Anything for Us

It's hard to love when I've been stuck in hell.

Just over a week passed since the situation with Scott. As far as we know, everything is okay again between Scott and Dad. Well, Scott’s still living here and he’s smiling chirping along like always, so I’ll take that as a good sign. Dad’s barely been home between work and the court case, and Dakota and Hendrix have barely seen their brother. I know that makes Dakota anxious, which isn’t good for him.

Today though him and Hendrix had to take the day off school to go for an interview with the court psychologist. Seeing as this case has now escalated into a public news scandal (Joaquin did warn that he would kick up a fuss to destroy their mom), they had a hired escort to and from the courthouse, meaning even Scott couldn’t make sure they were okay.

I’ll just have to wait for him to come back to mine when he’s done.

All through the day I could barely concentrate, too busy worrying if Dakota was okay. I know what stress does to him. He could make himself sick with worry if he’s not careful. The only time I paid full attention to anything was in Basketball practice, and that’s only because we have the Varsity Championship game in just over a week, and there’s no way I’m losing that.

When Rocco and I got back home after school (Zach dropped us off because Scott had to work late and there’s no way we’re getting the bus), Dakota and Hendrix weren’t back.

“Where are they? Where the fuck are they? They should be finished by now! What if something’s wrong?!” I asked my brother.

“Chill, Angel. You would’ve had a text or a call if something was wrong. They’re probably caught in traffic,” Rocco shrugged.

Thanks for the help, bro.

Half an hour later, there was a knock on the door. Dakota and Hendrix. Thank fuck.

“Stupid traffic,” Hendrix muttered, taking his shoes off neatly.

Rocco flashed me a ‘told you so’ glance before steering Hendrix away to the games room. At least I get privacy with Dakota now.

“So what happened?” I asked softly, taking his hand.

Dakota linked his fingers with mine, squeezing them gently as he walked towards the living room. He sat down on the sofa next to me and curled up against my chest before he started talking.

“The psychologist lady took statements from us. Like, what’s the atmosphere like at home, and how I feel about it and what role mom and Joaquin have in my life etc. Just stuff like that but it was emotional and we had to keep going over and over everything,” Dakota sighed.

Damn. That can’t have been fun.

“Are you okay?” I asked softly.

“Not really,” he replied in the same tone.

I held him a little tighter, running my fingers through his hair to sooth him.

“I don’t like it, Angel. I don’t like any of it,” Dakota said quietly.

“I know, sweetheart. But after this everything will be better,” I reassured.

“But what if it isn’t?” Dakota asked sharply, pulling away a little to look up at me.

What the fuck?

“Kota…”

“I’m serious!” he interrupted, “What if nothing gets better? What if everything gets worse? What if mom wins and I can’t see Joaquin again? What if mom wins and I can’t see you again because your dad helped Joaquin? I can’t deal with that!”

He carried on rambling all sorts of possibilities, getting more and more hysterical, until I cupped his face with my hands, forcing him to look at me, forcing him to calm down.

“Listen to me, I will say this only once. There is nothing on Earth that can keep us apart. No laws, no parents, nothing. I will always find a way to be with you, no matter what it takes,” I said firmly.

I hope he understands how truly I mean this.

Dakota’s eyes pricked with tears and he whimpered softly.

“I don’t deserve you,” he mumbled.

“You could have more,” I blurted.

Dakota’s eyes went wide in surprise. Shit! Why did I say that?! Then his face softened, allowing me to let out a soft breath of relief. Damn. I was that close to ruining everything.

“I want more. I’m trying to change for you, Angel, I promise. You deserve someone so much better than me, but I trying,” Dakota said with a weak smile.

“I know you’re trying. Hell, you haven’t even flirted with anyone all week!” I smiled, trying to lighten the situation.

Dakota blushed slightly.

“Yeah, well, I know you don’t like it,”

I chuckled, rolling my eyes.

“And what else has Rocco pointed out I don’t like?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

Dakota squeaked. Hah, I knew they were up to something.

“I-I don’t know what you mean!” he protested, eyes wide with fake-innocence.

I’ve known him too long to believe that.

“Uh huh. Well, whatever it is that you two aren’t doing, just make sure that it isn’t illegal. And that you definitely want to do it,” I teased.

“I do. I definitely do,” Dakota said quickly.

I just smiled and pressed a soft kiss to his temple, before standing up. That’s what I like to hear.

“Come on, let’s go make sure that Rocco isn’t teaching Hendrix how to tie-dye your clothes,” I grinned.

Dakota yelped and ran from the room before I could even help him stand up.

“TIE-DYE WAS SO 90S, HENDRIX!”

I just laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tensions run high in the next update...
(The day before the Championship game)

Sorry for taking so long, we changed over internet providers and there were problems etc etc.

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter! :)
xo