It's Hard to Say Goodbye When You Know That It's Over.

Chapter Three

I was driving to Sarah's house to talk to her father about dating her. I was a large bundle of nerves at that moment I slowly pulled up to her house seeing Sarah sitting outside in the grass waiting. I got out and walked over to hug her. She got up with a small smile on her lips.
“Hey.” she said her arms hugging my tightly around my torso. I wrapped my arms around her waist smiling.
“Hi.” I said quietly. She smiled and pulled away.
“Come on.” She said taking my hand pulling me into the house. I fallowed her questions rushing through my head I looked up at her dad. He didn't look that much older than me I thought looking at her.
“You must be George.” Her Dad said holding out his hand. I took it in my grasp with a smile. Her mother was sitting on the couch I could see the glossy scars on her throat and bit my lip making sure not to stare. Sarah took a seat next to her mother with a small smile.
“I'm Andrew, this is my wife Delilah.” He said sitting next to the woman with the scars.
“Nice to meet you.” I said sitting next to Sarah biting my lip.
“So what brings you here?” Her father asked getting to the point. My words got caught in my throat.
“I um... I was wondering if um... If I could have permission to date your daughter.” I said my words getting tangled and messed up.
“Why don't you and Sarah go get us something to drink.” He told his wife and daughter with a small smile. I looked around the living room nervously looking up at the ceiling.
“You seem like a nice guy George, but I'm not sure.” Her dad said leaning forward hushing his voice.
“I understand,” I told him sighing, “but if you would allow me I promise I wouldn't hurt her.”
He sighed rubbing the back of his neck looking like he was almost in tears.
“I trust you.” He said waiting a moment before continuing he ran a hand through his hair. “Its just... George... Sarah has lung cancer.” he told me a heaviness in his voice that I could only gauge as sadness.
I took a deep shaky breath. Lung cancer. The words kept repeating in my mind. I was quiet for a minuet or two. “I don't care.” I told him. “I have feelings for her that I can't explain.” I told him looking straight in his eyes hoping it would change his mind. Andrew looked at my face studying it and gave a long sigh.
“Look kid, I don't want you getting hurt.” He told me looking at the kitchen making sure he wasn't heard. “The doctors give her about two years.” That's what shocked me. Sarah looked so healthy and beautiful it scared me to think about losing her.
“I understand what I'm getting into sir.” I told him my voice on the verge of urgency. “Please.” I begged looking at him. Andrew slowly nodded his head.
“I see no problem with it then.” he told me “It'd do her good.” he said smiling. I broke into a smile looking up at the beautiful girl walking into the room.
“Delilah, I think we'll be seeing more of George around.” He told his wife. I grinned hugging Sarah tightly laying my chin on top of her head. Sarah's arms wrapped around me again I could feel the smile against the thin material of my shirt. I kissed the top of her head smiling.
“Wanna hang out?” Sarah asked smiling.
“Her curfew is still ten o' clock.” her dad intervened. I nodded to Sarah grinning.
“Yes sir.” I said . Sarah smiled at me.
“I gotta grab a jacket. Wanna come with me?” Sarah asked with a small smile. I nodded taking her hand letting the girl lead her up the stairs with a smile. She took me to a room at the end of the hall and I couldn't help but look around my fingers brushing a composition notebook called 'Sarah's Bucket List' I bit my lip just letting it lay there. I looked at the walls and smiled. Sarah slid the jacket on and walked over to me.
“Got it.” she said taking my hand. We walked down the stairs together out of the house and to my car, we both got in and I drove smiling holding her hand.
“So did my dad tell you about me?” she asked holding my hand.
“Yes,” I said holding her hand squeezing it gently. “Why didn't you tell me?” I asked watching her.
“I didn't want to scare you away.” she said quietly looking down at her lap. I reached up with my free hand tucking a few stray hairs behind her ear.
“Never think you'll scare me away Sarah.” I told her in a gentle voice looking in her eyes. She nodded lightly blushing I smiled kissing her forehead and began walking with her. She leaned into me so I put my arm around her.
“Any where specific we're headin'?” She asked. I smiled not saying a word walking to the pier. I glanced at her as she grinned and started looking around. I smiled and lifted her up on to my back holding her legs up leaning my body on the railing at the end of the pier. I heard her squeak as her arms wrapped around my neck gently.
“It's beautiful.” she said. I smiled holding her up not replying. I felt her body shift as she placed a small kiss at my head. I looked up smiling.
“You're beautiful.” I told her. I grinned as she blushed and she tried hugging me, I got the clue and set her down wrapping my arms around her tightly. She hugged back gently smiling up at me her hair falling back in her face again. I smiled gently as I pushed the hair back she blushed putting her hand on top of mine. I smiled bigger kissing her head gently. She leaned her head on my chest.
“I saw your bucket list notebook.” I told her quietly. “I want to help you with it.” She looked up at me.
“Some of the stuff in there is really stupid.” she told me a slight red tinge to her cheeks. “You sure?” she asked. I nodded kissing her head, she hugged me smiling gently.
“Well we could start with one...” she trailed. I held her in my arms smiling.
“Could we go on the Ferris wheel?” she asked looking up at me. I nodded and lifted her up, she shifted to my back laying her head on my shoulder. I smiled making my way to the line holding her on my back and I walked forward person after person till we got into the small cart together. The worker pushed the safety bar down over our laps. She smiled gently and I took her hand as we moved up.
“Going up.” I whispered gently in her ear. I could see her cheeks turn pink as she squeezed my hand gently. I grinned looking at her she smiled back gently. I turned my head looking out at the ocean. The Ferris Wheel came to a stop when we reached the top.
“Wow.” I heard her mumble. I smiled and put my hand under her chin tilting her head up looking in her eyes.
“Can I kiss you?” I asked her quietly, looking in her eyes. She nodded blushing.
“yes.” she said whispering quietly. I leaned forward cupping her face gently pressing my lips against hers. I felt her smile in the kiss before she slowly returned the kiss to me.