Sequel: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
Status: Soon to be re-written!

Teethmarks and Wolf Pelts

an agreement

"Priss, wake up," my mother whispers, pushing me lightly until I open my eyes. I rub the sleep out of my eyes to find my mother in tears. Her brown hair is pulled back into a sloppy pony tail and she hasn't bothered to get dressed. I sit up.

"Mom, what's wrong?" She sits next to me on my bed and wraps her arms around me. Will she still love me if tend to grow a tail? I try not to let my emotions show. My decision is final. I'm becoming two natured, whether she likes it or not. I take a shallow breath and wait for her answer. She sobs for a moment.

"A boy... from Bakerson. He was killed last night," Mom chokes on her breath before continuing, "He was killed last night. I realized it could have been you and I-" She wipes her eyes. "I'm just happy it wasn't you last night."

"Killed? Like murdered?" I ask, recalling that Carter had been from Bakerson. He's part of my -soon to be- pack. What if someone is targeting kids from Bakerson? What if they're targeting werefoxes?

"Shot, four times in the chest," she says as her breathing starts to regulate. I really don't blame her for being upset. Sure, she'd seen me safe and sound last night but what if she hadn't? It's a scary time. "Anyway, school's canceled for today. I was wondering if maybe you'd like to have dinner when I get home from work?"

"I'd like that, Mom," I smile as best as I can and tuck my questions away. I'll have to leave after Mom goes to work, go over to Lewis. I'll ask him my questions, plus I'll tell him my decision. Mom leaves after that and about an hour later, she heads out for work. Before she leaves, I make sure to give her a big hug goodbye and promise her that I'll be ready for dinner when she gets home.

After that, I go back upstairs and get myself dressed, trying to look presentable when I go see Lewis later.

Image


Lewis either didn't care much for my arrival or had felt he could be comfortable with me because he was only in basketball shorts and a tee-shirt when I drove up. He smiles slightly at me and opens my door for me. He'd given me the address for his house, which was totally empty for the day. Now that I think about it, there's not much I know about Lewis's personal life. I'm pretty sure his parents are divorced and that he lives with his father, but I can't be sure.

"You look pretty today," he says softly and I have to agree. I'd dressed in a pair of black flats, some black dress pants, and a nice white dress shirt with a v-neck collar and short sleeves. Around my waist is a black belt and it matched the feathered headband I had put in my now-curled hair. If it isn't for him, it's for my mom.

"Thanks," I say as he leads me into his home. On the outside, it looks like your average one-story two bedroom place, but on the inside, it feels empty. There's two Lay-Z-boys in the back of the room and a large flat screen hanging opposite the chairs. His kitchen is connected to the living room by a tiny breakfast bar, but only contains a table with two chairs, a coffee pot, a microwave, a stove, and a fridge. I wouldn't be surprised if the cabinets in there empty. Lewis moves a strand of his blond hair from his face, taking me to the kitchen and pulling out a chair for me.

"What brings you here?"

"The shooting. The one in-"

"Bakerson. Yeah, I heard," Lewis looks down. "I'm surprised you're the first to confront me about it."

"Was he... like you?" I'm cautious choosing my words, half tempted to say we. The more I think about it, the more it feels right to be one of the two natured. Like it's in my blood or something.

"He was one of the werefoxes from the little battle on Sunday. You remember, right? They hurt Felix."

"Oh God, Lewis!" Suddenly, something else pops into my head. "Did you have something to do with it?"

"Ha. I wish," he says but lowers his eyes when he sees my mortified expression. "If it had been me, or anyone other two natured, not only would it have been covered up as an animal mauling or car accident, something- but we wouldn't have shot him. We would have ripped him to shreds."

I take a deep breath, trying to process the fact that he is capable of doing such a thing. That any two natured is capable of the kill. "So, what does it mean? Him being shot?"

"It can mean one of two things. Either someone just shot him in your normal, well psychotic, human shooting or it could have been a Hunter." I narrow my eyes at him. I can get a pretty good idea of what a Hunter is, but I would love it explained to me. "Hunters are just like you see on TV. They hunt us down, kills us. See, we try to keep secret from humans, but sometimes we tell them -like you- or sometimes the catch a glimpse. Those people usually look it up online and Hunters keep track of that stuff, so they'll recruit them. Some are born into it like a family business."

"But you guys heal super fast. You can't be killed that easy, right?"

"Exactly right," Lewis says coyly. "It's certainly not like you think, though. Silver hurts us just like it would hurt a human. Taking a regular or silver bullet to any vital spot may kill us, but if it doesn't, it'll take several weeks to heal. The only thing that can actually kill us is aconite."

"Aconite?" This is a word that I had never heard before. Never spoken or read, but something about it seems to give me the chills.

"You know, monkshood, Devil's Helmet- Wolfsbane," Lewis shivers at his words, his light blue eyes growing cloudy. "Find a way to use it in a bullet or any other way- that shit will kill us instantly." Lewis crooks his head and looks at me. He bites his lip, really not sure of what he wants to ask. "This isn't all you came here for, is it?"

"No, it's not," I admit. I draw in another long breath. "Last night, Felix told me that you were hinting that you were offering to turn me."

Lewis looks down at the table. "Oh?"

"Yeah, and I want you to know that I'll do it." His face snaps toward mine the moment the words come out of my mouth. His eyes are no longer hazy, but there's something else showing in them now. Intrigue, perhaps? "I want to find Connor, bring him home. If becoming two natured is the only way, I'm up for the challenge."

"I can't just turn you without educating you. Felix may have told you some things, but there's a lot to know Priscilla. Plus, once I turn you, I'll have to train you in how to control yourself and how to turn at will. It's a lot different when you're bitten rather than being a pureblood."

"Well, how fast do you think you can teach me? We're wasting time as it is. We need him home," I try to blink back tears that are starting to form. "I need him home." Lewis nods slowly and puts his hand on my shoulder. There's something so relaxing about the gesture.

"I think I can give you most of the basics in less than three days. Two, if we manage our time right."

"So we're going to do this?" I ask, a smile now on my face. The tears are still there, but somehow I think I'll be okay for the rest of the day. Lewis is about to make everything okay for me. I'll have to make a sacrifice, but that's what you do for your friends.

"You just have to know that there's no turning back."

"I know." And just like that, I go back outside, get in my car, and drive home. Satisfaction courses through my veins and a smirk is plastered on my face. This is my last few nights being a human, being useless, being a no body. This is my last few nights without Connor. Starting right now, I will stop taking no for an answer.

As of right now, I am the most determined girl on the planet.
♠ ♠ ♠
I plan to update soon.
Title suggestions for the next book?
I was thinking either Let Sleeping Dogs Lie or Wolf in Sheep's Clothing.
Got any ideas?