Status: In progress

The wild ride called life

Chapter Three

I heard my phone ring while I was in bath. I groaned loudly and leaned over to tub to answer it. I put it on speaker phone and sat it down so I didn’t have to get it any wetter. “Hello?” “Well you don’t sound happy.” Brian stated. I rolled my eyes even though he couldn’t see me and groaned again. “This is the first time I have taken an actual bath in like a year and you had to ruin it for me. Whoever built my house was a single man I have three bathrooms but not a single one of them has a bathtub in it. Stupid, mother fucking, inconsiderate, asshole!” I grumbled to myself more then anyone else. Brian just laughed at me. “Well why did you move there then?” He asked. I sighed loudly. “I had no choice I was barley making it on my own and I needed help so I moved in with my Grandma, so I could give Payton the life she deserves.” He was quiet for a few seconds “What did you do with the money Jimmy would give you?” I chuckled to myself. “You know how stubborn I am I never touched the money no matter how badly I could have used it. It’s put away in a college fund.” It sounded like Brian let out a sigh of relief. “So what did you really call for?” I asked as I grabbed the bar of soap only to have it slip out of my hands and fall into the water. “Did you just drop the phone …” but I cut him off. “No Brian I didn’t drop the phone in the water now what did you call for?” He sighed “You don’t seem to be in a good mood anymore. Anyways do you want take out, fast food, or barbeque?” I rubbed my hand over my face in slight frustration. “I haven’t taken my pain pills today. I’m sorry, and I don’t really care it’s up to you sweetie.” He was quiet for a few seconds. I guess he was thinking. “How about this as long as you don’t cook me anything we’re good.” I said laughing. He gasped “Are you saying I can’t cook?” I blatantly laugh out loud. If he would have been standing in front of me I would have laughed in his face. “Brian for my 20th birthday you and Jimmy said that you would cook me a nice home cooked meal. Do you remember what that consisted of? I do!” I said not giving him time to answer. “It was a gallon pot full of Ramen Noodles and diced up chicken and veggies. You didn’t even cook the chicken before you added it in there. You tried to kill me for my birthday, and then my birthday cake was a fucking Little Debbie's. You lit the candles and let them burn so long before bringing it out to me that the snack cake was covered in wax! So no I don’t want you to cook for me!” I said laughing. He was laughing at the memory too. “Hey it was Jimmy’s idea to throw the chicken in there and we were broke! I’ve learned how to cook since then.” He said defending himself. “I’ll see you in a little bit.” I said laughing as I hung up.

About thirty minutes later I was drying off from the bath when I heard the front door open and then shut. I quickly threw on some clothes, walked downstairs, and into the kitchen. A smile spread upon my face when I saw the Inn and Out Burger bag sitting on the counter. “Oh my God I forgot this place even existed!” I shouted happily. Brian just smiled back at me. “No need to shout I can hear you just fine and I remembered how much you loved the place. You practically lived there when you were pregnant.” He said rubbing my now flat and lifeless belly. I rolled my eyes at him and took the bag walking to the table. “Do you even wanna know what else I bought?” He asked following me. “Nope…” I replied popping a fry into my mouth. “Have you taken your pain pills?” I took a huge bite out of my burger shaking my head no. “Heather Nicole Sullivan!” he said scolding me. “Yes mother?” I replied talking with my mouth full. “Why haven’t you taken your pills?” He demanded taking my burger out of my hands before I could take another bite. “But that is so yummy…” I whined sticking out my bottom lip in protest. I sighed, “Look after Jimmy died I’m afraid to take pills and then to top it off my next boyfriend overdoses on morphine. These are some pretty heavy duty bad boys and I don’t want to die. You should have heard me pleading with the paramedics on the way to the emergency room when they said they were hooking me up to morphine. It went something like … Please don’t put me on morphine! I don’t want to die! My boyfriend died two weeks ago from an overdose on morphine … please, please, please don’t let me die.” Brain was looking at me with sorrow in his eyes. “I didn’t know about your boyfriend. I’m so sorry.” He said as he wrapped his arms around me. “You didn’t know because I was ashamed. I felt like it was my fault. I had broken up with him two weeks prior to him overdosing, so I guess technically he wasn’t my boyfriend. I sent him an email the night that he overdosed and I said some pretty harsh things in it. I don’t know if he read it or not, but I feel guilty none the less. He died twenty-six days before my accident. I’ve come to terms with the fact that every male I care deeply about dies my father, my step brother Jakob, Jimmy, and now Joel.” Brian kissed my head and smiled at me, “Well I’m still here!” “I’d start counting your days if I were you.” I said laughing.

Brian went up stair for a few minutes and came back down with my bottle of pain pills. He read the bottle out loud and then handed me two. I smiled and popped them in my mouth not wanting to argue anymore. I actually was in a lot of pain. I took a couple more bites of my burger, but I really wasn’t hungry anymore. Brian walked over to the TV and turned it on. He walked over to the couch sat down and patted the seat next to him. I sat down next to him without saying anything and laid my head on his shoulder. I was kind of depressed now, I didn’t want to be, but I had no choice. Since my accident I’ve had an on going struggle with depression. I realized how quickly life could be taken away from you, and I was kind of mad that I was still here. Only the good die young right? My brother was killed at 14, my father died at 34, Jimmy died at 28, Joel died at 29, and I’m still here. Brian snapped me out of my daze when he started absentmindedly playing with my hair. I snuggled closer to him and closed my eyes. I was tired, but I was afraid to fall asleep. I kept trying to stifle my yawns. “Heather just go to sleep … I promise that if you stop breathing I will give you CPR. I swear I won’t let anything happen to you. Lie down, put you head or feet in my lap and go to sleep.” Brian said trying not to laugh at me. I picked my head up from his shoulder and studied his face for a second before I listened to him. I laid my head in his lap and closed my eyes as he started playing with my hair again. Within a few minutes I was passed out.

*Val’s POV*

“Come on baby we need to go to Brian’s” I said to Matt as I tried to pull him away from MW3. “Baby just let me die one more time.” He pleaded not wanting to put the controller down. “I’m sure Brian will let you play over there.” I said trying not to laugh. I swear sometimes I think I’m dealing with a kid while he’s playing these games. “No now! If you don’t quit now I’m going to unplug the game and you’re progress won’t be saved.” “Fine…” He said quitting the game and tossing the controller on the couch. “Why are we even going over there?” I just shrugged my shoulders “He wouldn’t say. The only thing he did say is that he has his friend back… Whatever that means.” I said as I climbed into the passenger’s seat of the car. Matt got in the drivers sided and we started the short drive over to Brian’s.

When we arrived at the house we opened the door and walked inside. The only sound in the house was coming from the living room. “Hey man what’s up?” Matt started but was shushed by Brian. Matt and I looked at each other a little confused. We walked over to the couch he was sitting on and my blood began to boil. “You brought me over here to meet my sister’s replacement?!” I practically screeched. The girl on the couch stirred in her sleep and turned around to where I could see her face. “Oh my God! Heather!” I screamed jumping on top of her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment and let me know how you like the story. Thanks!