Status: A new chapter every day (:

Christmas and Wrapping Paper

Chapter 14

I dusted off my hands and smiled. "Nice work, Chris." Nick proclaimed from next to me. 

"Thanks," I replied, looking down at my feet. 

"So, you ready to go make breakfast?" Nick inquired. 

I was shocked, an hour and a half of moving old man stuff outside and now I had to go be Ms. Chef lady. I groaned,  "Do I have to?"

He broke into a goofy grin, "Nah, Higgins is going to do it."

***

I'd always wanted to do a yard sale when I was a kid. It seemed like it would be so much fun, selling my old stuff for money. 

As I swat I fly away, I realized just how wrong I was. sitting in the bitter cold with my butt permanently frozen to a plastic lawn chair, I was miserable. 

I shivered and a very familiar masculine voice started to speak from beside me. "You cold?"

I gave Nick a cold stare, "No, I'm perfectly toasty." A said, my voice leaking sarcasm. 

Nick pealed off a coat and handed it to me. "No, won't you be cold?" I questioned, the thick coat promising me warmth. I didn't dare take it from Nick, it was his coat after all. Cold tendrils of air curled around me and I considered putting it on. 

"Nope, I'm good. I don't think it's possible for me to feel cold through all of this condensed muscle." He replied, silliness creeping into his voice. 

I pulled the heavy gray coat over my slender shoulders. I instantly realized the icy fingers stroking my cheeks had receded into the dark, cold abyss that I had previously been exposed to. I pulled the Eskimo type hood over my glossy black hair to keep the chilly breath of he world from whispering against my cheeks. 

"Hello." Nick and I turned to see a cheery young woman standing before us in he tiny yard surrounding the orphanage.  "I would like to buy this, please." She stated holding up a box of trinkets.  

"Alright, Ma'am, that will be fifteen dollars." Nick negotiated. 

After the lady walked away, things started to go our way. People lined up to purchase the antiques. Mostly elderly people, I mean, who else would want such outdated items?

***

I sat in the newly emptied storage facility and counted the dough. All the children sat in a circle around me, waiting for the final verdict.

A smile claimed my lips as I finished sorting through the change. "2,873.27." 

Everyone around me started cheering and dancing around. I knew this was a big deal for the kids with less than nothing. It might mean Christmas presents they had been derived of in their previous years. It might mean a little bit more space to claim as their own. 

Whatever it meant, I was truly happy that I had helped create the hope and joy that was beginning to swell in their hearts. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked the chapter! Please comment an tell us what you think of the story.