Anything for Us

And that's all I'll ever know about myself.

It’s the day before the Junior Basketball Varsity Championships. The last week has been hectic for both me and Dakota, me with training every morning and night and Dakota with the court case, so I’ve had very little time to relax just with him. Which isn’t fun for me – I like the Dakota time I’ve gotten used to since he moved in with us. The only time I’ve really spent with Dakota is when we sleep in the same bed at night, and even then I have to be up for practice before he gets up for school, so I can’t even just lay there with him.

It’s not fair.

But, after tomorrow, everything will be back to normal. Even if we lose the Basketball final (which we probably won’t, the team is on such good form right now), at least I’ll get my time back with Dakota. At least then at least one thing can go back to normal in my life.

Anyway, after school ended I had to head to practice, but when I got there Dakota was waiting for me. Huh.

“Why are you here?” I frowned, opening my locker.

“Harsh much, Angel?” Zach snickered.

“Do you mind giving us a few minutes, Zach?” Dakota asked softly.

Zach frowned slightly but nodded. Clearly he can sense something’s not right here, just like I can. What’s up with Dakota? When Zach had gone, Dakota took my hand and tugged me down to sit on the bench with him.

“Why are you here, Dakota?” I asked, trying to sound less harsh.

“You’ve been really quiet all day, Angel. Like, way more than your usual quiet. Are you okay?” Dakota asked.

He’s here because he’s worried about me? Wow.

“Um, yeah I guess so. Just nervous about tomorrow, that’s all,” I shrugged.

“You’re worried about the game? Angel, everyone knows the Huskies will win because of you,” Dakota smiled.

“And that isn’t a lot of pressure on me?” I asked sharply, raising an eyebrow.

Dakota winced slightly, making me feel bad.

“Sorry, I don’t want to take my stress out on you. I really don’t,” I sighed.

“It’s okay. I get it, this has been a difficult time for everyone,” Dakota replied.

“When did you get so wise?” I mused.

“When I realised what I wanted out of life and how I had to get it,” Dakota said simply.

What does he m…oh. Oh. He’s talking about…us?

“Dakota, I…”

Dakota pressed a finger to my lips, cutting off my words.

“Ssh. Right now isn’t the time for us to talk about everything. You have the game to focus on and I have the court case. When everything around us is sorted, then we can deal with…us. But for now, I just want do this,”

I didn’t have time to reply before Dakota pressed his lips to mine. What confused me was the way he kissed me. Usually he’s so confident, so sure of what he wants when he kisses me. But now…he’s kissing me so softly, so uncertainly, hesitant almost. I don’t like it. I don’t like how he’s changing. Why is he changing? Why is he changing for me? Why can’t he just stay like the Dakota I love?

So I pulled away, breaking the kiss. Dakota stayed frozen for a couple of seconds before he bit his bottom lip.

“What’s wrong, Angel?” he asked nervously.

Nervous. Around me. This isn’t right.

“I’ve got to go,” I muttered.

As I stood up, I watched his face crumple. But I left anyway.

*

[Rocco]

I can’t believe I’m doing this. I can’t believe I’ve resorted to this. Why the fuck am I always getting caught in the middle of shitty things like this? Why do I have to be the sensible one when I really shouldn’t be.

Fuck my life.

“Rocco? Why are you calling me?”

Yes, I’m calling Dakota. Like I said, fuck my life.

“Where are you?”
“I’m with Yasmin and the rest of the cheerleaders? Why? Do Hendrix or Angel need me?”
“Well if I’d seen Angel, I might be able to give you an answer to that,”
“W-What?”

I sighed. I’m going to have to spell this out for him, aren’t I?

“Angel didn’t come back after practice. Dad, Scott and I thought he’d be with you or Zach or someone, but I’ve just seen on Zach’s twitter that he’s just gotten back from dinner with his parents and his grandma, so Angel’s not with him. I was hoping he’d be with you,”
“N-No, he’s not. I only saw him before practice but he left me really quickly in a funny mood and I didn’t see him after. I had cheerleading practice with Yasmin and the girls and then Yasmin gave me a ride to hers and I’ve been here ever since,”

Great. Just fucking great.

“So you have no idea where Angel is?”
“No, I don’t,”

Then something clicked in my head. He left me really quickly in a funny mood. What the fuck did Dakota do to him?

“What did you do, Dakota? Before practice?”
“What do you mean?”
“You said he left you in a funny mood. What did you do?”

I’m gritting my teeth here, I really am. Dakota was silent for a couple of seconds, only making my temper rise a little more. Seriously, what did he do?

“I kissed him. Like I really meant it,”

Fucking great.

“You scared him off? Nice fucking job, Dakota!”
“I didn’t think he’d run!”

I rolled my eyes at the whine in his voice.

“If Angel’s done something stupid because of you fucking with his head, then I’ll hunt you down and kill you, do you understand me?”

“That’s a bit over the top, isn’t it, Rocco?”

Angel!

“Is that Angel? Is he there?”

I ended the call with Dakota, turning to face my brother properly. Oh he’s in big shit.

“Where the fuck have you been?! It’s midnight and practice ended 6 hours ago!” I exasperated.

“None of your business,” Angel muttered, heading for the stairs.

“Hey, don’t you walk away from me,” I warned.

Angel snapped his head towards me, something dark and angry flashing in his eyes that made me step backwards in confusion.

“Stop me,” he growled.

Woah.

As Angel stomped upstairs, Dad and Scott joined my side from the kitchen.

“Was that Angel? Did he just get back?” Scott asked worriedly.

“Yeah, he’s back. But something isn’t right,” I murmured, staring up the vacant stairs.

“What do you mean?” Dad asked, confused.

“I don’t know. But something’s not right with him right now. And I don’t like it,” I frowned.

“What should we do?” Scott asked.

I have no idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
Um, are you confused?
Good.
Angel's a bit messed up in the head, isn't he?
Oh Dakota :/

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter! I really appreciate your feedback!

xo