Status: NEEDS REWRITING

***NEED WORK

Chapter 19: Next Game

Mivian's POV

I stood back up slowly, my eyes scanning the trees in front of me.
It was so close; the murderous volition was tangible in the air. It was chilling. I wheeled around, searching and prying into the shadows.

Nothing.

The shadows were overwhelming and intimidating. It was as if it was sucking the air we needed from the space. The dark shadows took up so much space it was as if I had zero visibility.
"It's so close," Darvien said darkly.

He was still propped up against the tree trunk, unable to stand. I felt like kicking myself.
He's in no condition to fight!!! I can't fight and fend for him at the same time, not when I'm fighting blind!!!"
"What to do, what to do?" I mumbled to myself.

I wracked my head for any strategies---and the choices I had on hand.
Fight and defend at the same time?
Flee and have the target on our tail?
Or fight and trust Darvien to fend for himself?

I didn't like the choices I had in front of me. I decided I wanted to delay the actual choice making by establishing where our target was actually located.
"Darvien, cover for me, I'm---"

I heard a high-pitched laugh, all too close. I saw something glint yellow in the dark trees, two piercing glow...
My heart froze when I realized that I ran out of time to decide.

Vardavit!! I swore in my mind, not daring to speak out loud.
My hand flew to my dagger holster---just as something cold and solid slammed into me. I heard myself gasp as the air was crushed out of my lungs. My head twisted to the side at the force. Pain swelled through my chest rapidly and I was thrown to the ground, adding to the pain. I became faintly aware that my body and my right arm were pinned to the ground.
I turned my head back up to see my assailant...

The Bloodjack stared back at me with its deadly yellow eyes, black venom glistening on its jagged bare teeth.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Not good, this is not good.
Ava's eyes twitched in annoyance as she tried to ascend down deeper into her trance. To her dismay, her meditation wasn't helping her at all. Her body would not ease into the deeper levels of her subconscious and her muscles refused to relax.
It was as if her body was turning against her.

I need to rest and recuperate...now.
She felt strangely calm about this, and it bemused her. Ava gave up trying to meditate and got up from the grassy ground, shaking off the numbness that threatened to overtake her system. She knew she was being absurd, and she knew she was being her own destruction.

"Did you go yet?" came a voice from above her.
Ava's eyes flicked over to Sarvwen, who was sitting on a broad tree branch right above her head.
"I thought you were with Thya." she said, not answering his question.
Sarvwen scowled.
"I'll take that as a no." he muttered.

He leaped off, landing silently and softly on the ground before her. He turned around to face her. He was still scowling down at her.
"You're killing yourself, you know that? Do I have to knock you out and drag you to the Infirmary?" he growled.
Ava blinked, her face innocently blank.
"And what business do I have there?"
Sarvwen scoffed.
"Ava, I saw it."

She shrugged carelessly and turned away. She started to walk away, leaving her friend behind. She could tell she was starting to get moody, something unusual for her.

"Where do you think you're going?" Sarvwen growled.
"I suppose it's almost Zavius's turn to test Darvien." Ava replied nonchalantly, not turning.
"But they haven't defeated the target yet!! That would take another while where as you can get to the towers in matter of seconds the way you do," he protested.

Ava's eyes twitched again in annoyance. She wheeled back around to face Sarvwen. It wasn't like he was going to let her go that easily.
"Who said I was teleporting?" she replied, slightly irritated.
There was a moment of awkward silence. Sarvwen looked out from the hill they stood, to the glorious Paramount Towers towering in the far distance.
"You're going to walk to the Paramount Towers?!" Sarvwen demanded.
"That would take at least an hour from here!"

Ava shrugged indifferently.
"It'll relieve some stress. And, when I get there, it should be perfect timing."

Sarvwen eyed at her suspiciously, looking to see if she was hiding anything in her expressions. But nothing gave anything away. Ava sighed tiredly and turned back around and resumed walking.
"Can I at least know why you're being stubborn and won't go there?" he hollered at her.

Ava didn't stop walking as she answered back.
"Why? Easy; I hate doctors."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Mivian's POV

My instincts acted out before my mind did. I twisted my frame to my right and swung my left arm back. My fist collided with its jaw with a sickening crack.

The Bloodjack shrieked out in pain; arching and throwing its head back to the dark sky. Then, in a flash movement, it snapped forward, a clawed hand aimed right at my head. I craned my neck out of the way just as the claw thrust into the ground beside my head.
The Bloodjack shrieked again as it struggled to free its hand out of the ground. I took the chance to pull my knees up to my chest and kick the creature off of me. It let out a gawking noise as it landed heavily on its back.

Quickly I rolled over and reached for my dagger---my hand landed on my empty holster.
Frantically I looked around the clearing, searching. My eyes landed on a glint of silver stuck in the ground---many feet away. I went to run for my dagger when a growl sounded from behind me. I only turned about a quarter-way when I caught the sight of the dark creature diving at me, reaching for my throat with its jagged sharp claws.
My reaction was too slow, and its speed was too fast.
I'm not going to be able to defend myself...

I couldn't pull my eyes away as it came at me. I braced for the painful blow. A hiss of wind came from my right and a black blur flew into view, snatching the Bloodjack out of the air in mid-flight. There was a gruff grunt as the mixed blur of black and a lighter hue hit the ground. There was a shriek and a sickening splatter. Darvien leaped back lightly and landed in a silent kneel. His Silver Viper was dripping with dark liquid.
"Eye for an eye, leg for a leg." he mused, despite the grave situation he was in.
Little to his left was my dagger. He swiped it up fluidly by its hilt.
"Mivian," he called in an authoritative manner.

Then he flicked my dagger through the air at me. I caught it easily by its cross guards and spun it into my grip. I was a bit surprised by the fact that Darvien was up and moving.
"Ready?" Darvien asked.

I smirked at the excitement flowing unfaltering from his body.
"What else would I be?" I said back, eyeing our target in front of us.

The Bloodjack writhed as it stiffly got to its feet. I saw thick, oozing liquid streaming from a deep long wound on its leg, resembling the one of Darvien. It weakly cried out as it tried to balance on its uninjured leg. Then, it turned its eyes on us, glaring. This time, its yellow glow was heavy, lethal and venomous. It bared its sharp teeth at us, a crackling growl erupting from its chest.
Without hesitation, it dove towards us in a blurring speed. At the same moment we flashed forward, returning the favor. I felt my dagger biting through something hard and brittle, and into stone solidness. I heard the Bloodjack scream into the night sky for the last time.
***************************
We were on our 9th hour as we finished up combing through the small town, burning any traces of the Bloodjack's invasion. Darvien used his little 'talents' and scanned the place for living population. I waited in the shades of the trees as I waited for Darvien's report. It wasn't long before Darvien reappeared next to me with good news. Sure enough, they were just hiding, all clustered in the dark basement of the Town Hall.
"They're all there. The women and children are hidden in the basement and the men seem to be getting ready to come out," he chuckled in amusement.
"They are planning on putting up a big fight. What are they thinking, as if they can do something as damaging the likes of the Dark Immortals."

I smiled. The classic reaction in a human society...
"Well, every trace of our target has been taken care of. And I finished putting up memory wards around the whole town. They shouldn't remember a thing about this when they wake up." I said.
"So...I think it's safe to say, Mission Accomplished."

As soon as I finished my sentence, a blue portal appeared in front of us.
"And it's time to go home." Darvien sighed contently.

He approached the portal a peered into it.
"Time for the verdict." he murmured, before turning to me.
"After you," he said, motioning to the portal.
I rolled my eyes and smiled.
"I'll see you when I wake up," I said.

I walked to the portal and stepped through. My vision became blank, and the sounds faded to silence. My body felt fizzy as my nerves started to recover from the deep sleep. Then, faintly, I started to pick up beeping and a slight commotion coming from around me. I opened my eyes as the wires were yanked off of me temples. Ow!
Groggily, I looked up.

Thya grinned down at me, holding a handful of wires.
"Welcome back to Galiasis, Sleeping Beauty." she said.
"Ready for the next game?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another chapter for those that like it!! To comment on how good/bad, awesome/crappy, how you loved/hated it, just comment here!!
I do love reading other people's comments and questions, so please, leave me something!!

Oh, and a little notice: once this one catches up a TINY bit more, keep your eyes out on my new story, Frozen Phoenix.
If you like PM, you'll probably like this one too.

Please comment and subscribe if you haven't!! XD

~K