Life as a Cold One

Chapter Four: Reunion

Three months in Forks, Washington went by quickly. Carlisle had continued taking medical classes at the local facility, starting off were he left in Italy. Katherine found it fascinating that he was not fazed by working with human blood, the control he had over his will was unlike other vampires he had told her about. She stayed at home, yes home, studying the piano, decorating and doing whatever she wished. It did get lonely when Carlisle wasn’t around, eight hours a day Katherine was by herself.

One day it was raining hard and she decided that it was the perfect time for some music; she played the wooden piano that Carlisle bought her as a gift when he bought the house. Saving money for two hundred years really did pay off for him when it was time to settle down and for one thing Katherine was glad that he did it all.

Soft music was coming from the den when he arrived home; he smiled and silently crossed the house to her. She felt him come into the room and smiled as he sat beside her and played along, “How was school,” she asked.

“Good, I could hear you playing earlier, is something on your mind,” he asked her.

She smiled, “I often forget that you can hear me from far away, if you are listening, but nothing just missing you as always when you are gone.”

He laid a kiss upon her cheek, he knew she was lonely by herself, but he couldn’t just turn a friend for her, that would be killing for the wrong reason. She looked up at him and smiled. “Your eyes, they have changed from Crimson to Amber,” he told her.

It was late that night or early in the morning when the thunder, lightning and the rain pounded against the house. A single candle was lit, lighting one side of the room where Katherine laid with Carlisle on the sofa. Their eyes were closed, but they couldn’t sleep, something that Katherine missed greatly. Carlisle shot up, like an animal would if there was a predator around, “What is that,” Katherine asked, also hearing the footsteps coming from the woods; she could tell they weren’t human.

Carlisle crossed the house, Katherine followed closely behind him. He stopped in his tracks and turned to Katherine, “It’s Edward!”

She could tell that worry had crossed his face, he didn’t know if this was a good thing or a bad thing, but she’d better get ready because he was at the door, “CARLISLE!”

He rushed to the door and opened it. The man who looked about seventeen years old walked in. He started apologizing to Carlisle from the start, “I’m sorry, I didn’t know what I was thinking!”

Carlisle sat him down, “Edward, don’t worry, it’s all just fine, by the way this is Katherine Williams, my mate, and I saved her from a robbery shooting in Italy. Katherine this is Edward Cullen, be aware he can read thoughts.”

Katherine looked over at Edward; he was six foot tall, pale vampire skin and dark wavy hair. She sped toward him, quicker than he could see, “Your eyes, you have human blood in your system,” she said lightly examining the dark red.

Carlisle held her shoulder, “Katherine, I’m sure he didn’t kill the innocent, no need to be afraid.”

“I’m not a-“

Edward cut in, “She’s not scared of me; she just doesn’t like me hurting any humans.”

“I could have said that,” she said eying him but then she laughed, he was Carlisle’s friend so, it was only good for her to try and be friends with him.

“I killed the men that hurt women, raped them and took them for granted, all the ones that I killed were on the most wanted list,” Edward explained.

“That was very clever of you Edward, now are you here to stay with us, you know you are always welcomed back,” Carlisle asked with hope in his voice.

Edward smiled, “Yes, I am.”

Some things changed since Edward came back, Katherine wasn’t as lonely as she had been when Carlisle was at school, he taught her more about the piano and they went into the town together exploring. When her love returned from school she would cuddle up to him, but one night she noticed his eyes, “Honey, you need to feed, we all do.”

He kissed her pulling her to him, “I love the way you look after me.”

Edward came into the room, “So are we going?”

“Yes,” Katherine said, but then she thought, ‘No Humans though!’[\I]

Edward laughed, “I heard that, don’t worry I’ll only be feeding with you two.”

Carlisle grabbed her hand, “Well let’s hurry.”
♠ ♠ ♠
NEXT CHAPTER ONE WORD: SHAPE-SHIFTERS!
Image