Sequel: For All I Know
Status: completed!!! sequel on the way...

The Middle

chapter 7

My jaw dropped when I saw Pat sitting on Ryan’s bed.

“How the heck did you get here before us?”

He just looked at me and smiled. He then stood up.

“I have my ways. I just wanted to be extra sure you two got back here okay. Oh, and just so you know, you’re late. You were supposed to be here, uhmm 10 minutes ago.”

I scoffed.

“Well, we were here, but we were in the parking lot.”

“Oh, I know. I walked right past your car when Ryan reached over to hug you.”

I looked over at Ryan. He was all tucked in his bed. He didn’t even take the time to change into his pajamas. I walked over and gave him a kiss on the forehead. I looked back to Pat.

“Well, I guess I’ll head to bed too.”

He looked at me with a look of mock-sadness.

“You mean, you’re kicking me out?”

I lightly pushed him in the shoulder while quietly laughing.

“Yes, I’m kicking you out. I need to change into my pajamas then go to sleep. You can come back tomorrow.”

I walked around Pat and grabbed my bag from the chair. Wait a minute, I thought. Why is this on the chair? I looked over to my bed, only to find it was no longer there.

“You see, it’s a good thing I’m here. Nat told me that you’re no longer allowed to stay here.”

I turned around and noticed that Pat was still there.

“Oh, so you just assume I’m going to your place?”

Pat walked up to me.

“Well, it wasn’t my first assumption, but seeing as it is pretty late, it just seems reasonable.”

I pondered on the thought.

“Look, Claire, we’ve gone down this road before and we survived. Nothing’s going to happen. We’re both way too tired anyways, let’s go.”

I sighed, giving in, grabbed my bag and followed Pat out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Pat and I arrived at his place, I could feel myself becoming more and more awake. After I changed into my pajamas, I sat on the couch looking for the remote.

“You know, I’m not that tired. I think I’m just going to stay up and watch tv.”

Pat nodded.

“Okay, I’ll just get changed and we’ll do that. Find something to watch.”

I looked behind me and called out to Pat.

“You don’t have to stay up with me. I’m just suddenly feeling not-so-tired. You, however, need your sleep. Don’t stay up just for me.”

Pat shook his head.

“No, it’s no big deal. I’ve got something to ask you, anyways.”

I nodded my head then turned to face the tv again. I looked at the clock, it read 12:30 am. I knew that Pat had to get to sleep. I’m sure he had an early morning skate or something to do. I didn’t want him to stay awake just to keep me company. I searched through the many channels that Pat had on his satellite and finally found an old re-run of FRIENDS. I didn’t notice that Pat had come out of his room until I heard him chuckle from behind me. I turned my head and my gaze followed him as he sat down beside me. Curiosity was eating away at me.

“So, what do you have to ask me?”

Pat chuckled.

“Geez, you cut right to the chase, don’t you? Can’t we just sit and relax for a couple minutes. I’m not sure how you’re going to react to this.”

Now I could feel myself getting a little nervous as to what he was going to ask me. I needed to know this question that could possibly make me uncomfortable.

“No, Pat. Not after you tell me that it might make me uncomfortable. You can’t do that to someone. Please, just ask me.”

He sighed. Clearly this was taking a toll on him.

“I don’t know exactly how to ask you this. If you say no, I completely understand. There’s this annual charity gala coming up. I don’t want to go alone, usually around this time of year, I usually have a few girls to choose from that I can ask to come with me. Since you’re the only girl I’ve seen in the last little while, I was wondering if you wanted to go with me.”

He looked at me with curiosity playing in his eyes.

“Well, I’m going to be honest. I’m not really sure how to respond to that. I mean, I feel as though I should apologize to you for not having more girls to choose from, but at the same time, I’m flattered that you would want to ask me. I’m on the fence with you Pat…”

His sigh cut me off.

“Again? I thought I proved to you that I wasn’t going anywhere. Ryan still has yet to be disappointed when it comes to me.”

“It has nothing to do with Ryan. You’re great with him. Honestly, tonight at the arena, when you were telling him it was time to leave; that was one of the more adorable things I have even seen.”

He smiled.

“Okay, so what are you on the fence about then? I like you, Claire. I think I’ve expressed that on many occasions.”

I nodded.

“Yes, you have, subtly. But my brother notices everything.”

We both chuckled. Pat looked at me and grabbed both my hands. I was still thinking about the gala. All of a sudden, something clicked in my head and I started to laugh out loud; Pat raised an eyebrow at me.

“What’s so funny?”

“I’m sorry. But I just realized that was your way of asking me on a date. I’m sorry I’m laughing, but if I didn’t already know you, Pat. There’s no way I would ever say yes. You don’t tell a girl that you’re usually a man-whore this time a year, but because of her, she’s your only choice.”

He looked down to the ground and mumbled.

“I didn’t mean it that way. I’m sorry.”

I put my hand on his knee.

“Look, I told you. It’s fine. I know you didn’t mean it like that. I’m the one who should be saying sorry. I wish you would’ve had other girls to ask. Maybe they could give you a definite yes, instead of my penciled-in one.”

His eyes widened.

“So, are you saying yes?”

I cocked my head to the side.

“It depends. On when it is, and how Ryan is. I don’t want to leave him if he’s not well.”

Pat nodded.

“I understand.”

I chuckled to myself once more.

“Oh Lord, Claire, what now?”

“Sorry, I didn’t finish that properly. Yes, Patrick Kane, hockey superstar sensation, I’d love to go on a date with you.”

He smirked at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
OKay here's number 7!! =) i'm on a creative binge right now.. i have a lot written out for this story, but I'm really interested in hearing more feedback on it. I'll post number 8 when I reach 10 comments =)