Anything for Us

You just run away.

Dakota and Hendrix were very quiet when we all ate breakfast the next morning, but with Rocco’s efforts to cheer Hendrix up with video games, and me pulling Dakota into my arms and snuggling with him, they were much better by the time we got to school.

Of course, no-one’s talked about the argument, but I think that’s best for now. Until things have calmed down at least.

When Scott picked the 4 of us up from school and Dakota asked to be taken to our house, Hendrix readily asked to be taken too, which wasn’t all that much of a surprise. If Joaquin really isn’t going back to their house, then they’ve got to stick together.

So it’s understandable that when we walked into the house and saw both my dad and Joaquin sitting at the kitchen island, we were all extremely shocked.

“What are you doing home, baby?” Scott asked, pressing a kiss to my dad’s lips.

“Joaquin gave me a call about an hour ago and said he wanted to talk. He took a wild guess that Dakota had called Angel last night and he knew that Hendrix would’ve gone wherever Dakota went. So I rearranged my client meetings for today and came home. We’ve been talking since he got here,” my dad explained.

Joaquin nodded, not looking at his brothers. I just wanted to punch him for making them so upset. Asshole.

“I mainly wanted to say thank you for letting my brothers stay the night, for looking after them when I couldn’t,”

“Then why the fuck did you leave them?” I snapped before I could stop myself.

“Angel,” my dad warned.

“No, it’s okay,” Joaquin said, shaking his head, “I can’t be around that bitch anymore. I really can’t,”

“So you meant it? You’re not coming back?” Dakota asked quietly.

“No, I’m not,” Joaquin replied.

I heard Dakota’s breath hitch in his throat, and his grip on my hand tightened. Hendrix just buried himself into my side. It took all my effort not to do any more than gritting my teeth. How dare he hurt Dakota and Hendrix like this?

But we may have a solution,” my dad added, narrowing his eyes at me.

I narrowed my eyes right back.

“Let’s hear it then,” Rocco said, folding his arms over his chest.

Joaquin and my dad shared a glance, before looking back at us.

“Tomorrow I’m going to the court house and I’m starting a lawsuit against mom,”

“You’re what?!” Dakota shrieked.

My jaw just dropped. I didn’t need to look around the room to know that Hendrix, Rocco and Scott were the same.

“Hear me out. I’m suing her for negligence and I’m putting in a request for guardianship. Full guardianship of the two of you,” Joaquin explained.

Holy fucking shit.

“R-Really?” Hendrix asked hopefully.

Sometimes I forget how hard things must be at home for Hendrix – Dakota’s had me all his life and Joaquin left as soon as he could, but Hendrix barely has anyone, if anyone at all.

“Yeah, I am. I’m over the legal age limit to do so, and because we all share at least some genes it’s a stronger bid. Also, the restaurants have doubled their profits so it’s not like I can’t afford to keep you two. What I’ll also be petitioning for is that the two of you keep your trust funds with no blocked access. If mom has any sense and doesn’t want a public scandal – because believe me, I will make it a public scandal – she’ll accept what I’m campaigning for and won’t go to court. And as soon as I win, I’ll be looking for an apartment or a house for the three of us,” Joaquin finished.

“I’ll be aiding as a witness to her negligence, supporting that Joaquin is a much better guardian for the two of you. I’ve known the bitch for most of my career and I can provide a very accurate witness statement,” my dad added, smirking slightly.

The room fell silent as we processed their words. I can’t believe it. I can’t believe this is happening. If Joaquin can make this work, this will be the best thing possible to happen to Dakota and Hendrix. But if he takes too long with the process, or if it gets too messy, the two youngest Rae’s will be even more heartbroken than they are now. All I want is for Dakota to be happy.

“So what do you want us to do?” Dakota eventually asked.

“You’ll be staying here. Both of you. Unfortunately because I’m a supporting witness I can’t stay here, and because we need to show that this house is a good place for a family and that I’m reputable, Scott will have to stay here without me,” my dad explained.

“That’s okay. Whatever will help,” Scott interrupted, smiling shyly.

My dad grinned. Eww, I’m so not going to be here for their goodbye sex. Eww.

“The court may need statements from the two of you, but I’ll let you know that when the time comes. Other than staying here, I just want you to carry on your lives as normal. The sooner I gain guardianship, the better – for all of us,” Joaquin said seriously.

“You will come back for us though, right?” Hendrix asked quietly, finally lifting his head from where it was buried into my side to look at his oldest brother.

Joaquin’s serious face faded into a sad expression, and he moved to crouch in front of Hendrix, resting a hand on his shoulder.

“Of course I will. We’re brothers – nothing’s going to come between that anymore,” Joaquin said softly.

“Promise?” Hendrix asked hesitantly.

“Promise,” Joaquin nodded.

Hendrix whimpered and flung his arms around Joaquin, hugging him tightly, Joaquin immediately hugging him just as tightly in return. As soon as he let Hendrix go, Dakota darted forward and hugged him too. I had to pry my hand out of Dakota’s as I was jerked forward with him, but he meant well. After a few more minutes of tearful goodbyes, Joaquin headed towards the front door. What Dakota and Hendrix didn’t notice was that he beckoned me to follow him. I frowned but nodded at Rocco to take my place in hugging the Rae brothers. I followed Joaquin to the front door, where he was waiting hesitantly.

Oh good, he knows I’m not happy with him.

“Hey, um, look after Dakota, yeah? I know how hard this is for him,” Joaquin said quietly.

“Damn, I was just going to leave him to wallow on his own,” I said sarcastically.

Joaquin sent me a withering look, to which I just rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, I’ll look after him. You know I’d do anything for him,” I said simply.

“Good. Um, also, just a head’s up but Hendrix likes to snuggle with someone when he’s upset. Despite his friendship with Rocco, he’s known you longer so please make sure you and Dakota are…wearing some sort of clothing when you go to bed?” Joaquin asked.

I just snorted. Nice.

“Yeah, I’ll make sure we don’t scar the kid. Anything else?” I asked.

“No, nothing else,” Joaquin replied, shaking his head.

“This had better work out, Joaquin. I don’t want either of them crying themselves to sleep again like last night,” I said softly, but with enough warning in my voice to let him know I was serious.

“It will work out,” Joaquin said firmly.

Good. I smiled briefly at him, to which he nodded at and left. As soon as I re-entered the kitchen, Dakota immediately moulded himself to my side, Rocco and Hendrix hunting through the fridge.

“Dad and Scott are heading out to a hotel for goodbye sex, and he gave us $50 for takeaway food,” Rocco announced.

“Pizza and movies?” I suggested to the group.

Dakota just nodded against my side and Hendrix smiled slightly from across the room. I’ll take that as a yes.

*

“Why are you putting pyjama pants on? You sleep naked in your bed,” Dakota frowned, standing in just his boxers.

Nice.

“Good to see you’re back to your usual self,” I teased.

Dakota blushed and punched me lightly in the arm.

“I just have a feeling it’s for the best. Keep your boxers on too,” I told him.

Dakota pouted but got into bed wearing the boxers. I count that as a win.

~

30 minutes later, I was just dozing off to sleep when my door creaked quietly open.

“A-Angel? Are you awake?”

Hendrix. Just like Joaquin said.

“Yeah, Drix. What’s up?” I yawned.

“C-Can I sleep in here with you guys? I don’t want to be alone tonight,” Hendrix asked quietly.

I can understand that. Not wanting to get abandoned like Joaquin pretty much has for now, and like their mom always has.

“Sure you can,” I replied, smiling.

Hendrix quickly shut the door behind him and walked over to the bed. I shuffled myself to the right side of my bed, moving Dakota into the middle so Hendrix could lie down on the left side.

“I should’ve known you’d known this would happen. Fucking cockblock,” Dakota muttered into my ear, snuggling into my side.

I chuckled under my breath, gently running my fingers through his hair before tugging slightly in warning. Dakota has to behave tonight.

“Thank you,” Hendrix said quietly.

I just squeezed his shoulder to say no problem before closing my eyes again. I have a feeling the next few weeks will be very interesting, don’t you?
♠ ♠ ♠
Well this should be interesting ^_^
Dakota and Angel living together until Joaquin gains full guardianship?
Hmm...

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter! Please keep your feedback coming :)

anna;
Caitlynnnn
Sarcastically Blunt
odysseychic403
wo0two0t789
kew_atl
BeautifullyTattooed
JessicStar
Lazz
pixie dusttt.
CeraRachel
Looking4You760 (x5 – lol!)

xo