Sugar, Sugar

Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Everyone was getting the house and guest house and the backyard ready for the big Masqurade Ball. Costumes were a must, but masks weren’t. I had to be able to see my prince. Of course, in fitting with everything that was happening I decided to go as a princess. I was going to go as that anyway because Eudroa finished my dress a month ago. It was the first princess dress she had made for me since I was eight or so, but it still looked just as fabulous. My daddy found the perfect tiara in this small shop in the French Quarter and surprised me with it just last week.

I looked over myself in the mirror before I heard a knock on the door and Tia entered. She was dressed in a Renaissance outfit.

“Oh, Lottie, you look great,” she said smiling.

“Thank you. Do you want to borrow one of my dresses?” I asked circling her.

“No, I’m working tonight and I don’t want to ruin your clothes,” she said.

“Of course. Well you better hop to it, guests, which means the Prince, will be arriving soon!” I exclaimed and pushed her towards the stairs. Now that I think about, that saying ‘hop to it’ is now ironic idn’t it? Ha.

The ball was up and swinging, everyone was eating beignets and dancing….EXCEPT ME! That stupid Prince still hadn’t arrived and it was really late. The longer he took the more times I had to deal with Travis trying to get me to dance with him. He was one of those ugly types, and annoying. He would not leave me alone. Clearly he can’t take rejection.

I was so nervous the Prince was not going to come. I was so excited all day and now I was just getting bummed. And that dress was hot. I was sweating like crazy. Once there was a gap in people at the beignet station I went over and grabbed a stack of napkins to soak up all my sweat. I can’t dance with the prince covered in sweat could I?

“Give me those napkins quick!” I said and hid a bit while I shoved them under my armpits and ran one across my forehead.

“What on earth for?” asked Tiana.

“I swear I’m sweating like a sinner in church,” I said before coming out of my hiding spot, “Oh Tia, it’s getting to be so late!”

“There’s still a few stragglers,” she said trying to reassure me. Isn’t she the bestest friend?

“It’s just not fair! My Prince is never coming,” I said upset and crossing my arms.

“Now Lottie,” Tia tried but I was on a roll.

“I never get anything I wish for,” I said as I threw my tiara off, which Tia caught, and made my way upstairs. Now you may think I’m acting like a spoiled brat right now, but to be honest, I’ve only wished for one thing, and so far I haven’t gotten it.

“Lottie Wait!” yelled Tia as she came up after me as I cried, “just calm down, take a deep-”

“Maybe I just got to wish harder?” I said, stopping my crying. I turned to the evening star and wished, “please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, PLEASE, please, please-”

“Lottie, you can’t just wish on a star and expect-” Tia started but was interrupted by some guy making an announcement. We turned and listen to what he had to say.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, his royal highness, Prince Naveen!”

There he was making his way up the steps in our backyard. I quickly took my tiara back and placed it on my head and wiped my make up that ran away before taking my place at the top of the stairs. From up here, I could really make a grand entrance! I whistled for a spot light and threw glitter up for a dramatic impression and pulled my little hand fan out.

Prince Naveen finally made his way to the bottom of the stairs and I made my way down. He bowed and smiled.

“Oh,” I said before grabbing his hand and dragging him into a waltz. Hey I waited all night for this, pretty much all my life for this, I wasn’t going to put it off any longer.

The dance didn’t last nearly as long enough but now it was time to the next part to reel him in. His stomach! I made my way over to the beignets.

“Tia, time to hit Prince Charming with those man catching beignets- what happened?” I noticed her table had been knocked over and she was laying on the ground covered in powdered sugar.

“I tripped,” she said sadly. She didn’t just trip, something else happened but now didn’t seem like the time to ask.

“Oh you poor dear,” I said helping her up and ushering her over to the stairs, “Oh Prince Naveen! We’ll be right back sugar! I have just the dress for ya,” I led her upstairs and to my room. She couldn’t cook anymore so now she had no excuse not to wear one of my dresses.

I didn’t have anything quite as exquisite as mine but I had something that would do. It was blue and sparkly and I had a pair of gloves and an old tiara she could wear. She went behind the changing screen in my room while I sat down at my vanity and touched up my make up.

“Oh Tia, honey, did you see the way he dance with me? A marriage proposal can’t be far behind. Thank you evening star!” I had to thank it, it was the whole reason I was getting my Prince and Tiana was getting her restaurant.

“You know, I was starting to think that wishing on stars was just for babies and crazy people,” I said. But, no I am not crazy because my wish was coming true!

Tia stepped out then and I felt my breath leave. She looked fabulous.

“Look at you! Oh, aren’t you just as pretty as a magnolia in May. Seems like just yesterday we were just little girls dreaming out fairy tale dreams and tonight they were finally coming true,” I said getting up to stand next to her. She still seemed really sad, but I couldn’t fathom why. Of course, at this point I didn’t know that she had been outbid on that old sugar mill. And for the record it wasn’t me nor my daddy that outbid her, I already inconspicuously helped her. But if I knew who it was why I’d…tell my daddy about it. What else could I do?

I didn’t know how else to help Tia, she didn’t seem like she wanted to tell me so I had to just get on with things.

“Well, back into the prey,” I said and rushing out the door, she could take some time to get over things, “wish me luck. Oh Naveen!” I ran back downstairs and danced my heart out. It was so much fun until it was ruined by a couple of crazy frogs. They went down my dress!

Normally I don’t mind frogs, they didn’t really gross me out but when they jump down your dress it is kind of shocking and a very uncomfortable feeling. It was Tia that was grossed out by frogs. Speaking of Tia, she still hadn’t come down. I had hoped she was alright but when I returned to my room after the frog fiasco, which brought an abrupt end to the ball, I noticed the dress, gloves, and tiara were on the ground.

She probably went home to deal with whatever happened to her. I was going to give her some time to recoup and then I will help her get her restaurant started and I will marry the Prince and everything will be perfect for us.

The next day I was up bright and early. I had a quick breakfast and was ready to meet my Prince on the terrace. I sat waiting and when he arrived I was excited all over again. Maybe he will propose now?!

We were sitting under our little gazebo at the table that had flowers all around. Before he could say anything I had to apologize for those dang frogs.

“Oh Prince Naveen, dear. I am positively mortified that you had to endure that frog fiasco last night,” I said.

“Well, when you’re next in line for the throne you’re poised like a panther ready to expect the unexpected. Rawr,” he said playfully. Although he is mighty handsome and sexy there is one thing I will need to improve upon and that is his voice. I’d imagine if a rat could talk, it would have his voice.

“Rawr,” I playfully said back as well when his ear just…’pop’ and it was huge. Like Dumbo big. “Oh your ear?” I asked confused. I mean whose ear just ‘pop’s and grows bigger?

He reached a hand up and was shocked and quickly dove down to the side of the table. I don’t know why, I already saw it. He then quickly returned to his seat with his hand over his ear and laughed it off.

“Oh those pesky mosquitoes,” he said waving his hand around, “they’re everywhere.” I smiled to let him know things were all right but honestly, I am usually eaten alive by mosquitoes and I hadn’t felt a single one yet. Or seen one for that matter.

That’s when he grabbed my hand the pulled me to the middle of the gazebo. Shocking, yes.

“Miss Charlotte,” he said clearing his throat, “I can no longer ignore the throbbing of my…heart,” there was a weird sound and I tried to look but he quickly twirled me and switched our positions. Something was going on here. “Even though our time together has been brief,” he then dipped me, “it’s been heavenly!”

“Please, space, Prince Naveen,” I said pushing him away a bit, “you’ve got me blushing like a…” I had fixed my hat and looked up at him to notice he was no longer there and he was now hugging me.

“Would you do me the honour of becoming Princess of Maldonia?” he asked muffled by my dress, but I still heard him and I couldn’t help it. I dramatically walked to the side of the gazebo and thought about what he just asked.

“Are you serious?” I asked.

“As the plague,” he said.

“Yes!” I yelled and tackled him into a hug, “Oh I most definitely will marry you! Oh there is so much to plan!” He had grabbed a handful of the flowers that were hanging off of the gazebo and I took them from him. A girl should get flowers after a wedding proposal.

“I have to get the guest list, the dress, music, pick the flowers, the shoes,” I said as I walked away then quickly turned back to Naveen, “Ah!” He had disappeared again so I skipped back to the house to tell my daddy, “We’re going to have ourselves a Mardi Gra wedding!”

I made my way to my room and put the flowers in a vase before quickly hunting my daddy down, he was working, and telling him the great news.

“I’m so happy for you sugar baby!” He said, “I’ll get started on arrangements right away. Did you hear that everybody? My baby is going to be a Princess.” The workers all applauded for me and I smiled and thanked them before heading to town to shop. I needed a dress and some shoes didn’t I? Oh there was so much to do!

Now I know just a moment ago I was questioning this guy. His huge ear and his weird voice, right? Well I had to stop and think, how often has a prince come around and asked to marry me? And how many princes are left in this world? It’s all democracy with presidents and stuff. I don’t want a son of the president, I want a prince! I was marrying Prince Naveen!

That night I slept peacefully dreaming of my prince, and he didn’t talk, and everything was perfect. Tomorrow was Mardi Gra and I was getting married! It was going to be a fun day!
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading.

-Charlotte