Status: Active.

You Think You're So Great

Chapter 6

It had been about a week since my mom and I had gone and talked to Mr. Thomas so I was starting to think maybe he forgot or couldn’t get anything done. I was lying down, my stomach towards the ceiling on my bed when the house phone started to ring and I jumped. I sat up quickly and headed towards the ringing phone. When I answered, I recognized the voice, it was Mr. Thomas. “Emily?” I heard him ask on the other line. “Yes,” I answered back, nervously waiting for what he might tell me. He started to speak again, “I wanted to inform you and your mother that the district attorney got a court order to get a DNA sample from Brayden Schenn.” He paused and I drew in a deep breath. “Anyway, he refused to comply with it and officers arrested him earlier this morning and took a DNA sample then, he’ll be there until he goes to his arraignment, where they will set his bail and read his charges to him.” I stood there holding the phone to my ear, trying to take in all that I had just been told. So this is really happening, I thought. “O-okay,” I managed to get out. ”Once all that is done, we’ll talk more because you’ll have to meet with me again to discuss what you’re going to say on the stand.” I nodded, but it wasn’t like he could see me so I said okay once again and hung up the phone. I immediately went downstairs and informed my mother of what I had been told.

*Flashback to earlier that morning at Brayden’s house.*

Brayden was asleep in his bedroom, hung over from another night of partying. He groaned when his alarm clock beeped 7:00am, he had to get up and go to his morning skate. When he sat up in his bed his head spun and he felt nauseous. He tiredly rubbed his eyes with his hands and found the bottle of ibuprofen on the table beside his bed. He shook out 3 ibuprofens and swallowed them without any water as he got up and searched for some clean clothes to put on, he was still wearing the jeans and t-shirt he was wearing last night. When he finally retrieved some from underneath a pile of other clothes he went and took a hot shower, hoping it would ease his hangover.

Brayden finished his shower and he headed downstairs to grab something to eat, when he got down them his mother was already awake and in the kitchen. “Morning, Brayden.” She greeted him enthusiastically then quickly returned to whatever she had been doing in the kitchen. Brayden sat at the kitchen table and quietly ate his apple while watching his mother. Then, there was a loud knock at the door. Before Brayden could get up his mother had already approached the door and opened it. Two police officers stood in the doorway. “What’s the matter, officers?” she asked with a concerned tone. “We need to speak with Brayden Schenn, is he around?” one officer replied. Brayden’s mother turned around to him and motioned for him to come to the door. When he got to the door the officer spoke again, “Brayden, we need you to come down to the station with us. We have a court order to get a DNA sample.” Brayden looked around like they couldn’t possibly be talking to him. “Excuse me?” he said. “I think you’d rather discuss this with just us, not with your mother here.” The office told him. Brayden looked at him like he was stupid “No, I won’t come with you and I won’t give you a DNA sample,” Brayden stated. “Alright, it was your choice.” The officer said. Then the other officer took out his handcuffs. “Brayden Schenn, You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you. Do you understand these rights as they have been read to you?” the officer read off his rights while handcuffing him and Brayden simply nodded yes. His mother watched them put him in their car and drive off. She had no idea what her child was capable of and she was very confused. Quickly she called a lawyer and told them what had happened.

“Will you tell me why you arrested me now?” Brayden asked the officers from the backseat. “You didn’t comply with the court order that was served to you. That’s grounds for arrest.” The officer told him without even looking back at him. “But why do they need a DNA sample? I haven’t done anything…” Brayden questioned nervously. “Listen, don’t ask me or tell me anything. I don’t believe you’d do what they said you did but it’s the law, I have to arrest you. The lawyer you get will tell you more once you’re processed in jail.” The officer told him. The rest of the ride was silent. Brayden knew why he was being arrested but he didn’t see how what he did was bad. Everybody wants him, don’t they? He didn’t do anything wrong… he thought to himself as they processed him in the Saskatoon jail. They then led him to his cell and he had to wait until his lawyer arrived to tell him what exactly was happening to him.

End flashback