‹ Prequel: Memory Lapse

Better Than Revenge

New Deal

I could hear the argument from inside the house before I even had a chance to cut the engine. “I don’t like that they will be at that school alone. Maybe they should transfer to Forks and we can all be with them.”
I heard my dad let out a booming laugh. “Sorry, Bells, but I doubt that’ll work. You all were just at Forks High a few years ago and I’m sure that someone’ll remember you.”
“What about the high school in La Push?”
“No!” Nessie said a little too quickly. “I mean, that’s really not necessary, Dad. Besides, I’m the only one allowed on Quileute land. You can’t go against your own treaty now, can you?”
“The Alpha of the pack can always change that,” I heard my mother respond smugly and I knew that she’d have her signature smirk plastered on her mouth.
“Talking about me?” I asked breezily as I walked into the room.
“Finally,” Mom gushed pulling me into a tight huge. “I was getting worried about you. What took so long?”
“It’s fine. I was just at the Uley’s talking to Dylan. He phased, you know.”
“We’ve heard. How is he?”
I shrugged. “A little freaked, at first. Now I think that he’s better but he still wasn’t able to phase back. I’m going to go over there again after we’re done here.”
“Let me fix you something to eat, Andrea. You must be starved,” Esme said before anyone could start on the important stuff. Esme was Carlisle wife. She had long dark hair and a heart shaped face. She was about as tall as my aunt Bella, which wasn’t actually very tall, and was probably the nicest person that you could ever meet.
“Hello? Can we get back on topic please?” Rosalie snapped when Esme handed me a turkey sandwich. “Alec is here in Washington which means that Jane probably is too. Am I the only one that remembers that she still wants Lizzy’s head on a platter?”
Mom shook her head. “Chill, Rose. Let the bitch try and mess with me. She doesn’t scare me.”
“Yes she does,” Alice said softly. She’d been so quiet sitting on the stairs that I hadn’t even seen her. She was rubbing her forehead like she was trying to ward off a bad headache. “I keep catching glimpses but everything’s so fuzzy that I can’t really make any of it out. But I can see that she knows your greatest weakness and she’s going to use it against you. There are worse things than simply dying.”
My mom’s terrified eyes flickered to my face for a brief second. “Okay,” she choked. She coughed to clear her throat. Mom hated showing any kind of weakness. “Okay, you’re right. So how do we keep that from happening?”
I sighed. Nessie and I couldn’t really take on a full vamp on our own and Dylan wasn’t exactly going to be very much help for a little while. “Renesmee,” I started.
Her eyes grew huge. She knew what was coming. She quickly grabbed my hand and I wasn’t in the living room anymore. We were at First Beach alone up on the cliff where we usually went cliff diving as the waves crashed far below us. “No, no, no. I don’t want to go to school with my parents. Please, Drea. I cannot get stuck in any classes with her.” It really was no secret that Nessie and Bella’s relationship had been a little tense lately.
I shook my head. Nessie had the ability to plant thoughts in a persons’ head but I couldn’t actually respond back in the vision she was giving me. Everyone would see me shaking my head at her but if her dad was listening then only Edward and Ness would know why.
“Ugh, fine.” She threw my arm away from her as if she’d been stunned.
“I didn’t make the treaty but I can change it. Right, Dad?”
He nodded. “You’re the Alpha now,” he answered simply.
“Here’s the deal then. One of you will be able to come onto our land and enroll in school with us.”
“One? Why only one?” Emmett complained.
“If a vampire’s presence triggers the shifter gene then I think that we should limit the number of you in La Push. Dylan’s the only one that is old enough to control it and I don’t want any younger wolves turning before they have to. Two full vampires and one half at the high school are more than enough. So who’s it going to be?” I knew them and I knew that none of them would want to leave their mates for whole days to go back to high school.
“I will,” Rose said suddenly, shocking everyone. Out of all of them, Rosalie was the least likely in my mind to take up that offer. “I’ll go to the school and be a student again. I’ll watch out for you girls.”
“Oh, okay,” I replied stupidly. “I guess we’ll see you at school.”
Carlisle motioned for Nessie and me to follow him and our other teachers out to the backyard for another training session. “Oh, and Carlisle? I think that it’s only fair that you get free reign of La Push, too. I know that you can’t work at the Forks hospital but that doesn’t mean that you can’t work at all.”
He smiled gently at me and tweaked my nose. “Thank you, Andrea. I may have to take you up on that offer.”
He passed by me and soon my father came beside me and pulled me against him. “I’m proud of you, Drea. You’re turning into a great Alpha. Maybe even better than me.”
“What did I do?”
He grinned at me. “You and I both know that you’d never declare war against them if they all went onto our land but you made them call that bluff. I know that you didn’t want to be babysat by them and that’s the real reason that you said only one.”
I smiled impishly. My dad knew me so well.
♠ ♠ ♠
myeh. not my fave ut it's kinda important. anyway, please comment!! i really want opinions. should i even bother continuing it?