Status: A new chapter every day (:

Christmas and Wrapping Paper

Chapter 21

I racked my brain trying to figure out why those eyes sent a pang through my heart. Did I know someone with Amber eyes?

Nick! Of course! And this must be his mother…

"Nick!" I yelled into the house before the beautiful woman could even speak. She did give a smile though, when I called her son's name.

Nick came bounding into the room, quickly looking me over.

"Chris, are you o-," he cut himself off when his mother opened the door a little wider and stepped through. His jaw nearly touched the floor while the woman stepped forward as I motioned her in. I stepped away to allow them some room, but Nick grabbed my arm and stopped me. He shook his head as if trying to shake the shock.

“Hello Nicholas.” The woman finally spoke, fiddling nervously with one of the buttons are her knee-length fur coat. “I haven’t seen you in so long. You know who I am, don’t you?”

“Mom.” He breathed, stepping away. He shook his head at her, walking all the way out of the room and into the kitchen. I gave the woman a look in apology before I went after him.

“Nick!” I scolded. “Your mom came back to see you after all these years, probably to make amends, and you run off?”

“Yeah.” He replied, crossing his arms defensively, leaning on the counter. “It took her almost 16 years to come and see me.”

“She was probably nervous! You would be too after dropping your son off at an orphanage and wanting to see him. You’d be shaking in your boots!” I declared.

“I’d never drop my son off at an orphanage.” He stated.

“Oh.” I replied as if he’d said something particularly interesting. “So you’d keep your child and allow him to go hungry because you had no money.” I nodded, pretending to ponder said circumstances. “What a great parent you’d be.”

Nick’s face got red and the veins in his neck were bulging. I remained where I stood, straightening my back and pushing out my chest defiantly. He didn’t scare me; I’d faced my dad many times when he was in this state. I think my persuasive skills that I learned from being spoiled were actually coming in handy.

I pretended to soften now, a longing look on my face. “At you least you have a mom. But I guess if you really want to push away like that…,” I trailed off, shaking my head. I rubbed at one of my eyes like a tear was falling out before turning and walking away dramatically.

“Wait.” He said so quietly I almost didn’t hear him. “I can’t do it alone.”

I turned back around to face him, sniffling and pretending to rub the rest of the tears from my eyes. I walked to him, grabbing his hand and leading him back into the living room, where him mom stood. She was walking around the tree, giving an approving nod as she appraised it.

“Will you ever forgive me?” She asked, heels clacking against the creaky floorboards as she made her way over to us. “I guess I understand if you don’t.” Her fingers went back to nimbly playing with a coat button.

“You’re forgiven.” He told her. Just looking at his profile, his face was still hard as steel. She swallowed, taking the last step forward. She wrapped her thin arms around him, making him tense. He released my hand in favor of wrapping his own arms around his mother. The steely expression melted off his face and he buried his face into her neck, taking a deep breath. She released him and held him at arm’s length.

“You’re so handsome. So much like your father.” She sighed. Her eyes lit up and she let go of him. “How’s Samuel?”

“He’s good, mom.” He chuckled. “Good kid.”

“Is he here? Can I see him?” She wriggled around anxiously, looking past Nick, through the door frame into the kitchen.

“I’ll go get him.” I responded with a smile. A real smile. Moments like this really warmed my heart. I wished I could have moments like this with my dad…

***

“Thanks for today.” Nick smiled crookedly, shoving his hands into his pockets. “I don’t know what would’ve happened if you weren’t here. I almost shut my own mother out of mine and Sam’s life.”

“It was no problem, really.” I assured. “I’m kinda glad you didn’t go with her like she wanted. I would have missed you for my last week here. Not to mention all that stuff you do for Mrs. Higgins. She needs you here.”

“I couldn’t leave home. I know she married some rich guy and she thinks she can provide a better lifestyle for Sam and I, but she wouldn’t really.”

We went to walk back into the kitchen after Nick’s mom left, but I ran into something hard. A person.

“Mistletoe.” Mrs. Higgins smirked, looking pointedly at the foliage above our heads. I groaned, trying to walk past her, but she wouldn’t allow it. “You’re not going anywhere till you give Nicky a kiss.” She commanded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyyy.... cliff hanger! That's because I need to go so I can watch the Grinch with my mommy... so bye (: