Sequel: The Epilogue

A Place on My Pillow

.39

When she came to, she was in a warm hospital bed, the bright lights instantly making her regret opening her eyes. Alongside her, slumped in chairs were the twins, her boss, Sydney and her rescuer who she could now identify. Darren. Darren had come to her rescue. He had saved her and taken her to the hospital. He couldn’t be all that bad then, if he’d saved her. Besides, he was a good kisser.

That’s always how it boiled down, sadly.

That boy, Polly recalled, was one the best kissers she’d come across. Josh had been a sloppy kisser, but endearing since he was dying. Then came the love of her life who was definitely the best so far. She would always rank him as such. The sociopath was pretty good as well, again one of the best but his insanity had brought him down on the list. So far, it went like this:
1) Paul
2) Josh
3) Mike
4) Darren

Polly cleared her throat, hoping to wake someone. When no one woke up, she pressed buttons until her bed rose up. A nurse walked in and stared annoyed at her.

“What’d you press the button for?” the nurse asked. She was a young woman, maybe in her late twenties to early thirties. She had waves of auburn hair, tied loosely at the nape of her neck. She wore a pair of dark blue scrubs, a name badge clipped to the bottom hem identified her as Leanne Jenkins.

“I’m sorry. I wasn’t trying to,” Polly apologized. She went on to explain, “I was just trying to sit up.”

Leanne let out an aggravated sigh.

“Well, I suppose since you’re up, I’ll send in the doctor.”

She turned on her heel and stalked unpleasantly out of the room. Polly whistled low and turned her attention back to her guests. She poked Alex’s head gently while he slept, resting his head on her bed and when that didn’t wake him, she tried Cady, who lay in the same position. Millie and Sydney were slumped backwards in their chairs and impossible to reach. Darren was leaning against the wall, head tipped back against the white backdrop. Polly was bored. She decided to probe the damage of the attack.

She touched the spot where he had punched her and grimaced as pain blossomed where she poked. She licked her lips and hissed. He’d split her lower lip open as well and that alone made her horribly mad. She reached up and touched the sore spot on the back of her head, relieved not to find a bandage. He’d just given her a horrible headache, which pissed her off even more.

“Miss Salisbury!” the doctor chirped, entering her private room. He was refreshingly chipper in comparison to her surly nurse. He was older, around 50 years old with graying brown hair. He didn’t look tired, however. Not like Leanne. He was welcoming, with an excellent bedside manner. Polly liked him already.

“Hello!”

“Your companions seem to be asleep still,” he said.

“Yeah. They’re ridiculous.”

He chuckled and held out his hand, “I’m Doctor Allen.”

“Pollyanna Salisbury,” she replied, shaking his hand.

“Let’s make sure you’re a-ok,” he said and got to work.