Sugar, Sugar

Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The wedding day had finally arrived and everything was going perfectly. Tia looked amazing in her wedding dress. She didn’t want a ball gown or anything that looked remotely like a princess wedding dress but she still looked fabulous.

It was a grand wedding with the King and Queen of Maldonia there. All of our good friends were there. I was sitting in the front with my Daddy and Tia’s mama. As they made their way to their carriage they received a sword salute. I didn’t know Tia was going to throw her bouquet at the moment but I jumped in at the last minute and managed to get it. The others weren’t too happy, but hey I have been ready to get married.

Not long after Tia and Naveen bought that old sugar mill and fixed it up into Tia’s dream restaurant and the grand opening was fantastic. There was great jazz music being played all night long and the food was simply fabulous. Daddy and I were at the second VIP table; Tia’s mama and Naveen’s family were the number one VIP table.

I had just finished my meal when Naveen came by and took a seat at the table.

“You know, I have a younger brother, he is also a prince,” he said smiling.

“Where?!” I asked looking around.

“He’s in the chair next my Dad. You should go dance with him,” he said before leaving. I looked up at Daddy confused and looked over at the table next to us. I had been staring at that table all night long and I did not see anyone sitting at that chair. With a nod from my daddy who seemed like he was holding in a laugh, I got up and made my way over. Finally I saw him. He was probably the cutest kid I’d ever seen! I smiled at Naveen’s parents and waved at Tia’s mama before squatting next to Naveen’s brother’s chair and smiling at him.

“Would you care to dance?” I asked and his parents smiled.

“Go on,” said his mama. The little boy got out of his chair and pulled him onto the dance floor.

“Now can you dance?” I asked. He shook his little head ‘no’, “then stand on top of my shoes and I’ll teach ya.” He did as I said and I did simple moves so he wouldn’t fall off.

“I’m dancing!” he said happily. I smiled.

“Who’d a thought the prince would have a younger brother,” I said and looked at him, “how old did you say you were?”

“I’m six and a half,” he said still happy that he was dancing.

“Well I waited this long,” I said and continued to dance with him. No I was not falling for this six and a half year old just because he was a prince. No, I thought of something else with this little prince. I realized there were probably no more princes left, so I had to move on in life and I realized what I was good at. I was good at being a princess; I’ve been one since I was little. And I loved kids. Maybe I can teach little girls and boys how to be princesses and princes, so every girl can have her own prince. I mean teaching Naveen’s brother how to dance has been easy, maybe I can teach little kids.

It would be perfect! I had to tell Daddy right after I was done dancing with the little prince. The song ended and he ran off to go sit back down and I ran off to my Daddy.

“Daddy! I thought of something!” I said excited. He sighed and put his head on his hand.

“Not again. Go on what is it?” he asked smiling kindly at me.

“I want to teach.” He seemed to choke and coughed before recovering.

“Charlotte, honey, now I know you are a little upset but,” he started but I once again cut him off. I am really good at the too.

“I want to teach little girls how to be princesses and little boys how to be princes so that every little girl can have the prince of her dreams,” I said quickly but he seemed to understand.

“Wow, well, I am impressed. That’s not a bad idea,” he said blankly staring at me before smiling.

“So you agree to let me do it?” I asked bouncing in my seat. Things were starting to look better.

“Why not? We can give it a shot, if it means that much to you,” he said. I hugged him and kissed his cheek.

“Oh thank you Daddy! Thank you, thank you, thank you!” I said happily. He smiled and nodded. I wanted to tell Tia but she seemed to have disappeared so I would have to tell her later. Maybe I could have her and Naveen come talk to my pupils once I get things going. Oh I was so exited. I had a future after all, and this time I didn’t even need to wish on the evening star. Maybe it is just for babies and crazy people.

Well that is my story. I did open my school for princesses and princes and everything is going very successfully. My students love me and my enthusiasm and parents even tell me how well behaved their children now are since they started my classes. I was even making a prophet which made my daddy happy.

Tia’s restaurant has received a few awards for its food and overall experience and is doing great. She and Naveen work hard and are still happily in love with each other.

As for me, no I haven’t found true love yet, but I’m still happy regardless. I always thought that only way I could be happy was with a wedding ring, but I guess that isn’t true. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still on the search for Mr. Right, but now I have more patience.

I also sing. Did I tell you that? Ever since Tia discovered I could sing, don’t really remember how, she has me sing once a week. I had just finished and was sitting at my VIP table when a gentleman came over holding two drinks.

“May I sit?” he asked. I gave him a once over. He was mighty handsome. I nodded and smiled. He smiled back. Oh what a smile, I felt my heart skip a beat at that smile. He sat down and placed one of the drinks in front of me.

“You seem like a rum and coke kind of girl,” he said. How could he guess? Maybe it was because I sang a song called ‘Rum and Coca cola’ tonight.

“Oh, thank you. Yes, this is my drink of choice,” I said lightly sipping it and getting slightly flushed as he kept staring and smiling at me. “Did you know that rum is made from sugar? Which is why pirates in the Caribbean liked it so much because it was only made in this part of the world.” Did I mention I rambled sometimes?

“No, I did not,” he laughed, “I’ll have to keep that in mind.”

“Sorry, I can ramble sometimes. I’m Charlotte LeBouf,” I said holding my hand out.

“Louis DuBois, a pleasure to meet you,” he said kissing the back of my hand and I blushed some more before sitting up.

“Wait, Dubois? As in The King of King Cake?” I asked.

“Yeah. Well my father is currently the King of King Cake but I should get the title once he retires. I think you’re family and my family do business together. You can imagine how much sugar a bakery needs,” he said. I perked up. This guy was a prince. Maybe not politically, but around here Mardi Gra was everything and one main part of the celebration was king cake. His family makes the best king cake in town and they make cake for everyone, including my family.

“So you’re prince of King Cake?” I asked.

“I guess so,” he said shrugging.

“Well what are you doing here?” I asked before taking another sip from my drink.

“Ever since this placed open up I come as often as I can. Great food. And I always try to make it when you are singing,” he said. I smiled.

“Oh? You like my singing?”

“A lot.”

“Hello Charlotte, and Louis good to see you again,” said Tia walking over and winking at us.

“Tia!” I said and hugged her before taking my seat.

“Food was great, as usual Tiana,” said Louis smiling up at Tia. She nodded and walked on.

“So how long have you known Tiana?” he asked me.

“Almost my entire life, she’s my best friend,” I said, he also got along with my best friend. He was too perfect.

“She makes great food. If I could I would eat here every night.”

“Why don’t you?”

“Well it is costly to eat out every night. And some nights I have to help my father at the bakery.”

“Right. Well I think your bakery makes the best king cake. We have it every Mardi Gra. I wish Mardi Gra was every day so I could keep eating it.”

“Why don’t you?”

“Well you only sell it during Mardi Gra, and I have to keep my girlish figure don’t I?” He nodded before deeply thinking about something than smiling.

“Come with me,” he said getting up and holding his hand out.

“What?” I asked confused.

“Come with me,” he said not giving anymore information.

“Oh, okay,” I said standing up. He threw some money on the table for taking my hand and leading me out. We walked through the French Quarter until we came to his bakery. It was closed for the night so all the lights were off but he pulled out some keys and opened a side door that led to the kitchen. We walked in and he closed the door before turning the light on and making his way over to a counter and rolling his sleeves up.

“What are we doing here?” I asked confused as he started pulling things out like flour and butter.

“I’m going to make you some King Cake. Now most of our cakes are made by my father making them literally King Cakes, so if you can settle on one made by the Prince than we can started.”

“I’d like a Prince cake,” I said.

“Then put on this apron and start measuring out some flour,” he said tossing me a white apron. I put my bag off to the side before putting on the apron and making my way over to him.

It took a while to make the cake but once it was finished it was just as delicious as I remember.

“That was so delicious,” I said after I finished my piece. He was still working on his but smiled at me.

“Can I be honest with you?” he asked setting his fork down.

“Of course,” I said.

“I keep going to Tiana’s Place in hopes of seeing you,” he said shyly.

“Me?”

“Yes, I like you, a lot,” he said more confidently and making eye contact with me.

“Well, I’m flattered.”

“You aren’t seeing anyone right now are you?”

“Yes, you,” I said playfully.

“I mean, you aren’t dating anyone right now are you?”

“Nope, I’m as single as they come.”

“Then, Miss Charlotte LeBouf, would you do me the honours of going out with me?”

“Just say when,” I said and smiled at him. He smiled back and stared at me like a love sick puppy. It was cute and I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to reach over and…

“Hey that’s my piece,” he said as I took a bite of his cake and smiled at him.

“Couldn’t help myself, sugar,” I said.

“That should be my pet name for you, that or princess with that school of yours,” he said going back to his cake.

“Then what should I call you? King Cake? Cakey poo? Prince cake?” I said listing a few off.

“Er, stick with sugar,” he said and we laughed.

He took me home later and left me with a box. He gave my cheek a kiss before saying good night. I headed inside my house and looked in the box. There was the left over king cake we had made and sticking out of it where our two pieces were cut off was a red coin. It had a heart on it. I smiled and placed it on my nightstand before sneaking one more piece and heading to bed.

“And that is how Tiana became a princess, and I met the man of my dreams,” I finished. All of the girls smiled and clapped while the boys just looked at each other.

“That was the best princess story yet!” said one little girl in the back of the classroom.

“Tiana, are you and Naveen going to have any children?” asked another little girl. Tiana looked at Naveen and shrugged.

“We haven’t really thought about it,” said Tiana.

“Naveen, prince, how did you know you liked Tiana?” asked a shy little boy in the front and Naveen smiled.

“I knew when,” he looked at her and smiled, “when I couldn’t stop smiling every time I looked at her.”

That’s when the door opened and Louis walked in.

“Sorry I am late, my father was taking forever,” he said walking over and pecking my cheek.

“Did you bring it?” I asked he nodded and pulled out the box, “okay my little princesses and princes, time for some king cake. The best in town!” The cheered and ran over to Louis as he cut up the cake and distributed it around.

“Here you go,” he said handing me and piece. We ate in silence before one of the boys spoke up.

“Hey I found a ring in my piece of cake!” he said excited.

“Oh, it isn’t suppose to be a ring,” I said looking at Louis.

“Actually, that wasn’t suppose to be his piece,” he said walking over and taking the ring from him. The boy pouted before Louis tossed a gold coin at him then walked back over to me. He got down on one knee and took my hand. My class gasped. I was just speechless.

“Charlotte LeBouf, will you do me the honour of becoming my wife, and Princess of King Cake?” he asked. I was speechless. I was expecting this but not today. I nodded my head urgently and he smiled and slipped it on my finger.

“Oh congratulations Lottie!” said Tia hugging me.

“Miss Charlotte, can we go to the wedding?” asked one of the little girls shyly.

“Of course, you are all invited. Along with your parents!” I finally said.

“Congratulations,” said Naveen smiling as I hugged Louis. I guess I got to marry a prince after all.

Our wedding day was perfect. It wasn’t quite as expensive as my almost marriage but it was still elegant and beautiful. My Daddy was so happy I thought was going to faint. Every thing was perfect and all of my little princesses and princes were there. The little boy, Michael, who found the ring in his piece of cake was our ring bearer. Tiana was so happy for me and helped me plan with Naveen. Even Naveen’s parents and brother came. I danced with his brother during the reception, and I must say his dancing has improved. Every thing went exactly as I always hoped.

Oh! And as the carriage pulled away from our wedding, Louis kissed me through the small window in the back. And we both lived happily ever after.

The End.
♠ ♠ ♠
So that is it, Charlotte’s story, told by one Charlotte about another. I thank all of those who read and if you can, leave a comment.

-Charlotte