Ballad of Mona Lisa

That's okay as long as you can make a promise not to break my little heart, and leave me all alone.

[Brandon's P.O.V.]
*At the hospital before Lisa wakes up.*

I sat in the waiting room after receiving my own medical attention, for what Andrew did to me. I can't even imagine what Lisa feels like. I mean I have been in a fight or two before, but nothing like what today. I can only imagine how Lisa felt every time he hit her, because she's so delicate. I'm just thankful I called the police when I saw Lena come out of Andrew's apartment, because I knew shit was going to get ugly. They came just in time, because there was no doubt in my mind Andrew was going to kill her, and maybe me too.

When the cops were putting Andrew in the cop car, one of them recognized him, and said
"Hey didn't you used to live in Jersey?"

"Yeah why?" He said with his usual attitude.

"Because you're that punk who beat up my daughter's friend Marissa."

"Wait so he's done this before?" Another cop asked him.

"Yeah, thats why you moved out here didn't you? To avoid your other charges?" He said grabbing Andrew's bandaged shoulder, making him wince.

"I plead the fifth." He said looking down.

"Oh the judge is going to have fun with your dumb ass." He said lowering his head, and 'accidentally' hitting it on the car door.

"OWW! WATCH IT!" Andrew screamed.

"Woops." He said smirking, and shoving the rest of him in the car, and slamming the door.
I sat in the back of an ambulance waiting for the paramedics to finish my stitch. Andrew, and I made eye contact, and I can still feel the hatred. Even from at least 30 feet away I could feel the hatred, and anger in his soul. He was just an awful person, and I hope he rots in jail.

After he left I made the ambulance bring me to whatever hospital Lisa was at. All I could think about was how Lisa said she loved me. I hope she meant it because I never stopped thinking about her. I wonder if her baby's okay, and if it is what is she going to do with it? Will she keep it, and constantly be reminded of him, or keep him out of her mind forever, and have an abortion...

Now I'm sitting in the waiting room just waiting for nurse to tell me Lisa is okay. She lost almost half the amount of blood in her body, when they took her away she was white as a ghost. It is honestly the worst feeling seeing someone you love look like that, and not be able to help them with anything. God I wish it was me that he got. Why her? She doesn't deserve this. No one really does...
"Brandon?" I heard a sad low voice call. It was Lisa's mom.

"Mrs. Monar! How'd you get here?" I asked clearly smelling alcohol on her breath.

"Bus. Why is Lisa here? The police only told me she was here." She said looking at me with her slightly glassed eyes, and searching my face for something.

"Let's sit down. Theres a lot you need to know." I said walking her over to a seat, and filling her in on the past 5 months. She just took it all in, and slowly sipped from her water bottle of lord knows what.
Finally the nurse told us we could go into Lisa's room, after 18 long hours of waiting. She was still sleeping, but the nurse said if we wanted to go in we could, so we did. I sat by Lisa's side, and held her hand. I felt her hands move, and saw her eyes open slightly.
"Doctor! I think she's waking up." I yelled into the hallway, and saw him run down towards us.

"Lisa! Are you there?" I asked trying to get her to come to her senses.

"Lisa! Thank god you're okay I was so worried." I said grabbing her hand in mine, and thinking about what would have happened if I ignored her text. I looked at her beautiful, now bruised face and wanted to cry.

"Lisa, how are you feeling?" The doctor asked her. How do you think she's feeling dumb ass.

"In pain." She said in a weak tired manner.

"Figures we had to give you 75 stitches all over. If it wasn't for this boy here you probably wouldn't be alive." The doctor said putting his hand on my shoulder, as if I was this great guy for helping my friend. She looked at me, and got glassy eyed.

"How long have I been here?" She said trying to sit up, but immediately fell back down.

"Okay take it easy, and you've been here for about 18 hours straight. You lost a lot of blood." The doctor said helping her get comfortable, but I could tell she wasn't. I hated seeing her like this, and wanted to cry, and Lisa noticed.

"Can I talk to Brandon alone?" She asked looking down at her hands.

"Of course lets give them some privacy." The doctor said guiding everyone out of the room. I was nervous to hear what she had to say.

"Dont tell me, 'I told you so' please." She said looking at my sad eyes. That statement made me so mad. Doesn't she know me better? I would never say that to her!

"You really think I would say that to you?" I said with a slight attitude. I could tell what I said was stinging her.

"You have every right to... you were right, you always have been... I should have listened to you from day one." She said with tears in her eyes.

"You're right you should have listened to me, but that doesn't mean I'm going to belittle you for something someone else did to you." I said wiping the tear that fell from her eyes. She just took in what I said for a few minutes.

"Did he hurt you?" She said breaking her silence, and observing the blood mark on my shirt. She must have a hazy memory. I just lifted up my shirt, and revealed my 5 stitches. She started to cry at the sight.

"What about my baby?" She said as her tears slowed down, and looking at her bruised, and bloody stomach.

"I don't know...What if your baby is fine? Will you keep it?" I asked while rubbing her back for comfort.

"I really don't want to think about that right now..." She said wrapping her arms around my waist trying to avoid my stitches.

"What happened to Andrew..." She asked looking up at me.

"Well apparently he has charges in New Jersey, and came here to avoid his charges."

"What was he charged with?" She asked with slight fear in her voice.

"He did the same thing to another girl... The cop recognized him and said he'd be in deep shit pretty much."

"At least it wasn't just me..." She said crying.

"What do you mean?"

"At least now I know he didn't just hate me..."

"I don't think he hated you, or the other girl. His problem is he hates himself too much." I said making her look in my eyes. We laid in silence for a little while in her bed.

"You know I meant it." She finally said lacing her fingers into mine.

"Meant what?" I said looking at her, and stroking her hand with my thumb.

"That I loved you, and was too blind to see it." She said looking at me with her gorgeous, now black and blue, eyes.

"Are you just saying that because I'm your knight in shining armor?" I said chuckling, which made her slightly laugh too."

"No I really mean it. I love you Brandon. Honestly I was just looking at the new person in my life as opposed to the good thing I've had for years. Can you forgive me?" She said grabbing my hand again, and looking in my eyes.

"I love you too Lisa, and yes I can forgive you. Only on one condition."

"Sure what's that."

"Go to therapy...For everything with Andrew. Your dad. Your mom. Your anorexia/bulimia." I said waiting to hear her reaction to that. I expected her to freak out, but I was surprised.

"Okay... This time is different then the 8th grade though because now I want to change for myself and not for you." She said getting choked up.

"That means the world to me Lisa... Come here." I said wrapping my arms around her, and she returned the favor. She slowly pulled out of our hug, and as did I. We staring into each others's eyes intensely. Then she moved in and kissed my lips. This was the moment I'd been waiting for , for the longest time. And even though we were in a hospital room, both stitched up, and both emotionally distraught, it was more perfect then I could have ever imagined.

When we unfortunately parted ways. She looked at me in shock.
"You need to be patient with me. I'm going to be a wreck for a while.."

"I'm willing to do that, if you want me here."

"I think at this point I'm past wanting you. I need you here..."

"Well I'll be here." I said kissing her lips again, and hugging her. This, Lisa and I, felt so right for the first time in months. I was so ecstatic to have her again. I wouldn't let anything or anyone tear us apart again.