Say It One More Time

Moulin Rouge!

After a long boring day, I was finally back at home. I had changed into my jogging trousers, ready for mine and mum’s girly night in. All I needed now was for mum to get back from work.
I wasn’t waiting long before I heard the door shutting; I grabbed my Hot Topic bag from the other night and skipped downstairs, greeting mum as she stood in the hallway, trying to juggle her handbag, shoes and a carrier bag.

“Hey sweetie, couldn’t just… Help me a minute could you?” mum struggled to ask me as she had her keys in her mouth.
I laughed at her, it really was a sight to see, but took the bags from her hands taking them through to the living room and putting them down on the sofa.
Mum followed me through, flopping down on the sofa and letting out a sigh of relief.
“Wow… That was a crazy day… American’s really overdo it on the sympathy thing… God help you if they ever meet you…” she said to me, rubbing her face in her hands, “Right where’s that wine?” she announced, sitting up and grabbing the carrier bag.

I laughed at her as I sat down next to her. She found the wine and ran into the kitchen to get some glasses. I know that in America you’re supposed to be 21 to drink so a mum letting a 16 year old drink might seem weird… But we’re English, and in England you only have to be 18 to drink. Sucks to be American…
“Here you go Rennie,” mum said as she passed me a full glass, “I just called a pizza place too, so we should have food soon” she looked proud of her achievement.
“So, let’s see this new outfit then” she was now sat cross-legged on the sofa facing me with a huge smile on her face.
I picked up the bag that contained my new dress and boots and put it on my lap.
“Well… Ally and Iris insisted that I wore a dress, so they picked this out, I tried it on and it just seemed perfect” I explained taking the dress out of the bag and holding it up for her to get a good look.

“Oh wow, I love it! Put it on! I wanna see what it looks like on!” I just couldn’t say no to that so I ran up to the bathroom and got changed.
It didn’t take long and I was soon back in the living room, doing a little twirl for mum.
“You look so beautiful darling… “ it looked like she had a tear in her eye as she smiled at me.
“And… To finish it off, I got some new shoes,” I told her taking the shoe box out of the bag and quickly pulling them on.
“Oh they are nice, they are so nice… Can I borrow them?” she asked cheekily, knowing that my size 3 ½ shoes would not fit her. “Ooh! I got you something today!” she suddenly announced, running back into the kitchen.
She returned to the living clutching two boxes.
“I know how much you’ve wanted to dye your hair red for ages… So… Now that your dad’s out of the picture…” She threw one of the boxes into my lap, when I looked I saw that it was a bright red hair dye.
“Are you being serious?!” I grinned.
“Very serious, it wasn’t me who didn’t want you to dye your hair,” she explained, “I also got myself a hair dye, it’s called mahogany” She showed me second box which was a dark reddish brown colour.

“That will suit you so much” I said, mum has brown hair, which would look great with a reddish tint. My hair was naturally blonde, so the red was going to cover so well.
“We’ll do it later, yeah? After the pizza?” mum planned out loud.
“Sounds good to me” I smiled, turning on the TV, looking for some crap to watch.
It wasn’t long before the doorbell rang, signalling that out pizzas had arrived.
Mum got up to get them and pay as I settled for something called ‘Shark Tank’ I thought it would have people doing stupid things around sharks… Apparently it’s the American version of Dragon’s Den…
“Oh this smells so good” mum sighed as she came back holding two pizza boxes. She handed the veggie one to me and we settled down to eat.
It wasn’t too long before we had finished eating and were in the bathroom, ready to dye my hair. I was so excited!
I sat on the edge of the bath whilst mum made up the mixture.
“Are you ready?” she asked cautiously as she snipped the top of the bottle.
“As ready as I’ll ever be” I smiled.

Once mum had applied all of the dye to my hair, she wrapped my head in cling film and we swapped places, it was now my turn to dye her hair.
It wasn’t before I was finished and it was time to rinse the dye out of my hair.
Seeing how red the water was running scared me slightly, but I was still excited.
“Right, I think that we’re done here,” mum announced, “Wanna go dry it? I’ll rinse my hair myself”
“Are you sure?” I asked, feeling bad about leaving her.
“Yes! Go!” she insisted. I didn’t need telling twice, I ran to my bedroom and pulled my hairdryer out, turning it on immediately.
It took about 10 minutes to dry fully, but it was so worth the wait when it was finally done.
“Oh my god… My hair’s red!” I ran through to the bathroom where mum was towel drying her hair. She stopped what she was doing to look at me.
“Oh wow, that looks amazing! If Frank doesn’t like it then there’s something seriously wrong with him, you are going to look so good on Saturday!”
I couldn’t help but grin at her compliment, I guess I really wanted Frank to love how I look…
“We need to get your hair dry now mum” I smiled at her, her hair still dripping wet.

It didn’t take her long to dry it completely, and when she was done she looked so different, just that small hint of red changed her whole look.
“Well… If you don’t have guys falling at your feet, there’s something seriously wrong with them” I copied her compliment as she smile at me.
“Come on then, let’s go watch that film, how does Moulin Rouge! sound to you?” she suggested.
“Well, you know me, I love that film!” It is so awesome!!

“Thank you for curing me of my ridiculous obsession with love!” we both cried out along with the Ewan McGregor, mum had genuine tears in her eyes, and I was close. We always get emotional at this film, but I guess it seemed a bit closer to home this time.
I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, sliding it out I saw a message from Frank.
Hey, just checking that you and your mom are ok? Xo
Bless him, he’s so sweet. I quickly sent him a reply.
Yeah, we’re ok, watching my future husband (hopefully) Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge! Always cheers me up ;) x

I put my phone back down, satisfied with my response and waited for a reply. I wasn’t waiting long.
Yeah well… I’ve got my… New girlfriend with me… Ooh she’s so good ;) xo
I laughed silently and replied.
Oh yeah? What’s she called? Your right hand? ;) x
I know right? I’m a genius!
He didn’t reply straight away so I decided to get back into the film, there wasn’t long left. I’m not gonna lie, this upsets me, I always want this film to go on forever.
I looked over at mum and saw tears streaming down her cheeks. She’s been putting such a brave face on until now, I guess she doesn’t want me to see her upset.
I shuffled myself over to her and wrapped my arm around her, I want her know that I’m here for her and I don’t mind if she wants to let it all out, yeah sure it hurts to see you mum in so much pain, but watching her bottle it all in is harder.

“What am I like eh?” she sniffed as the credits rolled up the screen, wiping her face with her sleeve. “I’m such a mess…”
“No mum, you’re human, cry all you need to, I’d rather you did that than just bottling it all up and getting really depressed…”
She smiled weakly at me, sniffling again.
“What have I done to deserve an amazing daughter like you? And when did you get so mature? I still think of you as my little baby girl, all naïve and innocent…”
“Trust me mum, I wish I was…” I sighed.
“Well… I think I’m gonna go to bed now” Mum announced, standing up and taking our now empty glasses into the kitchen.
“Yeah I should too really, I still have school tomorrow…” I replied, also standing up. I picked up my bag from earlier and headed to the stairs.
I glanced at my phone seeing that Frank had finally replied.
I don’t think I like you anymore :’( You’re mean :’( xo

I swear he’s an idiot…

You don’t like me anymore but you still put a little ‘xo’ for me… Makes sense… ;P x

I laughed quietly as I climbed the stairs and walked into my room.
My phone vibrated again, signalling a reply.
Umm… Shhh… xo
I think I may have won. I smiled; I was truly happy that I had finally found my place, somewhere that I was happy.
I dug around in my draw, looking for pyjamas, I settled on some Disney ones that mum bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago and quickly changed into them. I threw my clothes into my wash bin in the corner of my room and took another look in the mirror at my red hair.
I climbed into my bed and plugged my phone into charge and sent Frankie one last message.
I will never ‘shh’! :) Well… Apart from when I go to sleep… Like now :) Night night Frankie xx
I turned my light off and curled up in my bed, needless to say, I fell asleep almost instantly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two asthma attacks in two days... Woo... I think I'm broken :O