Sequel: We Found Love
Status: Complete

She Makes Me Wanna

Chapter Fourteen-Good Friends Always Know What to Say

“So she’s going to dinner with Jack?” Flower asked. I nodded darkly.

“Yep,” I sighed.

“Dude…that kid has nothing on you man,” Flower said, punching me in the arm.

“Except for Emily,” I said. Flower shook his head and laughed quietly.

“It is one dinner. It is not an engagement party,” Flower said, and I groaned.

“Don’t even say engagement party. I don’t know what the hell I’m doing with my life Flower,” I whined, and Flower laughed.

“That much is obvious mon ami,” Flower retorted.

“You’re the master of suave, what do I do?” I asked, and Flower snorted.

“The master of suave? No. I just met the right girl at the right time. Believe me, I fucked up bad. I fuck up bad and a lot of times too. But Vero…Vero knows I love her. When I fuck up, she just yells at me and makes me sleep on the couch for like…twenty minutes. Can’t live with me, can’t live without me she says,” Flower said, a dorky grin forming on his face.

“You two are so gross,” I laughed, smacking him with a pillow.

“Fuck you Sidney,” Flower said, hitting me back.

“So what do I do?” I asked.

“You ‘ave two options. One; get over her. Two; go after her and don’t stop until you get her,” Flower said, and I groaned again.

“Neither of those sounds like much fun dude,” I said.

“It’s not supposed to be fun Sid. Girls are crazy. They make no sense. Especially Emily. She lives in a man’s world, she plays by men’s rules, but she’s still a girl. Half the time, I don’t think she really notices how much of a girl she is. She’s gorgeous, she’s funny, and she’s enough to drive any man-except me, Vero would kick my ass-crazy. Emily is like a two headed cobra to a guy like you Sid. She’s an athlete, and a damned good one, and she’ll do whatever it takes to win. You like that. You want competition. You want skill. You want someone who understands your passion for the game and won’t try and take you away from it. And she’s also unbelievably and undeniably feminine. I think the fact that she is in a man’s world makes it even more obvious. Two heads and both bit you. So either find the antidote to that poison, or let it take you over,” Flower said. I raised my eyebrows.

“You been spending much time with Bryzgalov lately?” I asked. Flower laughed.

“No, but he is brilliant!” Flower chuckled.

“Okay, so you’re saying that I have to either move on or get with her, right? But isn’t that really kind of not my choice? I mean, if she likes him I’ve only got one option,” I said.

“True,” Flower shrugged.

“You know what? Fuck it. I’ll just wait and see what happens. Xbox?” I asked, and Flower laughed again.

“Sidney, you are dumb as hell,” Flower said before grabbing one of the controllers sitting on the coffee table.

Emily’s Point of View

Pittsburgh rolled by the window of Jack’s car as I stared out, and It Will Rain by Bruno Mars played softly in the background.

“Sidney looked like he wanted to hit me when he opened the door,” Jack said after a few minutes of silence. I raised my eyebrows.

“Why do you say that?” I asked.

“It’s just a guy’s intuition speaking. Emily, he wants you,” Jack said, and I snorted.

“Yeah right. Sidney Crosby want me? Come on Jack, you and I both know that if he goes for anyone it would be one of those delicate cutesy types. Not a burly, hockey playing she-he like me,” I retorted.

“Emily, I may be gay but I sure as hell know how to looks when a man sees something he wants. And he definitely wants you,” Jack said as we pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant.

“Jack, you’re crazy. He’s the captain, there’s no way he’d be interested in me…wouldn’t it be like, breaking some rules or something?” I asked.

“Last I checked there is no rule in the rule book against players dating each other,” Jack said.

“But that would probably never happen,” I said.

“Yeah, you’re telling me,” Jack said sourly.

“Sorry…Jesus, it really sucks being around so many eligible, attractive guys when you can’t touch them because they’re your teammates. It’s such a mental struggle,” I muttered.

“Yeah, but unlike you, my teammates would be disgusted and I would probably get traded if I pursued them,” Jack sighed. I patted his arm reassuringly.

“You and I both know that the guys on our team are cooler than that. Come on, let’s go eat,” I said.

When I returned home a few hours later, Sidney was sprawled out on the couch playing Xbox. He looked pissed, and I couldn’t help but think about what Jack had said earlier.

“Hey Sid,” I said, hanging my jacket up in the closet.

“How was your date?” he asked. I stared at him for a moment before bursting into laughter.

“Date? Holy shit, no!” I cried when I could finally stop laughing.

“That’s the way it looked,” Sidney said, a dark look on his face. I froze and composed myself before walking over and sitting down next to him.

“No…no. Jack and I are just really good friends. We have a lot in common, but believe me when I say that there is no attraction there beyond friendship. He’s like my brother,” I explained, although I was a bit confused as to why it mattered to Sidney.

“Oh…okay then. I just…I was worried. I know how hockey players are,” he said quickly.

“Um…hello? I am a hockey player you ding dong,” I said, shaking my head and standing up.

“I know, but you’re not a guy,” Sidney said. I smiled.

“No, I’m not,” I laughed before heading upstairs to get change.

Sidney’s Point of View

As soon as Emily went upstairs I pulled out my phone.

SHE DOESN’T LIKE HIM! THEY’RE JUST FRIENDS! I texted Flower, a broad grin spreading across my face.

New Message from: Flower

I told you so. Now go get her!