We Can't Wake Up

Confronting Her

Slytherin was abuzz with excitement that evening. Tomorrow the first quidditch match was to be played, Slytherin versus Hufflepuff. An easy victory and the house could already imagine themselves the victors.

Marcus walked down to the Quidditch pitch with Arnold; Richard and Matthew were on the Slytherin team. Richard was a beater and Matthew was a chaser. Marcus listened quietly to the babble coming from Arnold. Apparently some people were worried about Anne Hammond, or at least her friends were worried as she kept disappearing at lunch and then for hours after school. Marcus frowned slightly at this information. He and Anne had only met once or twice at lunch time. He wondered what she could be doing for hours on end after school.

Arnold and Marcus stood in the stands and watched as the teams streaked past, ready to begin the game.

The game only lasted for half an hour. Slytherin won easily – 300 to 50. Marcus joined Arnold, Matthew and Richard for a quick lunch before heading to the clearing. Arnold, Matthew and Richard went back to the common room to complete homework.

Marcus found Anne pacing the clearing; ten steps, turn around, ten steps, turn around…..

He walked silently up to her and caught her from behind.

“Something wrong?” he whispered gently in her ear.

Anne went limp in his arms as his breath caressed her neck. With much effort Anne held herself up and turned to face him.

“No,” she replied, her cheeks red and her eyes downcast.

“I heard that you have been ‘disappearing’ after school,” Marcus continued in a low voice. His long fingers touched her chin and lifted it so that she would look at him. “What are you doing?”

Anne bit her lip hesitantly.

Marcus’ eyes narrowed. His hands moved from her face to her shoulders. “What have you been doing?” he asked his tone ringing with commandment but still quiet.

Anne raised her eyes to his again. “I’ve been walking a lot. Trying to figure out all this,” she replied quietly. “I’m just…..just, a little unsure at the moment.”

“Unsure of what?” Marcus gazed intently into Anne’s large brown eyes. His voice was still quiet, but now it was full of venom. He could see the shock on Anne’s face at the sudden change in tone.

“You, Marcus.” Anne paused as Marcus stepped back slightly and let go of her shoulders. “My friends were talking about the other day; they were saying that you’re evil and that you use people in the most horrible ways imaginable. That you will become worse than Lord Voldemort and anyone who gets close to you in any way will be murdered.”

Marcus waited for her to continue, his eyes intense and cold.

When she didn’t continues Marcus spoke “What about what all of your friends say? Does that matter to you?” Marcus could feel his heart beating faster, almost as if he didn’t want her to say yes.

Anne paused again. “No Marcus, it has no effect whatsoever.”

Marcus breathed an inward sigh of relief.

“But I do know that there is something in you; something that frightens me.” Anne watched his face cautiously. “I experienced that when you tortured me. If I had any sense at all I would never meet with you or…or have anything to do with you ever.” Her eyes brimmed with tears and she continued slowly, “But here I am. It doesn’t make any sense does it? You tortured me, yet here I stand.” The tears now spilled over and ran down her face. “Marcus, you are the most wonderful person I have ever met. It sounds strange doesn’t it? Yes, you are the most wonderful person I’ve ever met but you are also the worst and the cruelest.”

Marcus was silent, watching her pour out everything to him, tears flooding down her cheeks.

“And I am still here. Marcus, send me away, do something to me so that I never, ever come near you again. Please!” Anne was well and truly crying now, the wracking sobs convulsed her body and she could not talk anymore.

Muffliato, Marcus thought quickly and flicked his wand around the clearing. He closed the gap between them and wrapped his arms tightly around Anne’s body. He rocked her gently, stroked her hair, her back; talked to her quietly until she calmed down.

“Do you really want me to do that?” he asked as he wiped away the last of her tears. Anne looked up at him, love radiated from her face. Marcus was taken aback, he bit the inside of his cheek to stop any emotion displaying on his face.

Anne breathed deeply and looked down at the ground. When she looked back at him she shook her head. “No.” she gave a shaky laugh. “Do you think I am stupid? You said last time that I was like some stupid mutt, always coming back for more punishment. Do you really think that?”

Marcus remained silent for a long time. He thought deeply and eventually spoke. “I’m not sure.” he said quietly. “Yes, you are rather stupid coming back again and again, but….you are not like some stupid mutt.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?
Alice
xx