Work in Progress

Work it with Sparkle

When Monique arrived at work the next morning, the Penguins were already at work for the morning skate. It was about halfway through the season, and with some injuries, Dan Bylsma wanted to make sure that his team was prepared to win no matter who was in the lineup. They had dealt with it before, and they continued to deal with it well this season, as well. Monique enjoyed the morning skate. It was interesting to see all the drills. Watching the shootout drill was even more enjoyable. Her pal from yesterday, Jordan Staal had lost, and he had to grab everyone’s dirty socks and take them to the washing machines.
Monique didn’t have much work to do today aside from watching the humorous practice, but she still had to report in case anyone requested interviews. Of course, a Montreal newspaper wanted an interview with Marc-Andre Fleury, so she had to supervise and make sure that he was not given a hard time. She had a difficult time because the interview was in French and she didn’t understand a word. What would happen if he were misquoted? Would she get in trouble? She knew she would have to ask about situations like this so it wouldn’t happen again. It was a terrifying thought that she was so confused on her third day of work, and she knew she would need to relax tonight.
After practice was over, Jordan Staal found Monique again. His hair was wet, and he smelled like Old Spice, so she figured that he had a chance to shower after handling his teammates’ dirty, sweaty socks.
“Monique!”
“Hey, Jordan. Rough time out there today?”
“Uhhhhh. Yeah. It was.”
“Well at least it was in the middle of the month,” Monique said, referring to the shootouts that decide who will be the mustache boy for an entire month.
“That’s true. So I have some news for you.”
“Yeah?”
“Geno thinks you’re pretty, so I am going to invite him to my house tomorrow night, and I think you should come over, too.”
“Jordan, I really don’t know about that.”
“Why not? You technically don’t work for the Pens, so hanging out with the guys is okay. Come on, for Geno?”
“Okay.”
“Awesome. Here’s my address,” he said as he handed her a sheet of folded up paper. “The party starts at nine.”
* * *
Monique awoke refreshed and ready for the day. The Penguins won their game last night, so she was sure that the party would be a hit. She realized that she didn’t have anything to wear to the party, so she would have to do some shopping in town after work. She was lucky that she only had to do four hours at work for the day, having to report at eleven in the morning. She also requested a meeting with her boss, so she knew she would be leaving a little bit later than three.
The workday went well, and Monique only had to worry about the meeting. She wanted to make sure that she would have the proper knowledge to handle a foreign interview if she had to supervise another one.
“Monique, you requested a meeting, so I am a bit confused…” her boss said in a slightly stern tone.
“Yes, sir. I did.”
“And?”
“Yesterday, I had to supervise an interview, and it was done in French. I just wanted to know what to do if this ever happens again.”
“Learn French or lose your job.”
“I beg your pardon?”
“I am only kidding. We were in a bind yesterday. It won’t happen again. Anything else?”
“No, sir. Thank you very much.”
“Have a good evening, Monique.”
“You too, sir,” she said and then walked out of the office.
It was now time for Monique to go shopping for Jordan’s party. She wanted to look good. She also knew that she worked with the men who would be at this party, so she still wanted to look semi-professional while still looking sexy.
On her budget, she decided that Macy’s was her best option. She walked from the Consol Energy to the downtown Macy’s store. She had to bundle up in her cream-colored pea coat because the winter day in Pittsburgh was a cold one. Her legs were a bit chilly because of her navy skirt, but the tights that she had on kept her warm. When she finally got to Macy’s, she was relieved and warmed.
She found her way to the women’s apparel, and found herself with so many choices. She could do a blouse and a skirt, but she decided that was too work-like, so she wanted to find a classy dress. She wanted something that reminded her of Old Hollywood. She looked through the racks of dresses in search of the perfect one.
She found a dress that had a black top and a silver, sequined skirt. She liked that it had the balance of classy and sexy. She also liked that she could wear it again at nightclubs. It didn’t reveal too much skin, and she knew of some accessories at home that would match. She tried it on, and it fit like a glove. She wanted to buy another pair of black tights to go with it. After locating the tights, Monique paid for her items, and began to walk home.
* * *
Five minutes after nine, Monique arrived at the home of Jordan Staal. She rang the doorbell, and he ushered her in the house. He took her coat, and led her to the living room. She saw Evgeni Malkin sitting on the couch and drinking something. He looked up and saw her.
“Monique! You look good.”
“Thanks, Geno.”
“Come sit,” he said as he tapped the cushion beside him.
She walked over to the couch, and sat down. She adjusted the skirt on her dress so not too much leg would show when she felt Geno get closer to her face.
He whispered into her ear, “You look sexy.”