‹ Prequel: Memory Lapse

Better Than Revenge

Natural

For the first time in my life I didn’t want to go to cheer practice. I had so much to do at home with training and the problem with Alec and my homework was starting to pile up on me. My attention was only half on what was going on and the other half was back in math, talking to Alec.
Hey, what’s with you? Nessie projected with her vampire ability.
I shook my head easily and walked over to my stunt group to avoid telling her that I was thinking about the stalker vampire. The next forty minutes were spent tossing me in the air while Renesmee was on the other side of the gymnasium getting thrown as well. By the time we were both safely on the ground, my distracted mood was out of her head.
After cheer we went once again to the Cullen mansion. I was still getting my butt handed to me but at least now they were letting me shift. Dad was there helping with the instructions and giving me pointers. I clawed at the vampires but it seemed that I was barely even leaving a mark and I didn’t actually want to hurt anyone.
*So how the hell does this stuff help if he tortures me through my mind?* I asked suddenly.
“Well get to that part later. For now you just need to know how to actually defeat one of our kind,” Edward answered. “It wouldn’t help to be in a fight against Alec and not know what you’re doing.”
*Well obviously this isn’t working!*
*Relax, Drea. You’re thinking too much. Let it come more natural.*
I wasn’t sure how much I liked having my dad in my head but he was right. I knew the stories of my heritage and I knew that the skills to kill a vampire were engrained in my blood. I just needed to access that part of myself. I thought about Dylan and Nessie and Leah and Tony and especially my mom and how much the current vampire problem was affecting the people in my life. I had to find a way to control this problem. I was Alpha, dammit!
I growled, a deep sound that grew in my chest. I lunged at Tony who was the closest. My sharp claws raked across his chest. Edward tackled me before I could do any more damage and I felt one of my ribs crack. I ignored the flash of pain and bit down hard on his granite shoulder. He let out a yelp of surprise and I couldn’t help the wave of smug satisfaction that I got from it.
“Okay, I think you’re starting to get the hang of it, Andrea,” Edward said as he straightened the remains of his tattered shirt. “I couldn’t even read the attack before it came.”
I wiggled into a giant T-shirt lying in the grass for me and shifted back. My cracked rib ached and I knew it was going to be bruised. It definitely hurt more as a human and I kept my hand on it to stifle the pain. “I didn’t really know I was going to do that, to be honest. I wasn’t really thinking about it.”
“That’s good and bad,” my dad said as he too phased back. “You’re letting instinct take over but you still have to have some sort of strategy.”
I nodded once. “Strategy. Got it. Can I go now? Dylan finally phased back and he wanted me to go over there.”
“Sure,” Tony answered. He pulled the remains of his shirt off and I could see the angry cracks on his skin that were already starting to heal. “I agree that you’re getting better. You can be done for the day.”
“What about me?” Renesmee whined. “Can’t I go too?”
I shook my head. “I don’t think that’s such a good idea at the moment. We don’t really want Dylan shifting back to a wolf right now so we’ll just see you at school tomorrow. ‘Kay?”
I drove over to the Uleys’ house and found Dylan sitting on the porch. “Hey. You’re here.”
I smiled. “Did you doubt me? I’m glad you were able to change back. That was actually quicker than I thought.”
“Really? It took forever. I honestly thought it would be easy but I was way wrong.”
“None of this is ever easy. It’s all complicated but you’ll get the hang of it soon enough. Now, phase into a wolf.”
“What?” His shocked face was totally priceless.
“I said change. Controlling the wolf is like working a muscle. The more you work it, the better it is. If you can’t phase on command then you’re still sort of a danger. Now phase.”
He sighed but of course he knew that I was right. “Fine. Let’s try this.”
I laughed. “Good ‘cause I can’t cover for you at school forever. Now, just relax. Feel the heat surging through you? Let it take over. The wolf wants to come out. You just have to guide it. You can do it. I have faith in you.”
There was a rip as Dylan’s clothes tore to pieces and he stood there as tall as me in his wolf skin. I smiled proudly. “Nice. Think you could change back? I can turn around if you want.”
His heavy head nodded and I quickly turned my back on him. I know that being in a pack together meant that nudity was expected but Dylan was like my brother and I definitely wasn’t comfortable enough to stretch the boundaries of our friendship. It was different with Leah but I was only 16 and I was going to avoid the awkwardness of seeing naked guy parts as long as I could.
“Okay, I’ve got shorts on. You can turn around now.”
Dylan was shirtless and for a second I forgot who I was talking to. Seriously, Quileute boys were some of the hottest I knew. And the whole wolf thing made Dylan even better looking. I was sort of surprised that he didn’t have a girlfriend yet.
“Drea? You there? You’re zoning out.”
I shook my head quickly and felt the color stain my face and neck. “Right, sorry. I just got lost in thought for a sec. Anyway, you’re doing really well. You’re a natural at this- nearly as good as me. If you think you’re up for it, you should be able to get back to school and stuff tomorrow. Just don’t push yourself too far.”
“Kay then. I’ll see you before class in the morning. I’m actually looking forward to getting back in the swing of things. You have no idea how motherly my mom’s been acting.”
I laughed and turned to head home. It really was going to be nice to have Dylan back.