Sequel: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
Status: Soon to be re-written!

Teethmarks and Wolf Pelts

canis lupus

Though the forest surrounding the old decrepit cabin was empty and soundless, I can feel that I'm not alone. I'm beginning to realize that being two natured means you're never quite alone. You always have that connection with the pack, always hear the humans and animals around you, no matter how far away they are. You can always feel when another two natured is nearby and that is the feeling that I am beginning to get. Emotions that are anything but human rise up inside. They're not mine, but rather a werefox I can feel in the distance. I'm not sure if he's paying attention to me or has sensed me yet, but suddenly, I panic.

With a large leap, I force the door of the cabin open with short creak. I sigh inwardly as I close it quickly and find an old table to duck under. This cabin had to be more than 80 years old and the inside clearly showed it. While it was kept up to date with appliances and electricity and stuff, but the wood it had been built with was moldy and weak looking. A simple punch would send your fist through the wall with ease, if you cared to do so.

Unluckily, the creak of the door had sent the werefox's feelings into a frenzy. If he hadn't been aware of my presence before, he clearly is now. I can feel him shift forms and start rushing toward my direction. I silently curse Lewis for this. From what he'd told me, coming here after school would be a good idea. I had even called him while he was in class and he'd assured me that the werefoxes would be nothing but friendly and accommodating.

Then again, I did wander into their territory and then break into their cabin.

The fox rammed the door open, head first. It's rather large for a fox. It probably comes up to my thigh, if I were to be standing. Seeing no use in hiding from the fox -knowing he'll just sniff me out- I crawl away from the table and stand, holding up my arms in surrender. The animal snarls, barring its teeth.

"Wait!" I exclaim, "I can explain."

"We don't need your lies, lupus," comes a voice. A tall handsome boy steps into the cabin, having to hunch over as he is too tall for the door frame. He's pale with fair, golden red hair and eyes that are unnaturally green. Even in a human state, this man didn't even feel any semblance to a human. His emotions felt animistic, primal.

"What did you just call me?" I ask, not sure whether or not to be offended. The boy -er, it seems better fit to call him a man- leans against the rotted door frame, shaking his head at little ole me backed up against wall, surrendering to a lone fox.

"Lupus, or to be more specific; Canis Lupus. It's the genus name for wolves. Do you know nothing of your kind?" His smirk is totally because of my lack of knowledge of my own species. His smirk is at his small triumph of wit.

"I was only turned about a week or ago," I whisper.

The man looks unimpressed. He narrows his bright eyes at me, filing away at my innermost feeling, trying to find some sort of fault with me or a reason for me being here. "Tell me why you are here, lupus, before I have Ferdinand here rip out your throat."

I look down at the snarling creature in front of me. It's almost hard not to laugh at his name. Apparently the werefoxes don't use code names to protect their identities like the wolves do. I cautiously take a step to my right, trying to put just a tad bit more distance between us. I look at the man with the electric eyes. "My Alpha sent me, to offer an alliance."

He raises a skeptical eyebrow. "Who's your Alpha?"

"Lewis-"

"Lewis Hill is a murderer!" The man screams at me, interrupting my thoughts. He slams his fist into the door frame and as I had expected earlier, it breaks into a fist-sized hole. The wood breaks with a soft crack, splinters flying to the floor. The man's face twists in anger, distorting his once beautiful features. I see his eyes start to change, forming into those of a fox. His nose starts to elongate but as I watch, he forces the Change back. Ferdinand quickly becomes human again, rushing over to who I assume is his master's side.

"Damon, please, calm down," his voice is low and steady. "I'm begging you." Damon didn't say anything, just clenched his fist and shut his eyes.

"I'm not sure what's going on here, but it's clear I should go," I say softly as I make my way to the cabin door. I slip past Damon, our chests barely brushing against each other. I consider taking off in a full sprint to my car. It's not too far away, so if I make a quick break for it, I may have a good chance at running away from them. But, oddly, I turn back around, and call out to the werefox.

"I'm sorry!" I shout.

"About?" Damon asks, shouting back, eyes still closed.

"I know one of yours was recently killed by the Hunters. So was my friend Connor. I know how you must feel and I'm sorry," I offer, but at that moment Damon strides out of the cabin and into the open air with me. I take a few steps back when I see the anger embedded within his eyes.

"The Hunters may have killed Lyle," he spits on the ground and looks up at me with a jarring scowl. "But it was Lewis, your leader, who was behind it. He ordered the attack!"

"You're crazy," I say slowly, "Why would any two natured order that kind of destruction on another one of us?"

"Because Lewis Hill is one psychopathic son of a bitch. He'll do anything to become the biggest, baddest, most feared creature around! He's mad! Power hungry!"

"He is not! Lewis is kind, and he's-"

"Go." Damon mutters the word with definite distaste. His fists are clenched once again but his whole body has started to tremble. Just like before, his features are distorting to him as he turns more and more fox-like. In a matter of seconds Damon has taken on his second nature. He lowers himself, ready to pounce. He lets out a large snarl- a loud, frightening one at that. I turn on my heels and immediately start running. I push through wavering branches and leap over fallen trees. Behind me I can hear the thud of paws on the ground. He's in hot pursuit of me and I know that in this form, I'll never make it.

I don't have much time and so as I leap over the neck fallen tree trunk, I shift midair. My bulky, furry body lands with less grace than I would like. I suddenly let Ember take control of the body, knowing that she is an expert runner. Though I can hear the snapping of Damon's jaws behind me, Ember easily evades him and soon we emerge to the empty highway. I push myself from this body to the other, trying desperately to open the car door. Finally, I get it open and just in the nick of time. I leap into the car and shut the door firmly behind me as Damon, now in human form, reaches the car.

The man just shakes his head at me as I slide over to the driver's side and click the button that locks the door. The action is completely futile. Two natured are stronger than any regular man and could pull the door open with ease. Luckily for me, he must feel civilized enough not to chase me down any more. He whispers a few words, but even if I didn't have super hearing, I could have easily have read his lips.

"You best be careful. The boy you respect so much is a cold blooded killer."

As I speed away, I keep my eyes trained on the rear-view mirror. Trained on those electric green eyes of the werefox. As I drive away, a shaky feeling starts to cover my whole body. With those eyes on mine in the mirror as I make my way home, I can't help but think, What if he's right?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the late update...
Soon, this will be finished. <3
Can't wait for the next story! New characters, old ones, and all I can tell you know is that Priss will find herself deeper in the politics of the two natured than she ever wanted to be :P
Comments are loved :D