Enchanted

Not where the story line ends

“Who’s that?” I asked as we pulled up to the Cullen’s house. Standing next to Seth was a girl that was a few years older than I was.

“That’s Leah,” Jake said sounding both exasperated and angry at the same time. “She’s here to look after Seth.”

“Oh,” I said simply as I parked the car and turned it off.

“She’s also a shape-shifter. The only one we know of that’s a female. It’s never happened before.”

“That’s pretty impressive,” I said immediately having some respect for her. It couldn’t be easy being the only girl among the guys. Getting out of the car, Jake immediately headed for the pair and I trailed along behind slowly.

Jake was nodding when I approached. “Well, you guys get some sleep and I’ll run the perimeter for a few hours,” he was saying.

“Okay,” Seth said happily. “Hi, Ally,” he said with a smile and wave. I sent him a small smile in return. It made me nervous to be around the three wolves. Especially because I didn’t know Leah. Being around Seth and Jake was fine, especially if it was just Jake and I alone. Seth, I could be near and felt more comfortable around if someone else was there like Jake.

Jake looked at me and seemed to be searching for something to say. Instead of saying anything I simply reached out and grabbed his hand, squeezing slightly. He returned the pressure before turning and going into the woods.

I stood with Seth watching Jake disappear and melt into the forest. He returned a few seconds later but as a large russet colored wolf. I tensed and backed up, coming to stop as I hit Seth. The wolf stopped a few yards away from me, looking at me pleadingly. “It’s Jake,” Seth said to me gently.

Sita came tearing out of the house without warning and straight towards the larger wolf. I opened my mouth to yell at her, to get her to stay away, but it was already too late. I pictured her being snapped in half by the larger wolf’s jaws. She ran right up to the other wolf and dropped the front half of her body, legs out in front of her, in the sign for play. The larger wolf did the same thing and I couldn’t help but smile. It was definitely a sight to see. Sita darted around the wolf quickly before tearing off into the expansive yard.

The larger wolf didn’t follow but instead turned to me again. He took a step forward and I immediately tensed again. Sadness appeared in his eyes and he whined softly. Then, before I could blink, he had turned and was running away through the woods almost faster than my eyes could follow.

Image


I woke up when I heard a noise at the entrance to the room I was using. Sitting up, I realized it was the door opening. “I didn’t mean to wake you,” he said, closing the door behind him. I relaxed once the light from the hallway was gone. I could see better.

“Jake, is that you?” I asked confused.

“Yeah, Seth and Leah are out patrolling right now.” He came over and stood at the side of the bed. I patted it and he gently sat down.

“I’m sorry about today,” I said. “You’ve been nothing but nice and caring to me and then I freak out about you turning into a wolf.”

“That isn’t just some small thing,” Jake said gently. He laid a reassuring hand on my knee. Picking it up, I began to play with his fingers absentmindedly.

“I’m beginning to think it is,” I mumbled sarcastically. “Jake, why do you put up with me?” I asked suddenly. “Why stick around?”

“That’s not an easy question to answer,” he said. I bit my lip worriedly and my hands stilled. “It’s nothing bad,” he assured me quickly. “It’s just not an easy thing to say or explain.”

“You turn into a wolf. What can be harder than that?”

“Technically, I didn’t tell you that,” he pointed out. He stayed silent and I looked at him curiously. He looked worried. Worried and completely vulnerable. Immediately I just wanted to make it go away. I wanted him to feel safe even if there wasn’t much protection I could offer him. But I could emotionally. Or at least try.

I reached forward and put my arms around his neck in a semi awkward hug. Burying my face in his neck, he put an arm around me, holding me there. Slowly I could feel myself relax and in a way melt into him. He smelled good and I closed my eyes, almost falling back asleep. Jake held me there and the slow rhythm of his breathing caused my consciousness to drift.

Thinking I was sleeping, Jake picked me up and then laid me down in my bed again. He pulled the covers over me and then kissed the top of my head. The simple gesture seemed to set every nerve on fire, spreading throughout my body. I felt his warmth leave me then and I sat up almost in a panic.

He had simply taken two steps towards the door when he stopped, realizing I wasn’t asleep. “Don’t go,” I pleaded. I sounded completely weak and desperate but I guess I was. I didn’t want him to leave. I wanted him here. With me. “Don’t go, Jake,” I said when he didn’t move.

“You want me to stay with you again?” he asked.

“Yes,” I said simply.

“Alright.” He walked to the other side of the bed and pulled his shirt off over his head. I don’t think I’d ever get used to the sight of what was underneath. He crawled into bed beside me. I was immediately beside him like we were magnets.

After that fast movement though, I was frozen. He was lying there, simply looking at me. The look on his face. I couldn’t name it, but it warmed my heart. Without even a second thought, I pressed my lips to his.

If him kissing my head was a fire, kissing him, actually kissing him, was a blazing inferno that burnt away everything else. There was only him. Him and I. Together. I pulled away slowly, painfully. I looked at him nervously unsure what his reaction would be. I mean, yeah it seemed like he was interested but the next step is always shaky.

Jake was smiling and before I could say anything, planted another quick kiss on my lips. “I’ve been waiting for that,” he said. In a bit of embarrassment, I buried my head in his chest which slightly shook with laughter. As I lay there, he began to play with my hair. “You should go to sleep,” he told me gently.

“You too,” I mumbled. My heart seemed to be beating out of my chest but everything else called for sleep. I’m sure he couldn’t even understand what I said. Hugging me to him, he slowly began to fall asleep. I’m not sure who drifted off first, or if it was together. But I knew there wasn’t any other place I wanted to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Super short. But I haven't updated in forever. And huge milestone for Alyssa and Jake! Thank you for reading, lovelies!