‹ Prequel: Choke on Your Misery
Status: Active!

Mistakes We Wouldn't Learn From

Zack

[Zack]

The next day was the fourth of July – Independence Day. We were off again today and didn’t have another show until tomorrow night. Luckily, the weather was perfect. It was bright and the sky was free of clouds. Since Alex and I live next to each other, our parents had turned our two yards into one huge one for the day. They had apparently planned a barbeque for tonight and everyone was invited. Alex had told us that the nearby fireworks display was right behind where we lived, so we would be able to see it perfectly.

It was about six o’clock and our yard was completely full. It was packed with over twenty people, two barbeques, one picnic table, some lawn chairs, and a few blankets lying on the ground for us to sit on. In addition to our families, Rian and his family was over, as was Jack and his family. Matt, Evan, and Grieco had come together because they didn’t want to spend the night with their families. The Cobra Starship and Mayday Parade guys were also here.

Yeah. Needless to say, I was a little claustrophobic in my own backyard.

“So what exactly happened last night?” I suddenly heard a voice behind me and I jumped, looking up to see that it was just Gabe.

“You scared me,” I said with a slight laugh.

“Sorry,” he apologized, sitting beside me in the grass. I was sitting at the far edge of the yard, trying to stay out of the way while some of the dads were barbequing. “Seriously though, what happened? I know I kicked the guy out of the show, but I didn’t get the full explanation of why I did that.”

I sighed, looking down at my hands, “The guy was being an asshole. He used to bully me a lot at my old high school and caused a lot of... problems.”

Gabe’s eyes flicked down to my arms briefly before he looked back up, nodding. Fuck, I wasn’t wearing a hoodie right now – he could see the scars. “And Alex wanted to stand up for you and get him out of there?”

“Pretty much. He said he had come there to see your band, so I guess Alex figured it would be funnier for you to do it,” I smiled slightly.

“Typical,” Gabe laughed, shaking his head.

“Yeah. Sorry that he made you do that.”

“No, it’s completely fine. I can’t tolerate assholes like that. Anyone that puts people down for fun has something seriously messed up in their head,” Gabe said with a frown, before smiling slightly at me. “Especially if it’s you. You’re too good of a kid – you definitely don’t deserve to be bullied.”

“Thanks,” I muttered, cheeks flushing. I don’t take compliments well.

Gabe laughed, patting me on the shoulder before standing up. “How about we go get some food, kid? I think your dad is done cooking some of those burgers.”

I nodded and stood up, following him over to the others. Everyone was crowded around the picnic table, which was full of hot dogs, hamburgers, plates, and condiments. Anyone that had their food already was sitting in lawn chairs or on the grass. I got one of the hamburgers and nearly drowned it in ketchup before putting the bun on. What? I like ketchup.

I looked around to see where the others were. Alex and Jack were talking to Derek and a few other guys from the other bands. He looked busy, so I decided to go over to Rian, Matt, Evan, and Grieco instead. I sat down beside Matt with a sigh.

“I thought you’d go sit with Alex, not us losers,” Grieco said, surprised.

I shrugged, “He’s busy talking to the others. I didn’t want to talk to them.”

“It won’t hurt you to be a little social,” Rian teased with a chuckle.

“I’m being social right now,” I protested.

Rian rolled his eyes, “I meant social as in talking to people besides us.”

“I talked to Gabe a few minutes ago, for your information.”

“Oh,” Rian shrugged. “Nevermind then. I guess you are being social.”

I rolled my eyes and flipped him off before picking up my sandwich to take a bite.

The five of us had talked for a while before Alex and Jack joined us. It was about eight-thirty now, and everyone was getting restless as we waited for the fireworks at ten o’clock. Our parents were all sitting around the picnic table, having a good time. The rest of us were scattered around on the ground talking. Alex, Jack, and I were sitting together, talking about random stuff and laughing. I was actually having a good time.

Or I was until Derek showed up.

“Hey, Gaskarth!” Derek called out, walking over to us.

“What’s up, Derek?” Alex asked, looking up at him.

“The guys are arm wrestling over there. They said that they want you and Jack to arm wrestle them because they think they could beat you,” Derek said with a smirk, looking at Alex.

“I can so beat them!” Jack exclaimed, jumping up and running over to the others.

“This should be interesting. Jack’s never going to win,” Alex laughed, also standing up and going over to the others. He didn’t even glance back at me before walking away.

Derek laughed at the hurt look on my face, “I’d ask you to come over, but you’d make it awkward for everyone else. Your silence makes it weird for the rest of us to joke around.”

He walked away with a smirk on his face and I frowned, watching him walk away. Alex and Jack were already starting to arm wrestle with the Mayday Parade guys, having a good time. Does me being quiet really make it awkward for the others? It must, if Alex and Jack hadn’t even thought to tell me to come with them...

I sat there alone for a few minutes, absentmindedly playing with the grass, before I felt someone sit beside me. I looked up to see that it was Grieco and Matt. “Why do you look so bummed?” Grieco asked.

“Alex and Jack completely ditched me when Derek came over,” I grumbled.

“That’s rude,” Matt said, and I nodded.

“If it makes you feel any better, Evan and Rian ditched us for them too. Apparently we’re not cool enough for all of them,” Grieco said.

I rolled my eyes, “Thanks, Grieco. You just called me a loser.”

“No, I called us all losers!”

••••••••••

It was almost ten o’clock now, and the fireworks display was supposed to be starting soon. Hopefully Alex was right about being able to see it from the backyard. I had sat down on one of the blankets that were laid out, not wanting to be bitten by the mosquitoes hiding in the grass. Jack and Rian were both complaining about mosquito bites already.

Alex sat down with me on the blanket, startling me as he hugged me from behind. “Sorry that I keep leaving you, baby,” he whispered into my ear apologetically.

“It’s okay. I don’t mind,” I murmured, partially lying. I really did mind, but at the same time I knew he had a social life, unlike me.

“Good.” Alex leaned forward to kiss me on the cheek before tugging me closer to him, “Lean back.” I raised an eyebrow and leaned back into him so that I was lying against his chest and lap. He held his arms around me tightly, cuddling me close to his chest. “Comfortable?”

“Very,” I replied with a slight blush, pulling one of his hands closer to I could intertwine our fingers.

“Aww, look who’s acting all cute,” Evan teased, looking over at us with a grin.

“Don’t ruin the moment by making me stand up and punch you,” Alex said, and I laughed. We were sitting a few feet behind all of the others – I knew Alex wouldn’t bother to walk over to them just to hit Evan.

The first firework sounded and we all jumped, surprised at the sudden noise. I felt my heartbeat quicken as the fireworks started. I love fireworks, but I hate the loudness of them – it raises my anxiety. Alex squeezed my hand gently, probably able to feel that I had tensed up. Everyone else was “ooh”ing and “ahh”ing over the fireworks. I relaxed into Alex, looking up into the sky to enjoy the fireworks instead of worry over them. We could see them perfectly from here.

“The fireworks are beautiful, babe. Kind of like you,” Alex said into my ear softly, loud enough for me to hear over the fireworks but quiet enough that no one else did.

“You’re beautiful,” I mumbled back in response, blushing. Alex chuckled at my reaction, kissing my temple. He kept his gaze on me, looking conflicted suddenly. “What?” I asked quietly, wondering why he was staring at me.

“I-I...” Alex trailed off. I raised an eyebrow, waiting for him to continue. “I... I love you Zack.” My eyes widened in surprise. He had caught me off guard with that statement. “I’ve been trying to figure out a good time to say it and I’ve been so nervous, and I understand if you don’t feel the same, b-but-“ Alex started rambling quietly and I leaned up to kiss him, shutting him up immediately.

“I love you too, Alex,” I said shyly, my cheeks heating up.

Alex’s face lit up, “Really? You’re not just saying it because I did, are you?”

“No,” I chuckled softly, smiling at him. “I love you, Lex. Honestly.”

“I love hearing you say that,” Alex murmured, a grin still on his face as he kissed my forehead and held me tighter. I chuckled, returning my attention to the fireworks. This night was definitely perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awwww. A little Derek drama, but Zack and Alex finally said they love each other!

I finally got over my writer's block, so I'm writing some more of this story tonight. I'll update again either next weekend or the middle of next week, depending on how many comments I have and how much I have written.

Speaking of comments... I have 100 subscribers and 100 of you reading every chapter... but only 5 people who comment on every chapter? :\ I've been having enough writer's block with this story. If I don't get some more commenters, updates are going to get slower and slower.

Thanks to:
kew_atl
coolstoryBrosif
Party Ghoul
JessicStar
BeautifullyTattooed

for their comments! :)