Right Where I Belong

Day at the Beach

I texted Benji letting him know how the interview had gone, which seemed to go okay and that I would be heading back to my place to change and pack a few things. He texted me back telling me where to meet them at.
I pulled into the parking lot and parked in the spot that I had been frequently parking at lately. It was semi close to the door, but it wasn’t in the back either. I walked up the steps and just as I was about to pull open the door, the landlord happened to be coming out of the building.
“Oh Miss. Jacobs, I have been meaning to contact you and Miss. Anderson, I’m sure you’re aware that your lease is going to be up in a few months and I was just curious if you two had made a choice if you wanted to sign another one?” I mentally sighed, I had so much going on I had forgotten to talk to McKenzie about this.
“Actually Mr. Nelson, I think McKenzie wanted all three of us to meet and discuss one or two things. Let me double check with her and I will give you a call sometime today or tomorrow at the latest.” I smiled at him; thank god I had a quick brain.
He nodded in agreement and continued to head to his car. I walked inside grabbing my phone out of my pocket and dialed McKenzie’s number. It rang three times and then went to voice mail. Figures, she was either sucking face with Joel or she was in the ocean swimming and knowing the guys they wouldn’t have answered her phone anyways.
I walked up the five flights of stairs and down the narrow hall to my apartment door. After unlocking it, I walked in setting my keys on the small table we had by the door. I grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl and headed to my room taking a bite. I sat in front of my dresser, opening the bottom drawer. I dug through the swimsuits in it and decided I would wear the new pink and white striped Playboy bunny swimsuit. I threw it across the room onto my bed. I shuffled on my knees to my closet to look for a bag to put my towel and things in. After going through a few I found what McKenzie and I had deemed the “beach tote”. It was a tan Sweeney textured leather bag with dark brown handles and looked as though it belonged on the beach. Grabbing it from its spot in the back of the closet, I threw it onto my bed. I lay on the floor finishing my apple, thinking about what else I needed. I needed shoes, clothes, and I was debating if I really wanted to bring a bra and panties for later on.
I sat up as my cell phone went off and grabbed it off my bed. I looked seeing Benji’s name flashing at me.
“Hello?” I answered getting up and throwing the apple core away in the bathroom trash.
“Hey! I wasn’t expecting you to answer, we’re getting hungry down here and we were going to head over to the pier and eat at the one of the restaurants. I just wanted to make sure you knew and to see if you wanted to meet us there?” I smiled at how Benji was being all friendly and stuff.
“Yeah I’m just getting some things packed and I’ll be there. I’ll text you when I leave and I’ll meet you guys where ever you decided to eat.”
“Alright see you soon.” Benji said hanging up, I did as well.
I walked back into my room grabbing the first tank that I saw out of my second dresser drawer and grabbed a pair of shorts right along with it. The tank was white and blue striped and the shorts were just simple blue jean shorts. Again I headed for my closet and grabbed my heart sandals. Deciding I should just wear my swimsuit I stripped and put it on, tossing my interview clothes next to the hamper. I slipped the tank top on and then the shorts and placed my bra and panties into the bed in case I needed them.
After grabbing a beach towel from the linin closet and sunscreen I walked out the front door as I shoved everything in the bag. I locked the door placing my keys and cell phone in my pocket and made my way back down the five flights of stairs. I texted Benji like I said I would.
As I waited for a text back, I placed my bag in the passenger seat and moved a few things into the trunk of my car. I grabbed my cd case off the floor and looked through my selection trying to figure out what I was in the mood for.
Feeling my phone vibrate and hearing the lyrics to “Just Dance” I knew I had a text. I looked to see that everyone had decided to go to T.G.I. Friday’s instead and that they would wait for me. I texted Benji back and got in my car, picking a cd at random.
* * *
I scooted in into the corner both next to Benji, having spotted everyone from the moment I walked in. Everyone seemed a little surprised to see me.
“What?” I asked grabbing the menu from Benji’s hands and looking at what I would want to order.
“That was mine!” Benji said chuckling trying to grab it from me. I laughed as I smacked his hand away.
“Can I get you something to drink?” A new voiced asked, I looked up to see a waiter, he had shaggy sandy blonde hair and blue eyes, and he was pretty cute looking.
“Yeah can I get lemonade please?” I smiled, he nodded and walked away. McKenzie eyed me as if she knew what I had been thinking. “So who is getting what?” I asked looking at everyone.
“We were discussing about just getting some apps, if you’re okay with that?” Joel asked before taking a sip of water. I nodded and then handed Benji back the menu.
“That sounds good.” I leaned back with a sigh, and combed my fingers through my hair.
“How did the interview go?” McKenzie asked, her glance went to Benji before coming back to me.
“It went okay, but I can’t tell you if I landed the job. Oh and what do you want to do about our lease?” I asked before almost forgetting. Our waiter came back with my lemonade apologizing for the wait.
“It’s no problem; it’s pretty packed in here.” I smiled at him. He looked to everyone else’s drinks making sure to see if anyone needed a refill. I looked to see his name was Jake. He left going to get Billy and Joel refills on their waters.
“Well, about that.” McKenzie paused biting her lip, she looked down at the table and then over to Joel.
“If you want to move in with Joel, then move in with Joel.” I stated drinking half my lemonade.
“You can’t afford that apartment yourself Allie.” McKenzie stated looking at me. She was right, McKenzie and I had started out by splitting the rent on the apartment, back then we both had equally good paying jobs. Then McKenzie started free lancing and was making extra money. I ended up getting “laid off” from my job to make way for a kiss up intern who screwed the editor behind closed doors. It was then that McKenzie took over rent for a month or two while I worked my ass off on my book and found another job. Of course I paid her back the money I owed her for covering my portion of the rent. The apartment building went through some “modernizing” and “updating” as the landlord called it for a few months. Rent went up and over my price range, but thankfully McKenzie hadn’t been ready to move in with Joel, but now I was royally screwed.
“I’ll figure something out McKenzie.” I said giving her a smile. Jake came back and took our order of apps. He gave me a smile and wink as he left and I could feel myself blush.
* * *
We sat there laughing and joking as Jake cleared our table of all the app plates for a second and final time. “I’ll be back with your bills.” He said walking towards the kitchen.
“You ready to be thrown into the ocean Alyssa?” Benji asked with a smirk on his face.
“Whatever, if anyone is getting thrown in, it’s you.” I said shaking my head playfully.
Jake came back with our bills and set them down on the table, he slipped me a piece of paper and walked towards another table. I could feel everyone’s eyes on me, especially Benji’s.
“What does it say?” McKenzie asked almost jumping for the piece of paper. I grabbed it and flipped it over.
Text me sometime, I’d love to take you out to dinner.
562-843-7244 ~ Jake


I could feel my cheeks going completely red and Benji grabbed the note from my hand and looked at it. “Come on lets go.” Benji said putting the note back in my hand. I got up grabbing my bag digging for both my car keys and a pen.
“Are you coming?” Benji asked half way to the front of the building.
Nodding I replied, “Yeah just looking for my car keys, I’ll meet you there.” I grabbed my keys and pocketed them. Going up the front I asked the hostess if she had a pen. Handing one to me, I ripped off some of the paper and wrote my phone number down and signed my name. Jake was standing at the bar waiting for some drinks.
“Jake.” I called out, he turned his head seeing me walking up I handed him the piece of paper. “You better be buying.” I winked.
* * *
Sure thing, Benji had thrown me in. of course you couldn’t really count it as throwing me in, he was in waist deep of water, carrying me over his shoulder. When I asked to be put down, Benji moved my position so I was now bridal style in his arms, of course dropping me without warning.
“Thanks.” I said coughing salt water up, Benji laughed and helped steady me as the waves came in.
“Sorry, I was going to count to three so you could have a chance to hold your breath.” He grinned.
“yeah, whatever.” I said splashing him, he let go of me and I took the chance to push him, Benji only stumbled back and then smiled in victory. I flipped him off.
“Aww come on, that’s not very nice.” Benji said splashing me. I splashed him back and started to head in. “Allie!” I turned to look at Benji, “You know you want to!” he smiled wiggling his eye brows.
Rolling my eyes and shook my head, “You are very mistaken Mr. Madden.” I continued to head towards the beach, Joel and Dean were tossing a football around, and Paul was chatting with McKenzie, both laughing at something that was said. Billy and Benji were both heading in themselves. I sat down on my towel, letting the sun’s warm rays dry me off.
“You’re phone has been going off non-stop!” McKenzie smiled as she pulled my cell phone from beside her.
“You’ve been reading my texts haven’t you?” I questioned her. She only smiled, before going back to talking to Paul. Going into my inbox I seen I had seven messages, two from Jake, one from my brother, three from my editor, and the final message was from my ex. I didn’t bother reading that one and deleted it without second thought.
I opened the ones from Jake first.Hey. It’s Jake, wasn’t sure if you had my number in your phone yet. If not now you do :P I giggled a little, letting a smile form on my face. I scrolled down to the second one,Hey, me again. I was thinking if you weren’t busy on the 26th, maybe we could go out to dinner and catch a movie. I know it’s rather cheesy first date, but I’m kind of a cheesy guy. :)
The 26th was a little more than a week and a half away, I never had anything planned that far ahead. Texting Jake back, I confirmed the 26th as our date. After reading the other messages I put my phone back in my bag and joined in on Paul and McKenzie’s conversation.
“You sure it’s okay if I move in with Joel?” McKenzie asked as Paul got up to join Joel and Dean in tossing the football around. I nodded watching the waves crash on the beach, letting the slight breeze play with my chocolate brown hair that was now mostly dry and curled from the ocean water.
“It’s fine, I understand. You’re in a great relationship and you’re ready to take it to the next level, it’s cool.” I smiled.
“Well hopefully things between you and Jake go good. You need a good relationship after what happened.” McKenzie sighed. I looked over to the guys; Benji’s eyes met mine for a brief second before he threw the football to Joel.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alyssa's Beach Outfit.
McKenzie's Beach Outfit.

Alright, sorry this update took a little longer, I am going to try my best to update about every two weeks at the least. Also how do you all like the layout (it is a general one), but I am wondering what you think as readers, so if you could please let me know what you think of the layout (as in is it easy to read on, hard to on, would you like me to go through and add spaces to separate text, etc.) and also as always comments are lovely.
I'd like to thank Hateful.Misery and NicoleMarie.MN for their love and support.