‹ Prequel: Dangerous Light
Sequel: My Somebody
Status: complete. be sure to subscribe to the sequel.

A Ship in Harbor is Safe

twenty-one

“Athena,” Walter stands in the threshold of the bedroom and hallway, watching his daughter walk from her dresser to her bed, with an armful of folded clothes, “what the hell is in Pittsburgh?”

She shakes her head, “nothing is in Pittsburgh yet, Dad.”

“Okay, what’s gonna be in Pittsburgh? Why the hell are you running there?”

Cringing at her father’s choice of words, Athena keeps her back to him. “I’m going because this is what I want.”

“You’re packing like you’re moving there, or something. This isn’t a permanent thing, or anything, is it?”

Athena shrugs, “I don’t think so, but I’m gonna be there for a while.”

“You don’t think so? And how long is a while?!”

Tyson slowly picks his head up off of the pillows covering the top of the bed, looking toward his owner with a furrowed brow.

“I don’t know, Dad. And a while… probably until the end of hockey season, I don’t know.”

After a moment, Walt’s voice makes Tyson jump slightly, “what the fuck, Athena?! You’ve got no idea how long you’re gonna be there! This is by far the most irresponsible thing you’ve done in a long time!”

Blinking, Athena takes a deep breath before turning to face her father. “Dad, it’s not irresponsible.”

“Who the hell are you going to see, anyway? I know it’s not Jordan, because you aren’t even speaking to him right now!”

Athena shakes her head, “how do you know that Jordan and I aren’t talking?”

“Who are you going to stay with?”

“Have you talked to Jordan since I left?”

“Tell me who you’re going to stay with.”

Athena crosses her arms, “you’re just gonna tell Jordan, and that’s not what I want.”

“Somebody has got you crazy enough to move all the way to Pittsburgh and I deserve to know who it is.”

Licking her lips, Athena looks down at her feet. “His name is Sidney.”

“Who?” Walt still looks bewildered, shaking his head and looking at his daughter as if her neck is sprouting another head.

“Sidney.” Athena speaks with more confidence this time. “His name is Sidney Crosby.”

Walt frowns, “this isn’t the time to joke, Athena.”

“I’m not joking, Dad,” she smiles. “I’m going to Pittsburgh with Sid.”

Walt shakes his head, “what’s Jordan think about this?”

Athena shrugs, “we’ll see when he finds out, I guess.”

“Don’t go stirrin’ up shit all over their team, Athena.”

She shrugs, “Dad, I’m not stirring up anything. Jordan knew of my thing for Sid in Vegas, so if he decides to act up… it’s at his own discretion.”

A heavy silence lingers over the entire room. Athena’s feet on the hardwood floor and Tyson’s nasally breathing are the only noises.

“Have you decided when you’re leaving, or are you flying by the seat of your pants with that decision, too?”

Athena doesn’t even look up from stuffing her suitcase, “well, I’ve been home for about a week. So, I’ve got another two weeks before my flight.”

“And here you are, packing everything you own.”

“I’m just packing the stuff I don’t need between now and then, Dad. Relax.”

Another moment of silence passes before Walt speaks again, “I’m not comfortable with this, Athena.”

“Why not?” She stops working, turning back toward her father.

He shrugs, “I don’t know this kid. I’ve never met him.”

“Would meeting him make you feel more comfortable?” Athena asks quietly, eyeing her father carefully.

Walt grimaces, “I don’t know if I wanna meet him.”

“Yes or no.” Athena shrugs, slowly picking up her week-old cell phone up off of her nightstand.

Walt crosses his arms, “I don’t know if it’ll make me more comfortable or not.”

“I think it’ll be reassuring for you,” Athena smirks. “I’ll give him a call.”

Shaking his head, Walt turns to leave.

“Hey, Dad!” Athena bites her lip, watching her father turn back toward her with an annoyed expression playing his features. “I think you’ll approve of Sid… he’s a good guy.”

Not saying anything, Walt nods and continues to walk away.

Athena turns and smiles at Tyson, “you’re gonna love him, Ty.”

With a sharp exhale, the Rottweiler lies his heavy head back down on Athena’s pillows.

Image


“Have you even thought about everything that could go wrong with this?” Sidney laughs.

Athena scoffs, “what could go wrong?”

“Well, you do live in the same town as Jordan.”

“He’s gonna find out eventually, Sid.”

Sidney makes a noise, as if he wants to say something but quickly decides against it.

“Just for a couple days?” Athena rocks back and forth on her feet. “Please?”

Sidney sighs, “when do you want me out there?”

“You’re actually doing it?” Athena smiles, as she attempts to contain her excitement.

“Yeah,” he laughs, “why wouldn’t I?”

“Because you don’t wanna see Jordan and start drama with him, but you’re actually coming out here. I’m so excited.”

“I am, too.” Sidney laughs, “I can’t wait to see you.”

Running a hand through her hair, Athena nods, “I can’t wait to see you, either.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'd love to hear what you think -- good, bad, and indifferent, I accept all opinions. So, please, don't be shy. :)

xoxo