Donovan Andrews

Flashbacks

I could hear Alison’s footsteps near the door. I swing it open, seeing my son take his protective stance in front of her, growling and snarling in warning at me. I couldn’t have him getting in my way.

I tackle him, showing him no mercy. He was soon unconscious, my daughter and Alison crying beside him. I pull her up, kissing her roughly. I’ve waited too damn long for her.

We exchange a few words, and I kiss her again. “Let’s take this inside,” I murmur in her ear. “Tell Jesse and Scarlett to go to the cabin in the back.”

“Just don’t hurt them,” she begs through tears. “I’ll do anything you want.”

Jesse’s fingers twitched when she said that.

“I won’t hurt them,” I murmur in her ear, my eyes filled with lust.

“Scarlett, take your brother to the cabin out back,” Alison says through her tears. My daughter, with her auburn hair much similar to her mother’s, looked up with hate-filled eyes. Alison’s tears came even harder. I pulled her close to me, baring my teeth at Scarlett in warning. She dragged her brother away quickly, and I pulled Alison into the house.

“Come on, baby, at least act happy,” I say, finding her sweet spot almost immediately. She kept herself composed, which angered me. What did that bastard do to her?! I bite into her neck, hearing her moan my name. I smile to myself.

I lead her down the hall in her slightly tipsy state, lying her forcefully on the bed. I rip at her clothes, desperate to see her perfect body. It was even more beautiful than I remembered. Her chest … it was even more developed. I smile devilishly at her, biting her to fill her senses with pleasure.

But, it was rudely interupted as I heard Joseph and Melody’s hushed talking right outside the cabin. In a flash I was by the window, staring out at where they stood. Alison wrapped a blanket tightly around herself, following more slowly. Her eyes went wide, obviously surprised. I decide to have a little fun with this.

I send images to Joseph, compelling him to feel nothing but lust for Melody. It took awhile, but he eventually started obeying my commands. Melody was even easier, taking only a matter of seconds.

I looked down at Alison, frowning sadly as I watched helpless tears falling out of her eyes. I wipe at her diamonds, making her look at me.

“Please stop,” she says quietly, glancing over at Joseph and Melody.

“Now, why would I do that?” I murmur, pulling her closer to me. I glance at her left hand, where a simple diamond ring was glittering against the sunlight. I bare my teeth, growling, “He gave you that, didn’t he?”

“Y-yeah,” she says through tears, trying to hide it. I grab her wrist forcefully, glaring at the tiny ring. “Donovan, what are you gonna do?”

“Get rid of it,” I growl. “Grab Jesse and Scarlett. We’ll leave. But get rid of it.

“Donovan, please!” I wasn’t happy with that. I forced Joseph and Melody to do a little more than make-out. “Stop it! Look, there!”

She threw the ring on the ground, sobbing. I smile at her, going through the drawers for some clothes.

“Get dressed. We have to go,” I say, throwing the clothes at her. She puts them on a little too eagerly, walking behind me as she cried silently. I didn’t care. I was just happy that I had her.

Jesse had awoken, and growled at the sight of me. I bared my teeth, pulling Alison behind me. I didn’t want her getting in the middle of this. What this was went beyond anything I had fought for. We weren’t only fighting for leadership. Jesse fought for his mother and sister, obviously wanting to take them back to that bastardly boy. I fought for Alison. I want her. I’ll have her. I don’t care if I have to kill my own children to get her.

“Donovan, stop it!” Alison yells desperately, grabbing my arm. Jesse made no movements to harm me. I didn’t understand. Anyone else would’ve attacked me on the spot. But, he didn’t want to risk hurting his mother. “Jesse, come on.”

“No,” he growls, inching toward her. “I’m staying right here with Vonnie.”

“Fine. Come on, Alison,” I growl, grabbing her forearm firmly.

“Don’t touch her,” Jesse growls, attacking me. I wrestle him to the ground, glowering. “Leave my mom alone.”

“She’s mine,” I growl. “Nobody else’s.”

He continues glaring at me as I slowly stand up. He’s the spitting image of me. Maybe that’s why I find him as a threat. I grab Alison’s hand, hurriedly running out of the cabin and through the forest.

Melody and Joseph were still … busy. They’d probably be compelled for awhile, too. Not my problem. Joseph will thank me eventually for speeding up whatever they’ve got.

I knew I wasn’t getting very far, which is exactly why I picked her up, running with my Vampire speed. “Donovan, wait, stop,” Alison says quietly, her eyes unfocused. I knew that look. She was having a vision.

“What?” I ask, determined to get us out of there. “What do you see, baby?”

“I’m not your baby,” she says, scrunching up her nose with that distant look. “Melody … she found the ring. Martin did, too.”

“What else?”

“Jesse and Scarlett …” Damn. That’s not good. “T-they’re coming. Martin’s angry.”

“That bastard,” I growl. Alison’s eyes become focused, tears falling down as she cried on me. “Baby, what’s wrong?”

“M-Marilynn and Alexandria,” she sobs onto me. Who were they?

“Who?”

“My daughters.” Damn. He did change my Alison. That’s why she looked so different. He got her pregnant. “Donovan, y-you’re h-hurting me.”

“Sorry,” I say, loosening my grip on her slightly. “But y-you — him — kids — ring —”

“Why do you care?” she snaps angrily, crossing her arms over her chest. “You got what you wanted from me before, Donovan.”

“And what might that be?”

“What do you think? Sex.”

“That’s not what I want,” I murmur against her hair as we enter the hotel. “Room for two,” I say politely, compelling the man at the counter.

“Here you go.”

“Then what do you want?” she hisses angrily as we walk into the elevator.

“Baby, I love you. There’s nothing more I could want other than for you to love me, too,” I murmur in her ear, pulling her close to me. “I know you do. You just won’t admit it.”

“I love Martin,” she grumbles, crossing her arms over her chest stubbornly. She looked so cute as her bottom lip started trembling in a pout. She looked so much like she did when we first met, back when she was five. I had actually been watching her for a year to see if her Guardian had found her yet. Every boy from every where she went followed her, their ages as old as twenty. I had to kill a few because of what they’d do or say to her. One had actually tried to rape little Alison. I killed him right before he succeeded, erasing her memory so she could remain innocent.

“He wasn’t always there for you,” I murmur against her hair, my arms wrapped firmly around her waist, pulling her along as we head toward the suite.

“Neither were you.”

“Baby, I was always there. I’ve been there since you were four years old.” Her eyes went wide when I said that, looking startled and dumbstruck. “You don’t know half the things boys tried to do to you.”

“Like what?” she snaps fiercely.

“A twenty year old tried to have his way with you when you were four,” I growl, baring my teeth at the memory. “He nearly succeeded.”

“I don’t believe you,” she hisses, narrowing her eyes at me suspiciously. “Why would someone who was sixteen years older than me wanna have sex?!”

“Because of your gift,” I say, rolling my eyes. I force the memory into her mind. I could remember it now …

I watched as the man dragged little Alison down the street. What is he doing? I think suspiciously, following steadily behind them a few yards back. He pulled her forcefully into the apartment building. I didn’t like that.

I followed hurriedly after them, desperate not to loose her. I finally approached the thick wooden apartment door. I could smell little Alison inside there. I could hear her sobbing loudly. What is he doing to her?! I think angrily. I could hear clothes rustling, and felt my fury double. I twist the doorknob; locked.

“What are you doing?” Alison’s quiet sobbing increased.

“Shh, be quiet,” he murmured. I could hear him touching her. I kicked the door open with all my strength, seeing the infuriating scene.

Little Alison was completely naked. That bastard was crouched over her possessively, no clothes covering any part of him. I couldn’t believe someone could be so sick. Or that her gift was that strong! I’d be so proud of her if I wasn’t about to murder this psycho.

I punched him with all my strength, hearing his skull break open. Little Alison, only four years old, stared at me with wide, innocent dark brown eyes. He didn’t get very far, I think, looking around for her clothes. I pull my jacket around her tiny, fragile body, noticing the dark bruises on her tanned skin.

“Who-who are you?”

She shivered, wincing probably from the pain.

“I’m Donovan. Your friend. Are you okay?” I asked, my hand outstretched welcomingly for her smaller one. “What happened?”

“Mr. Johnson said he was taking me to meet his son, Martin,” Alison said in her adorable, angelic voice. “Why did he bring me here?”

“He wanted to do something he shouldn’t have, Alison.”

“H-how do you know my name?”

I stared at her innocent dark brown eyes, knowing this was something she’d never forget. I couldn’t let that happen. I couldn’t just watch the innocence in her dark brown eyes fade. I love her.

“You won’t remember anything,” I said, compelling her. “Mr. Johnson felt sick —”

“Is-is he …”

Tears filled her eyes, some falling down her cheeks.

“No! No, he’s fine!” I said, wiping at her tears. She flinched away from my touch, more tears streaking her face.

“Your hands are cold,” she said, shivering into my jacket. “What are you?”

“W-what do you mean?” I asked, shocked. “Come on, Alison, let’s get you home.”

“No. Answer my question,” she said stubbornly. “What are you, Daniel?”

I hadn’t been called that since Katharina.

“I’m a Vampire,” I sighed, looking away from her.

“Oh.”

“Please don’t be scared, Alison, I won’t hurt you.”

“I know,” she said, smiling weakly at me, “You won’t ever hurt me.”


Alison’s raven-feather eyes, now filled with nothing but hate, stared angrily at me. I missed her dark brown eyes, always filled with such innocence and love. Where were they? What happened to that beautiful girl who always forgave someone no matter how big the mistake? I miss her.

“What happened to you?” I murmur quietly, moving strands of her glittering auburn hair.

You,” she growls, whacking at my hands, walking backwards. She trips over something, nearly hitting the floor before I caught her. “Let me go! Don’t touch me!”

“What happened to you, Alison?” I ask sadly as she jerks away from me.

You! Before you showed up I was fine!”

“Don’t you remember all those boys who touched you?!!” I growl angrily, crouched over her as she laid on the floor. “I got rid of them.”

“You’re a killer!” She yells, squeezing her eyes shut. “Witches are supposed to defend humans …”

“Is that what you keep telling yourself?”

“I’m married to Martin. I have kids. I can’t … I can’t …”

“You can’t what?”

“Get out of my head!” she yells suddenly, pain taking over her expression. I pull her close to me, opening her eyelids, watching the pupils change dramatically.

“Alison, come back,” I yell, shaking her, desperate to get her back.

“No!” she yells just as Joseph knocks out the door.

“What the damn hell,” he growls, jerking me away from her. “What’s wrong with Alison?!”

“I don’t know! She just went into a trance! You gotta help her!” I yell, frantically struggling to get to her.

“Oh, I’ll help everyone,” Joseph growls, pulling out a stake.

“Kevin, stop. Let’s just get Alison and leave,” Melody says, holding her sister close. As much as I hated it, I trusted Melody. She kept her promises. “Put down the stake, drop the Vamp, and let’s go.”

“You’re lucky she’s here,” he growls low enough so only I could hear, pushing me forcefully away. I stumble a little ways, watching that bastard boy. I finally saw it. What Alison had been trying to tell me. He loves her. The way he looked at her … he didn’t want anything from her. He didn’t care if she loves him or not. He just wanted to make sure she was happy and safe.

Joseph helped Melody and … damn, what was his name? Martin, I think. I watched as they took Alison away. She was screaming suddenly, and I ran out into the hallway. Melody was trying to calm her down as she thrashed violently. Martin … I wasn’t sure what he was doing. Joseph, being his typical self, holding Alison as still as possible.

Tolle dolorum,” I murmur, remembering it for those months when we became friends. She loved me then. Everything was so much simpler. I can still remember every word I ever said to her. I can still remember what I wish so badly were true.

I had promised her a family. As many kids as she wanted. I promised her whatever she wanted. It didn’t matter what it was, she’d have it. I promised her an eternal life. She’d never die. It wouldn’t hurt, either. I promised her the world if she wanted it.

It all seemed so simple to give her everything she’d ever want. Now, it’s nearly impossible. All because she found him. Right when I had her … I should’ve never sent her down. That’s where my mistake was. If Alison had stayed up here with me then she would’ve never met David.

“Donnie! Donnie!” Alison said, shaking me awake.

“Huh? Alice, what’s wrong?” I asked tiredly, staring at her tear-stained face.

“I had another nightmare.” Damn. She’d been having too many of those. “There-there was f-fire —”

“Shh, Alice, it’s okay,” I said, rubbing her back soothingly. “Do you wanna sleep with me tonight?”

“Yes, please,” she said quietly, snuggling closer to me. “When will the nightmares stop, Donnie?”

“I don’t know, Alice, I don’t know,” I murmured quietly, sighing sadly. If only she knew the truth behind every one of those nightmares.


I still remembered every moment we spent together. Every little thing about her, I know. But, she keeps too many secrets from everyone. She keeps her guard up high, letting no one in. Not even Martin or her own children could break down those walls she’s spent so many years building.

“Alice, listen to me!” I said, grabbing her hand in a desperate attempt to make her believe me. “I’m real!

“No. You’re just a dream,” Alison says, shaking her head, squeezing her eyes shut. “Everyone says you are.”

“Alice, I’m real! What do I have to do to show you that?!”

Damn she’s so stubborn. Even at only ten. She gets more beautiful every second.

“There’s nothing you can do. You’re just a dream.”

“Please believe me.” I get down on my knees, holding her hand in both of mine. Her small hands were so warm and soft in mine, making it unimaginably tempting to just hold them forever. I kiss her hand, using every last ounce of my power to make her believe. “Don’t you remember?”

“What am I supposed to remember, Daniel?”

I love when she calls me Daniel instead of Donovan. I don’t know why I do.

Everything! All the nights you spent snuggled next to me in that tent down in Georgia,” I say, my hands cupping her face, forcing her to look at me. “You always called me Donnie.”

“Donnie …” Alison says thoughtfully. “That sounds familiar.”

“Yeah, see! If I were a dream, could I do this?” I ask, kissing her. I knew it was wrong. Someone could see us. But, I didn’t care. I just had to proove that I’m real.


I never understood how she had just forgotten about me. About everything. Maybe it was her Guardian, David. Maybe it was a spell from her mother. I never knew. I remember that one moment in Georgia …

“Alice, what do you see when you look out in the ocean?” I ask, smiling at her.

“I see a world of possibilities,” she says, smiling as she looks out at the glittering sea. “Why?”

“Well … what do you see when you look at me?”

Her big brown eyes look at me, thoughtful and sweet.

“I see … a family. A little girl and boy. Lots of boys and girls.” She smiles dreamily. “A big house right here. Right over there by the woods, too. Lots of happiness and love and-and —”

She was having a vision. She really saw that! I was speechless with happiness, pulling her in for a hug. “Oh, Alice, that’s beautiful!” I say, standing up and spinning her around in the air. “I promise you that that’ll be true. When you’re seventeen, we’ll have a big wedding! As big and grand as you want it, Alice! We’ll buy a big house right here on the beach! You can design it! We’ll have kids, lots of them! As many as you want!”

“Really, Donnie?” Alison asks, wrapping her tiny arms around my waist, grinning hugely at me.

“Whatever you want, sweetheart,” I say, leaning down and kissing her forehead. “Whatever you could ever want.”


She was so adorable back then; with her big brown eyes, shining auburn hair, tanned skin, slender, curvey, and beautiful. Her smile was always on her face, her laugh always effecting everyone in the room so that they laugh, too. She’s addictive to everyone; boys and girls alike.

“Oh, look at that little bitch,” Shelby Gray says, rolling her eyes at Alison as she was hard at work on a Science project. “I bet you that she doesn’t even know the father.”

Looks like that’s another one who has to die. Alison’s getting suspicious. But, I’m not having these bastards and bitches stress out the mother of my children. She’s too fragile at this point for that.

“Yeah, I know, the little whore,” Ariel Mackenzie sneers. “I mean, look at her! I bet the only reason Martin stays with her is because she’s such a professional fucker.”

I look over at Alison as she opened up her Science book. She looked perfectly innocent as she concentrated on trying to understand the book. Science was never her best subject. But, she refused to use her psychic ability. She hardly accepted help from anyone with anything.

“Alison,” I whisper quietly from the ceiling where no one would find me. I knew nobody but her would hear me, that’s the only reason I was trying.

“Go away, Donnie.”

“Baby, let me help you.”

“Don’t call me baby.”

“Fine. But, let me help you.”

“I don’t need your help.”

“Do you even understand half the words in that book, Alice?”

“No. But, I’ll get it.”

“That project is due today, isn’t it?”

“I would’ve had more time to do it if you hadn’t decided to knock me up.”

“Just let me help.”

“No. Now, get lost. Someone might see you.”

“Like who.”

“Like Martin. He’s waiting right outside the door for me.”

“Well, you can get to Bastard quicker if you let me help you. I know all of this already.”

“No. I’m not cheating.”

“It’s not cheating! It’s just tutoring.”

“No.”

I sigh, knowing there was no use in trying to get her to listen. She’s so damn stubborn. Which is just plain out sexy. I read over the book, recognizing what it was immediately.

“Alice, it really isn’t that hard.”

“What part of I don’t need your help do you not understand?” she snaps angrily at me. “I can do it by myself.”

“Just switch the blue and the red one,” I whisper quietly.

She rolls her eyes, doing what I said, nevertheless. I smirk. She picks up her Science book, throws it into her bag, and walks out of the classroom where Bastard was waiting for her. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders, and together they walked out of my sight.

I frown. Why couldn’t I do that? Why couldn’t I hold her like that? Why couldn’t I love her?