Status: A work in progress..updated randomly

Follow My Lead

Eighteen

Kyle was grumbling incoherent curses to himself as everyone met up to go on this damn zorb trip. Kyle secretly dreaded rolling down a hill in a large lightweight tire. He just couldn’t see the joy in it at all. Maybel on the other hand, jumped up and down on the balls of her feet. Through their connected hands, Kyle could just feel the excitement bubbling up inside her. There was no doubt in his mind who was going first.

“I am so ready for this!” she practically shouted, throwing her hair up into a ponytail. She pushed up her sleeves and latched onto Dave’s arm. “You’re going to go to right?” She looked at him with a smirk. Obviously, it wasn’t as amusing to him. He looked at her darkly, “You KNOW I don’t do spinning. At all. Of any kind May. Never again.”

May burst in a fit of giggles, “Yeah, yeah. That girl never called you after that one date to the fair did she…?” Everyone started trying to cover their laughs, catching on to quickly to what happens next in this story. Dave pinched the bridge of his nose half jokingly, “MAY, remember who’s paying.” She instantly threw her hands up in defeat.

She strapped herself in like she’d been doing this all her life. The professional double checked her and dubbed what she did perfect. She shot everyone a huge grin, which was whole heartedly returned. It seemed everyone forgot she was dying.

With a push from the professional, May started rolling down the hill. Her shrieking laughter echoed all around them. Kyle shut his eyes, to try to memorize the sound. When he opened his eyes he noticed Dave’s eyes were shut too. When Dave opened his, they shared a look. Kyle imagined that the mixture of sadness and joy were present in his eyes as well. He turned back to May who had almost reached the man at the bottom of the hill.

She was caught with ease and stumbled out of the contraption. She turned to them and held her hands up in victory. Everyone whooped and hollered at her as Andy started getting strapped in to go next.

--------

“I don’t see why I can’t still do merch! It’s just one show! It’s local for crying out loud!” Maybel huffed as she paced the kitchen. The boys sat at the island and small table, planning what to do for thir upcoming gig.

Lou decided to pipe up, “Guys, she has a point. If she says she feels fine then we should let her do it. These people know her, they’re not going to bombard her like we’re at Bamboozle or something.” Maybel paused in her pacing to smile gratefully at Lou.

Kyle eyed her, “Well are you positive? You’re not lying right?” He couldn’t help himself.

Andy beat May to what she was about to say, “Dude, stop babying her. She wouldn’t lie about some shit like that. This is really between Dave and May.” All eyes turned to the two siblings. May’s eyes pleaded with her brother. He stared at her entirely expressionless. Finally he caved with a sigh.

She clapped her hands excitedly. Everyone went back to picking out songs for a set. The show was to be them and I See Stars as their opener. It wasn’t going to be too big of a show. The venue they selected was a bit smaller than what they would normally play at but that was the point, to let the local kids have some fun.

Moments later, Maybel let out a squeak, “GUYS I DID IT! I MADE A MILLION!” Everyone clapped happily. Maybel pulled out her list and scrambled for a Sharpie. She crossed that off her list in green.
♠ ♠ ♠
I pretty much had to force this chapter out of my brain. I'm trying, really.

I still can't decide how to end it, life or death. We shall see.