Sequel: The Epilogue

A Place on My Pillow

.35

“What are you gonna wear?” Alex asked, watching from where he lounged on his bed while Polly got ready for her date with Darren. He looked overly amused at the situation. She wanted to smack him across the face for that smug, satisfied grin on his face.

“Shut up,” Polly grumbled, rifling through her drawers once again. One day, Alex came home with a dresser and told her that this was hers to keep her belongings in. She’d put it in the corner of his room, right beside his and it hadn’t moved since.

Standing in just her bra and underwear, covered by a towel, Polly stared at her open and now messy drawers. She was getting nowhere with this and Alex was being no help.

“Why would I do that?”

“You’re a bad friend,” Polly informed him.

“I’m not though. I just love mocking your mercilessly. Besides, if you were in my position, you would so be doing the same thing. It’s just the way our friendship works.”

“I doubt that,” Polly said. “Now, help me!”

“Why don’t you ask Cady?”

“Because, she’ll make me dress like an easy date.”

This cracked Alex up. He couldn’t imagine Polly being easy but he could however picture her in a Cadence Jackson original outfit.

“Stop laughing!” Polly commanded, facing Alex with her hands on her hips. She stared him down, a less than amused expression plastered on her face.

“I’m sorry. It’s just,” Alex started to explain but something about Polly’s expression made him stop. The hardened demeanor didn’t fit Polly’s light, normally cheerful face. It worried Alex to see her unhappy, especially when she was unhappy because of him. Or maybe she was because of the situation. Maybe she honestly didn’t want to go. Should he stop her? Should he tell her not to go, to stay home with him and watch crappy movies? That would get Polly into trouble though, Alex chided himself.

“Sorry. Why don’t you wear that long, tunic sweater thing? The light tan one, with a pair of jeans. You always look good in that,” he said softly. She walked over to her dresser and pulled out the clothes that Alex had mentioned. She held them up together and nodded.

“Dates are stressful,” she said. She dropped her towel, not caring that Alex was still in the room or that his door was open. She pulled on the jeans first, struggling to get them up her legs. She let out an aggravated sigh as she tried to bounce into them.

“Just take a breath for a second,” Alex said, getting up and walking towards her. The amount of skin that Polly was showing had no effect on him, strangely. He took the top hem of the jeans in his hands and gently tugged it up her thin legs, finally guiding them to her hips. She reached down and buttoned them, bowing her head to do so. Alex leaned in and pressed a delicate kiss to her hairline.

“It’ll be okay,” he promised. A promise he intended on keeping. He didn’t know what he’d have to protect her from, but he was willing to give everything he had to do so.