Enchanted

This night is sparkling; don't you let it go

“Bella, how are you?” I said coming up to her. She looked beautiful with her hair done and in her long white dress. She was the perfect complement to Edward. I wrapped my arms around her in a hug.

“Alyssa, you made it,” she said hugging me back.

“Of course I did. I couldn’t miss my old best friend’s wedding.”

“I didn’t think you would be coming,” she admitted. “You never liked small towns.”

“Well, I’m only here for a few days. I thought I’d take the whole weekend off and enjoy it while I’m up here. Spend some time at the beach since there’s not one in Phoenix.”

“That sounds wonderful,” said Bella. “I hope you have fun.” I could tell that she wanted to get back to dancing with Edward and she had a ton of other people to say hi to.

“Well, it’s good to see you again. You look gorgeous.”

“Thanks. I’m glad you made it.” I moved away to the refreshments table to get myself a glass of punch and a plate of appetizers. It was as I was moving to a table that I passed a girl that looked quite like Edward. She had the same pale skin and golden eyes yet her hair was jet black in color. She took one look at me and smiled.

“I like your dress,” she said in passing.

“Thanks,” I replied and couldn’t help the good feeling that swept through me. I loved being complimented, especially from someone that looked like they could be a model. I sat down at a table by myself. I didn’t know anyone from up here and hadn’t traveled with anyone.

As I nibbled on the food, the sky grew darker and many people headed inside. Most were still outside under the stars, dancing on the floor that had been placed close to the house. I stayed out enjoying the beautiful sky and the many stars that shone brightly. I loved the way the moon rose in the sky and lit up the yard by itself.

I was off by myself. The couple people that were around me got up and walked towards the house, complaining of the slight chill. For a summer night, I didn’t feel any. I was the only one left under the small tent after fifteen minutes. It’s like I have the plague, I thought bitterly.

“I’m not putting anything off,” I suddenly heard a voice snap. “And yes I can have a real honeymoon! I can do anything I want! Butt out!” My head turned toward where the voice came from but all I could see was darkness. I kept looking wanting to know who the voice came from. I know I didn’t imagine it.

“What do you mean? Have a real honeymoon?” This voice was deeper and more masculine. It seemed just as tense and angry as the other. “While you’re still human? Are you kidding? That’s a sick joke, Bella!” Still human?

“I said butt out, Jake,” said Bella. “This is so not your business. I shouldn’t have…we shouldn’t even be talking about this. It’s private—” The voice was cut off by a gasp. “Ow, Jake! Let go!” I got up from the table and began to walk towards the voices. Things didn’t sound good and I wanted to make sure Bella was okay.

“Bella! Have you lost your mind? You can’t be that stupid! Tell me you’re joking!” He was almost shouting and I wondered how the other dancers couldn’t hear.

“Jake—stop!” As Bella and Jake were just becoming visible Edward suddenly appeared.

“Take your hands off her!” His voice was cold as ice, sharp as razors. I heard a snarl and I became frozen in place. Nobody seemed to notice me, too intent on Jake and Bella.

“Jake, bro, back away,” came another masculine voice. He sounded young though. “You’re losing it.”

“Now!” said Edward. His voice came out in a feral snarl and I was surprised. He seemed so calm and polite, so civil, when we had met earlier. Suddenly Edward and Bella appeared closer to me. I hadn’t even seen them move. Edward was protectively in front of Bella. He was in a tense stance, almost ready for a fight.

I looked past them and I saw two enormous wolves. They were each as tall as Edward. Easily my head was at their shoulder. No wolves should get that big. I involuntarily gasped and five pairs of eyes snapped in my direction. Everything seemed to stop once they were alerted to my presence. Slowly Bella’s sixth pair of eyes landed on me.

Nobody moved and nobody said anything as we all just stared at each other. The only sound was of the far off dance floor. It now seemed a world away. I gazed at the wolves nervously. Their eyes were on me. I could see intelligence in them. I could also see worry and fear. They weren’t the eyes of a normal animal.

Looking up the other two men had disappeared leaving only the wolves, Edward, and Bella. I glanced back and forth between the two pairs. I couldn’t move, I couldn’t think. I didn’t know what to do. I could feel myself starting to panic, my pulse quickening.

One of the wolves turned and disappeared into the woods. I watched it go with wide, terrified eyes. Suddenly the brush started to move and shake. It eventually revealed a man who was around seven feet tall. He was insanely muscular and had tanned, russet colored skin. His hair was black and short with brown eyes.

Suddenly my mind started to work again and as he stepped towards me I stepped back. Then slowly, as if lifting a great weight my brain started to put a couple pieces together. Wolf disappears, man returns. Could the wolf be…. No that was crazy. But so were giant wolves. And Edward moved really fast. And Jake said still human. My mind spun with these thoughts until finally I just fainted. I didn’t even remember hitting the ground.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know how long this will be. Just playing it by ear right now. In a Taylor Swift and Twilight mood so this came about. Hope you enjoy.

Yes, this title is from Taylor Swift's song Enchanted. That's the song that inspired this story.