‹ Prequel: What Can I Say?

Stay

Ours

“Seems like there’s always someone who disapproves. They’ll judge It like they know about me and you, and the verdict comes from those with nothing else to do. The jury’s out. My choice is you. So don’t you worry your pretty little mind people throw rocks at things that shine. And life makes love look hard. The stakes are high, the water’s rough, but this love is ours.” – Taylor Swift

Nick went with Melody to each of her sessions with a therapist. He listened as she finally opened up about her feelings with the pregnancy. Melody voiced her concerns about her career being put on hold for the baby and her own feelings of abandonment since her mom died. The one that surprised Nick the most was the fear that the stress of having a baby would make Nick relapse. If anything Nick was more aware that he could never drink again, and he made sure Melody understood that. It took a while but eventually Melody was able to talk about the baby without feeling sad about it. She still thought about all of the bad things that could happen once the baby is born, mainly losing their jobs in the music industry. Melody didn’t want someone else raising their child but at this point in their lives with the kind of jobs they have it would be almost impossible for Nick and Melody to raise their child alone. One of them would have to make the choice to stay at home with the baby. Nick tried to explain to Melody that would only be a temporary leave from song writing for her, and she could still take a few hours every day to write and work. For Melody she just couldn’t see that working. Then there was the problem of Nick’s sobriety. Melody was scared if he relapsed they wouldn’t last long, and having a baby be in the middle of that was not the kind of situation Melody wanted. Once again Nick tried to reason with Melody but nothing he had to say would change her mind.

After four sessions with the therapist Melody was finally ok with the pregnancy. Although she still had some reservations about having a baby she was able to except that in a few short months she would have a son or daughter. There were still those thoughts of doubt about having this baby, but she was able to handle them now without completely shouting down. Nick and Melody were back to having the relationship they wanted.

To help get ready for the baby Nick and Melody took on the task of turning one of the guest rooms into a nursery. It was not an easy task since they still didn’t know what they were having. At thirteen weeks it was still too early to find out and Melody was starting to get impatient.

“Maybe we should wait to paint until we find out the sex.” Nick suggested looking around the now bare room. “Then we can decide the theme for the room too.”

“Theme?” Melody asked raising an eyebrow at Nick.

“Well, yeah. You know just cute decorations and stuff.” Nick said with a shrug. “It was just an idea.”

“Alright, so what are some of your ideas?” Melody asked.

“For a boy I was thinking jungle or sports.” Nick said smiling as he thought of what the room would look like.

“And for a girl?” Melody inquired.

“I really haven’t thought about it.” Nick admitted. “I just have a feeling we’re going to have a boy.”

“If you say so Jonas.” Melody said rolling her eyes. “But I know we’re having a girl.”

“How could you possible know?” Nick asked shaking his head.

“I just know.” Melody said smiling. “But you’re right we should wait to paint.”

They walked out of the room hand in hand discussing possible colors for the room for when they did find out the sex. It was still hard for both of them to think about having a baby more so for Melody than for Nick. Melody tried not to let her old thoughts come back but there were some days when she thought it was a bad idea to have the baby, but she knew she would love her child when she laid eyes on her.

“What time is dinner at your parents?” Melody asked the next morning while she ate breakfast with Nick.

“Around five.” Nick answered before taking a drink of his coffee. “I should be back from my meeting at four.”

“Are you nervous?” Melody asked quietly.

They had chosen to tell Nick’s parents about the baby. It was time to tell their family, Melody’s baby bump was growing every day and eventually it was going to be very hard to hide.

“A little but I’m sure they’ll be supportive.”

As much as Nick wanted to believe what he said was true he was scared. He was scared his parents wouldn’t take the news well. His relationship with his dad had improved but there was still a little bit of tension between them. He knew his parents would be disappointed with him and his dad would want to look at in a business point of view. This would be bad for Nick’s image.

Melody couldn’t stop the uneasy feeling as she walked up to Nick’s parent’s house. She just knew this night wouldn’t end well. There was no way they were going to be happy their twenty one year old son having a baby out of wedlock. Nick held on to her hand tightly as he opened the door into his parent’s house. His brothers were already there with their significant others filling the house with loud laughter.

Of course everyone was gathered in the living room. The room instantly greeted the two who had just entered the room. Seeing the amount of people who were going to be witness to their big announcement scared Melody even more.

As they sat down with the rest of the family Nick and Melody were off in their own little worlds. Both thinking about what they were about to reveal. Nick was hopeful that his brothers would at least support him, they had always been there for him and he didn’t know what he would do if they didn’t agree with the choice Nick had made.

They had decided to wait until dinner was over to tell Nick’s family. It was hard for them to join in the conversations going on around the table. It didn’t take long for Denise and Joe to notice the somber expressions on Nick and Melody’s faces. Denise and Joe had always been the observant ones when it came to their family. They could know with one look that there was something wrong.

“Nick, you look like there’s something you want to say.” Denise said as the last of the food was being eaten.

Nick looked up from his plate to meet the eyes of his mother. He knew it would be either her or Joe that would be the ones to notice their weird behavior.

“Actually there is.” Nick said taking a deep breath. “Melody and I have something to tell you.”

Nick took Melody’s hand in his too help his nerves.

“Melody is thirteen weeks pregnant.” Nick said coming right out with what he had to say.
His family didn’t say anything a t first, but the looks on their faces told him they were not happy.

“We’ve decided not to get married as well.” Nick continued. “We would really love your support and lo-“

“Support?”

Nick stopped what he was about to say as his dad spoke.

“You get a girl pregnant and we’re supposed to support you?” Kevin Sr. said his words cutting into Nick like he was nothing.

“When did you find this out?” Denise asked quietly.

“About two months ago.” Nick said trying to keep his cool.

Melody kept her head down not wanting to see the looks on the Jonas’s faces. She cried silently as she listened to what everyone was saying.

“You’ve known for two months and you’re just telling us?” Kevin asked his younger brother not believing he would do that.

“We had some things to sort out before we wanted to tell you.” Nick said through clenched teeth.

“Like what?” Kevin asked. “Why couldn’t you tell your family you knocked a girl up?”

“I didn’t want him to.” Melody said quietly before Nick could respond. “I was ashamed, up until a few days ago I didn’t even want to have this baby.”

“What about your careers?” Kevin Sr. asked. “You can’t have this baby and still have the career you want.”

“Why not?” Nick asked this time not bothering to be nice about it.

“You are having a child out of wedlock! Your fans are not going to like that Nicholas!”

“Fine then I’m done.” Nick said as he pushed his chair back. “I’m done with this career and done with you if you can’t support us.”

Melody didn’t know what to do as Nick stood up from his chair. His eyes never leaving his father’s steady gaze. She looked around at the rest of Nick’s family and noticed they all wore the same disappointed expression.

“Nick, stop being so dramatic.” Joe said finally speaking. “You can’t expect us to be happy right away. Give us some time.”

“I’m not being dramatic.” Nick said turning on his brother. “I think this is fucking bull shit. We wanted everyone’s support in this but I guess that’s too much to ask for.”

“Nick, please calm down.” Denise said quietly.

“No. We’re out of here.” Nick said shooting a glare towards his father.

Melody quickly stood up and walked with Nick out of the house. As they drove home all Melody could think of was the way Nick’s family reacted. It was exactly what she had been thinking for weeks about the baby. It was nothing but a burden to everyone’s lives.

“Mel, don’t let what they said get to you.” Nick said as they sat in the car outside of their house.

Nick placed a hand over her stomach and looked deep into Melody’s eyes. She saw how much he loved her and she knew he was going to love their child just as much.

“Nick, are we doing the right thing?” She whispered.

“Of course.” Nick said surprised she would ask that.

“I hope you’re right.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So I was going to wait until I have chapter three written but since I was getting some comments I decided to be nice and update this! I hope I cleared up the confusion on Melody, if not let me know and I'll try to explain! I'm thinking in the next two to three chapters it should start getting a little more interesting!
I'm still on the fence with the baby. I don't want to disappoint you guys but what I have pictured for this story might not be what you guys want. But we'll see, I won't have to make that decision for a few more chapters!
I hope you guys are enjoying this so far!!
Thanks for reading!!
Comment please!!
Here is a little shout out to those who have already commented:
stormy nights
FernFamicide
nat1016
Thanks for commenting!!
: )