Anything for Us

It's all you've ever known about yourself.

“You are so going down!” Rocco jeered.

“I don’t think so, jerk-off,” I smirked.

“Eat my dust, bitch,”
“Suck it, asshole,”
“What do you call that move, loser?”
“You’ve got no chance, kid,”

“Seriously guys? All this over Dance Dance Revolution?” Scott snickered, appearing in the doorway.

“What? I didn’t spend a summer with Dakota forcing me to master it for no reason, y’know,” I shrugged.

“Girls in Milan were impressed by any guy that could do well at this game,” Rocco added.

“Is the trash talk necessary?” Scott mused.

“Hell yeah, makes it more fun,” I grinned.

Scott rolled his eyes and left the room, only making us laugh.

“Snack break?” Rocco suggested.

“Definitely,” I nodded.

Rocco bumped his fist with mine before leaving the games room, letting me flump down onto a comfy sofa. It’s getting pretty late at night, quite dark outside now February has hit, but it’s been pretty fun just chilling out with my brother. Yasmin and Zach were over earlier but they left to go do things I don’t want to think about. I haven’t seen Dakota since school ended – something about Joaquin coming over for dinner.

As Rocco came back into the room with a bowl of nachos and two diet cokes, my cellphone started ringing. Dakota. Huh.

“Hey doll,” I said cheerfully.

“A-Angel? Are you b-busy?” Dakota whimpered.

Immediately I frowned. Dakota’s been crying, I can hear it in his voice.

“What’s wrong, Kota?” I asked worriedly.

Rocco frowned at me but I just shrugged. I don’t know what’s going on yet, but it doesn’t sound good.

“Joaquin and mom had an argument. A really bad one. He’s stormed out the house and he said he’s never coming back and I don’t know what to do! He can't leave us! He can't!” Dakota wailed.

Fuck. Dakota always gets upset when his brother and mom argue, but with Joaquin saying he’ll never come back? That’s got to hurt. I know they’re close.

“Ssh, calm down. Do you want me to pick you up?” I asked softly.

“Drix too?” Dakota sniffed.

“Of course,” I replied.

“Please,” Dakota choked.

“Alright, I’ll be there as soon as I can. Pack an overnight bag for the both of you,”

“T-Thanks, Angel,” Dakota hiccupped.

“No problem,”

I ended the call and immediately walked out the room, Rocco following me.

“Are Dakota and Hendrix okay?” Rocco frowned.

Huh. I never thought he’d be concerned about Dakota’s welfare.

“They’re really upset about an argument Joaquin had with their mom. He said he’s never coming back again,” I sighed.

“Shit,” Rocco grimaced.

In the small amount of time he’s been back here, he’s figured out just how close the brothers are too. I pushed open the doors to the front lounge, where my dad and Scott were sitting. They frowned at the worried look on our faces.

“Is everything okay, boys?” my dad asked, confused.

“I need to go pick up Dakota and Hendrix,” I said firmly.

“Joaquin and the bitch arguing?” my dad sighed.

It’s sad that it’s easy to pinpoint the problems in the Rae family.

“Even worse than usual,” I nodded.

“I can drive you, if you want?” Scott offered.

Even though I got my permit a couple of weeks ago, I’m still learning. And I can’t drive this late, obviously.

“You don’t mind?” I asked.

“No, not at all,” Scott replied, shaking his head.

“Thanks,” I sighed.

“I’ll go set up the guest rooms,” Rocco announced.

I won’t mention that Dakota will most likely sleep in my bed.

“I’ll make a batch of hot chocolate,” my dad added.

I like this, all of us rallying together for once.

“Alright, let’s go,” I said firmly.

~

15 minutes later, I was in the back seat of Scott’s Jaguar with Hendrix asleep with his head in my lap and Dakota crying into my chest.

“I hate this. I hate it when they fight,” Dakota whimpered, clutching at my hoodie with both hands.

I smiled sadly and held him a little tighter.

“I know you do babe. But it’s going to be okay. I’m here now, and I’m going to look after you. You’ll be okay,” I soothed, running my fingers through his hair.

“Yeah, I will be,” Dakota mumbled.

I pressed a kiss to the top of his head, catching Scott’s eyes in the mirror. He drove a little faster. The only sounds in the car were Hendrix’s soft snuffle breaths and the occasional sniff and quiet whimper from Dakota. I meant what I said. I am going to look after him – I hate it when he gets himself worked up like this. Hopefully the situation will get resolved soon, but until then I’m going to make sure he gets all the comfort he deserves. That they both deserve. Seeing them both this upset isn’t right, especially Dakota.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh Dakota and Hendrix :(
Joaquin leaving? That can't be good for them.
At least they've got Angel to look after them!
The next update shows what happens the following day.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the last chapter! Please keep you feedback coming :)

Lazz
kew_atl
pixie dusttt.
Fascination.
s t a y y o u n g .
BeautifullyTattooed
Hat.
JessicStar
Sarcastically Blunt

xo