Status: finished.

Together by This Christmas Tree

and as a matter of fact.

cally mcgregor

I laid across Garrett’s couch, everyone else having left and wearing a pair of Garrett’s sweatpants and one of Kennedy’s sweaters, my hair down. I was comfortable, looking more and more like I normally did. Kennedy and Garrett were talking in hushed tones, and Pat was playing with my socks. It was comfortable.

John and Sumner had left almost twenty minutes after our little episode on the porch. I came so close to telling him, to telling him that I wanted him more than anything else this Christmas. But he had given me that absolutely dirty look, like I was disgusting and filth, a look I was used to. And suddenly, I tried so hard to keep the tears down and walked back inside, into Pat’s warm arms.

“I don’t get it,” Kennedy said, leaning back in the armchair. We were talking about John’s conversation, and it seemed as though these four boys were my best friends, a friend in the way that Damien could never be. Those friends that would make me laugh and smile, and those friends who seemed temporary but at the same time, completely and totally there for me forever. “John didn’t shut up about you for almost two weeks, and now he’s treating you like shit?” Kennedy frowned. Jess, who was that girl friend I had always wanted, perked up.

“Boys suck,” She said brightly, smiling at me and continuing to twist my hair. She was sitting on Eric’s lap, and had been playing with my hair while we talked, something I always imagined girls did. She breathed, speaking at the same time at Eric. “Gosh, Cally, your hair is so nice!”

Eric spoke at the same time, pouting. “But not me, right, baby?” Eric said, all of us aw-ing in the background as Jess smiled, turning around and kissing him deeply, before Eric continued. “But really, it’s like Sumner the first time around all over again. She’s controlling and taking over all his emotions. She was beyond pissed when Cally followed John out, and when John came back in, I thought she was going to kill someone.” Eric frowned, and I smiled.

“You guys make me seem like I’m such a great person compared to Sumner, but I have plenty of flaws too, guys.” I shrugged, and smiled sadly. “I don’t try to hold on to relationships, I let go too easily, I don’t speak my feelings, and most of all, I have such an inaccurate vision of myself that it’s almost too unrealistic.” I shrugged, feeling everyone’s eyes on me. “There’s so many more.” Jess rolled her eyes.

“Cally, it doesn’t matter if you have flaws. We all have flaws and sometimes they aren’t the best flaws and they rip us apart, but goddammit Cally. You are a much better person compared Sumner, who is selfish and everything, but honestly, love, you have many more positive attributes than negative ones.” Jess smiled at me, and I looked at her.

“Thanks,” I said, my voice almost silent as I looked at her with misty eyes. And what broke this beautiful bonding moment was Jared, who burst out laughing.
“What, are you two gonna sing about it?” Jared teased, and I jumped up faster than ever, putting one foot on the faded couch.

“IT’S HARD TO BELIEVE, THAT I COULDN’T SEE, YOU WERE ALWAYS THERE BESIDE ME!” I sang loudly, the first song that came to my head, and Jess, getting my idea, grabbed my hands and jumped around with me, something that was out of character for both of us.

“THOUGHT I WAS ALONE, WITH NO ONE TO HOLD, BUT YOU WERE ALWAYS RIGHT BESIDE ME!” Jess sang, and we both fell to the carpeted floor, laughing with our arms around each other. The boys simply stared at each other, and me and Jess kept laughing together, enjoying our company.

“Okay, Cally, focus,” Pat said, grabbing my foot and pulling me back towards the couch in a typical Pat way, happening to be with my best friend. “You need to get John to fall in love with you, or better yet, for him to realize you two are in love.”

I thought carefully, and suddenly, it was so easy. “My best friend Gemma is getting married in a week, and I have an extra ticket since Damien is bringing his girlfriend. I can ask John if he wants to go.” I shrug, and a light dawns on Pat’s face, like he thought of it himself.

“Call him right now and see if you can go over tonight!” Jared yelled, throwing my phone into the air and letting me catch it, smirking. “I’m sure Sumner’s working tonight, if that bitch even has a job.”

“Okay, stop trashing her,” I said, feeling bad but standing all the same, dialing John’s number and shushing them all. “Hey John, it’s Cally. I’m just wondering if I came maybe come over tonight. I have a proposition for you. Thanks.”

Silence filled the room with the sound of an answering machine, a drop and a fall in hopes, until Jess handed me a cup full of English breakfast tea, smiling. “Boys, it shouldn’t matter if John and Cally end up together, as long as they end up happy, and they have a beautiful story to tell.”

And then there was Jess, always making things better, whether it be with a cup of tea and a good reason to try, or a gentle smile and a tap of elbow against elbow. Eric looked at her with a look I envied, and tackled her to the ground, gently kissing her, despite all the force exerted to tackle her.

Pat cleared his throat loudly, but they didn’t separate. He sighed, turning to me with his dark brown eyes. “We need to get you ready for tonight, Cally,” Pat said, and to my surprise, reached on his tiptoes and kissed me on the cheek, smiling. “I hope this makes you happy, in the end.”

I wasn’t sure, but I had made a ton of new friends in the process.
♠ ♠ ♠
50 subscribers. wow. you guys are great.

merry christmas eve, guys.