We Could Leave This Town and Run Forever

Who Are You Willing To Risk It On?

I let out a groan as I heard my phone buzzing. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and grabbed my phone. I saw the time said 6:30…seriously? Who is texting me at 6:30? I looked and saw it was from James.

’Look outside :)’ it read.

I crept out of my bunk since no one else was awake and looked out the window. There was James standing with his guitar. He waved goofily at me and I let out a giggle before waving back. I pulled a sweatshirt on then walked outside.

James looked at me and started strumming his guitar and singing
”I'm waiting
For the perfect time to call you back
Cos' I remember saying
Don't wanna know the truth
Can't handle that

And I try to
Just forget you
But don't know how
If only I knew

It's written all over your face
Such a painful thing to waste
Tell me now where do we go?
Now the future's not so clear
I can't believe we've ended here
Where's the world that doesn't care?
Maybe I could meet you there”


“I love that song,” I softly smiled.

“I do too,” He replied. “Look, I know I said I understood that you didn’t want to go out and I’d give you time to think but…. I had to know, are you still sure about not going out?”

“James,” I sighed while walking closer.

“I know, it’s a no right?” James asked.

I walked over and wrapped my arms around him and we shared a big hug and I said, “I’m sorry James, but I can’t.”

“I really don’t understand why, but I trust you have a good reason. I just had to ask again to make sure it was a no,” He told me.

“Thank you for asking again. I think it’s super sweet,” I grinned.

“Well I’ll see you later,” James replied before kissing my cheek.

I trudged back into the bus and plopped down on the couch. I laid down and let out a big sigh and rubbed my forehead.

“Someone looks a little stressed,” I heard someone say.

I looked up and saw Tom’s kind face looking at me. He sat down and wrapped an arm around my shoulders and asked, “What’s wrong Kirstie?”

“I talked to James this morning and I had to say no again. I just feel really bad and I do like him,” I sighed while laying my head on his shoulder.

“Then why don’t you say yes if you feel bad and you like him? I’m confused,” Tom asked.

“I’m done with dating, I’m tired of being used and hurt. I don’t know if James will be the same or not,” I sighed.

“Kirstie,” Tom started. “You will always get hurt in relationships, you just have to decide who is worth it to risk it on.”

“Why do you make so much sense?” I teased.

“Well we understand each other, especially since we’re both wearing our Star Wars shirts,” He chuckled.

I looked at his shirt and then at mine and laughed, “We are dorks together.”

“Yep, Star Wars, Toy Story, and Back To the Future,” Tom smiled. “Except you don’t like Harry Potter!”

“Lord of the Rings all the way!” I beamed.

“I do love those movies but Harry Potter is better than Lord or the Rings,” He said.

“You are a sad strange little man,” I giggled.

He just laughed before pulling me into a hug. I thought a lot about what Tom just said and it really made me think, is James worth it to me?
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?

Kirstie and James