than usual last night.” I stated as John walked into the kitchen, clearly nursing a hangover.
“And?” He grumbled.
“It…was just different for you. I’m not used to seeing you get home so early.”
“Not everyone lives by the same routine like you do.” He pulled open the refrigerator and took out a water bottle. He walked out of the kitchen and went back into the bedroom. I finished my bowl of cereal and placed the dirty dishes in the sink for me to wash later. I went back into the bedroom to grab my jacket.
“I assume you’ll be gone when I come home from work?” I asked, already knowing the answer.
“Depends. What time do you get home?”
I sighed. “You know what time I come home. I come home at the same time everyday. I’m off at 6 and I’m home by 6:30.”
“Yeah, I’ll be out.” John rolled over in bed and pulled the covers over his head.
“Figures. I guess I’ll see you whenever you get home then.” I started to walk out of the room when his voice stopped me.
“You don’t have to have so much attitude, you know.” I turned around to face him.
“It’s hard not to when I have to deal with you everyday. You make everything so hard, John.”
“Then why are you still here?” I can’t count how many times he’s asked me that question.
“I have to go to work, now.” I turned on my heel and went out the front door.
The truth was I didn’t know why I was still there. What we had, was it even considered love? I know that’s what it used to be.

I walked into the small art studio and went straight to my desk. It was an everyday occurrence, yet today seemed so different. I sighed for probably the hundredth time that day as I set my purse down.
“You’re not looking well, Liv.” My best friend, always stating what was obvious.
“I am well aware of that, Kameron.” She sat down next to me.
“Why are you still with him? He obviously doesn’t love you anymore.”
“You don’t get him like I do.”
“What’s to get, Olivia? He goes out every night, has sex with random girls, and then comes home to you. That isn’t a relationship. At this point, you’re merely roommates.”
“I’d rather him come home to me then have to sleep alone each night.”
“Are you serious? You deserve better. John was ‘the one’ once, but he’s not anymore.”
“But I still love him.”

John

“Then why are you still here?” I asked her the same question almost everyday, but she would never give me the answer. She would always say, “I have to go to work, now.” And walk out the front door. Today was no different.
Once the front door shut, I pulled the covers back over my head and slept for a few more hours before I was woken up by my ringing cell phone on the nightstand next to me. I groaned as I rolled over to pick it up.
“Hello?”
“Still sleeping, huh?” Kennedy asked.
“I was, until someone woke me up by calling me. What do you want?”
“What time are we meeting Garrett tonight?”
“Same time as every night, Ken.” I sighed. “I’m gonna go shower. I’ll see you later.” I hung up the phone, set it back on the nightstand, and headed for the bathroom.

Once I was showered and dressed, I grabbed my phone and my keys and headed to my car. I picked up Kennedy from down the street and drove over to Garrett’s house. We picked him up and then we were off.
Within no time, we were all buzzed and ready for more.
“Hey there.” I heard from behind me. Just by the sound of her voice, I could tell it was going to be a good night. I turned around with a smirk already plastered on my face.
“Hey.”
“You look like that kind of guy that likes to dance. What do you say: dance with me?” I nodded my head a wrapped an arm around her shoulders as we went to the dance floor. Her backside was against my front and I was feeling good. And after a few more drinks in the both of us, she was walking me down the street to her place.

She threw open the door and pulled him in after her. Our lips were attached and her hands were in my hair. She knew what she wanted and how to get it. I liked that. She led me to her bed and pulled me onto it. She had begun to shed her clothing on the way to the room, but I hadn’t even noticed until now. I slipped my arms out of the sleeves of my jacket and threw it to the ground. The rest of my clothes followed.

I woke up at around 3:00 a.m. I looked to see the naked girl next to me and I tried to recall her name. Nothing came to me. I don’t even know if she ever told it to me. I slid out of the bed and slipped my clothes back on. The girl rolled over and her eyes opened.
“You’re not staying over?” She asked.
“No, I’ve got a girlfriend to get home to.” Yeah, I sounded like an ass, but it wasn’t as if Olivia and I were getting along or doing anything together anymore.
“Girlfriend?” She sounded shocked. I nodded as I threw on my jacket. I made it to the door before I heard her ask, “Will I ever see you again?”
“Like this? I doubt it. But walking around the clubs? I’m sure you will.” I walked down the hallway of her apartment and slipped out the front door. I made my way back to the club and to my car, not worrying about whether Garrett or Kennedy got home safely. They usually found some way home without me.

I don’t remember what time I got home, but the lights in the living room were still on. That was weird. Olivia was never up this late. I opened the front door and found her asleep on the couch. I smiled half-heartedly thinking about the times she would attempt to wait up for me when I got home from tour. I’d find her asleep on the couch, just like this, and she would wake up the second I opened the front door.
But tonight, she didn’t even hear the door. I walked over to the couch a kissed her cheek gently. That’s when she woke up.
“Oh, you’re home.” She said with the sound of sleep in her voice. She sat up and stretched a little before shutting off the TV and heading for the bedroom. I slipped off my shoes and my jacket and followed her to the room, turning the living room light off as I went. I found her already wrapped up in the blankets, eyes closed. I stripped down to my boxers and climbed in next to her. I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her closer.
“Not tonight, John.” She pulled my hands off her faced the wall.
“Come on.” I whined as I moved closer, pressing my lips to her neck softly.
“I said not tonight.” She sighed. I left her alone this time, rolling over so our backs were facing each other.
It was obvious she had sensed my anger because I felt the bed move as she rolled back over to face me.
“John.” I turned to look up at the ceiling, but she knew I was listening. “You know, I love you, John. And you know I’ll always be here at home when you’re done hanging out with your friends, doing whatever it is you do. But can you answer one question?” I turned so we were looking right at each other.
“Yeah.”
“Do you…still love me the way I love you?” I thought it over for a minute. If I didn’t still love her, would I even still be here with her? Then again, it’s not as if I had anywhere else to go.
“You know I do.” I said, finally. I saw her lips curve into a slight smile. She wrapped her arms around my neck and attached our lips. Before I knew it, her clothes were on the floor as well as mine.

It worked every time.
♠ ♠ ♠
My first one-shot. I hope you like it! :)
This is what I got from the lyrics of the song.
Sorry it didn't have a happy ending. The song isn't really a "happy" story so this is what I came up with.