Status: Working Progress

Mission J

Chapter 2

The zipper let out the sharp ripping sound as I tugged the fastener of my duffel bag closed. I turned to the table, where I had my wallet, rubles, fake ID and credit cards under my false identity laid out in a neat row. My cell phone and fake passport also were among the items set down. I did a quick inventory of all the items that were to go in my wallet. Once checked that everything was in place, I returned the ID, cards and money back into my wallet in their designated place.

Bags packed: check.
Job alias covered, gathered and checked: all accounted for.
I glanced at the clock for a time check. 5:22.

I gathered the items on the table and placed them all in my black handbag.

I was picking up my coat when I heard the hotel door open.
“Oh, you’re ready.” Jun noted, walking into the lounge area. I turned to look at him, who stopped and gave me a look-over.
“The icing helped. You don’t look…that bad.” he said, still grimacing. He pointed to my attire, motioning to the dark grey turtleneck sweater I was wearing. “Excellent choice.”

I rolled my eyes at him, returning to my things. I unzipped the duffel bag in search of my emergency make-up pouch.
When I found it, I went over to the mirror in the room and started applying another layer of cover up.

Jun was right; the icing had helped. There was no swelling and the pain had receded considerably. But there was nothing I could do about the bruising or the bags under my eyes from the lack of sleep.
Gingerly I patted on the foundation, making sure to get under my jaw line and whatever part of my neck that showed outside of the turtleneck. Then I finished it off with a powder concealer.

From the mirror I saw Jun nod once in approval.
“Better.” he said. “I’m going to go check around the room, just in case we forgot anything.”
With that, he went off into the bedroom, starting his sweep.
I looked myself over in the mirror, straightening out my turtleneck and hair. The cover up made my skin tone look almost unnaturally flat, but it did its job. I should find a hat; I'm pretty sure I had a stylish military-style cap somewhere. That should at least shade some of my face.
Now, one last thing…

I reached into the make-up pouch, rummaging through the cotton balls and application wedges. My fingers brushed on something hard and cold and I pulled it out.
Two simple rings on a sturdy chain sat on my hands, the small weight of it giving me an odd sense security. It was the only thing I kept with me everywhere; it was my memory, my reminder---

I quickly pulled the chain over my head and hung the two rings from the neck. For a safe measure, I tucked the chain into my turtleneck sweater. And with that, I slipped into the black slim fit overcoat and buttoned myself up.

Jun came back into the lounge area as I was fastening the belt around my waist.
“We’re all set.” he said. “Come on, we have a very long way to go.”

Image


Jun wasn’t kidding when he said we had a long way to go. After we left the hotel, we had a slow and cautious drive to Yakutsk Airport. From there, we were flown to Moscow in a small plane; the trip itself took just much too long. After what felt like hours, we finally landed in Domodedovo International Airport.

It was 8:32 AM in Moscow, and oh…I was in a world of pain. How is it that I was progressively hurting more and more as time passed? Was I healing at all?
I let out a slow breath, struggling to even just stay sitting up in the uncomfortable plastic chair as I waited in the terminal for the Korean Airline. I could feel my ribs shaking, pangs of pain ripping through my upper body with every wave of tremors and my head was dealing with the return of the pulsing ring.

Izvinite,

I glanced up at the small, timid voice speaking from beside me to see a young boy standing next to my chair. Light, messy blond hair poked out from under his knitted hat, and these piercing blue eyes peered at me with a curious expression.

U tyebya vsyo v aryadke?” he asked me.

I blinked, and smiled.
Preskasno, spasibo.” I replied.

The boy looked at me curiously still, studying me. I suppose it’s strange to see an apparent foreigner speaking your own language.

Nikolai!” a woman’s voice called from across the terminal, her tone scolding.
The boy turned to look over as he was called, and glanced back at me.
Dosvidanija,” the boy, Nikolai said politely before hurrying away.

I smiled and watched as he ran back to his mother and obediently took one of the seats. Hmmm…how cute…

“Are you really okay?” I heard Jun ask from behind me. I hadn’t heard him approach.

“Fine.” I replied, watching as he came around the row of seats and sat himself down right next to me. He let out a sigh.

“That’s what you told little Nikolai over there and even he didn’t believe you.” Jun said. He paused, and I could feel his eyes studying me. “Really, you’re not looking all that great.”

“It’s a few bruises,” I said, glancing briefly his way. “I’m just sore, that’s all.”
Jun didn’t look all that reassured, so I added.
“If I get progressively worse as time goes, you can take a look-over.” I told him.

He still frowned.
“K, if you have a fracture, I won’t be able to see it.” he said. “I think you need to be examined.”

“That’s fine.” I told him, starting to get annoyed.

“Good…because I already arranged for a doctor’s appointment.” my handler announce.

I went to go and glare at Jun when an announcement called through the terminal.

“Gate 11 is now boarding. First-class passengers may line up.”

“That’s us.” Jun said. “Just a few hours and we’ll be in Seoul. Can you hang on till then?”

I sighed and got up from the chair.
“What are you talking about? I love flying.” I muttered. “I call window seat.”

I saw Jun roll his eyes and he handed me my tickets as we went to line up to board the plane. 7 hours and 23 minutes to Seoul, South Korea. It can’t be that bad…

Image


I inhaled deeply, forcing my ribs to expand to its limits. 4 hours and 11 minutes down, and I was dying of boredom. I had already gone through the small packet of information on my upcoming job five times. I watched a movie sometime in between and ate some food. After a little over four hours into the flight, the roaring of the plane’s engines were now a dull rumbling to my ears.
But now…

I sighed, and got up from the seat. All this sitting and doing nothing was making me sweat underneath all the thick clothes. I made my way down the narrow isle and into the front of the cabin where the bathroom was.
I could feel Jun’s curious eyes on me as I stepped into the small bathroom place. I shut the door behind me and twisted the knob on the door, listening to the lock slide into place.

I turned to the sink and the large mirror on the wall of the small bathroom space. My eyes caught sight of my reflection and I frowned.

I looked absolutely miserable. With the dark gray turtleneck and the black overcoat, my skin look much too pale that it gave off an ill complexion. The thick cover-up certainly didn’t help me look any healthier.
I undid the belt and started to unbutton the overcoat. I hung the jacket on the hook behind the door and turned back to the mirror. My fingers traced my jawline as I tilted my head left and right.

How long was it going to take this time for the bruising to go away?

Two soft knocks came from the door, snapping my attention from my reflection. I flushed the toilet quickly and let the sink run a bit before unlocking the door.
Jun was leaning against the side of the door, waiting for me to come out. He raised an eyebrow at me and gave me a curious look.
“How are you holding on?” he asked.

I grabbed my coat from the back of the door and stepped out of the bathroom.
“I’m fine.” I said, slightly exasperated.
With that, I returned to my seat. I sighed and tossed my coat onto the side of my chair before sinking back to the seat. I felt Jun settle back in his seat to my right, his eyes on me.
“Just three more hours.” he told me, his tone soft.

I let out a breath and glanced at the large monitor up ahead.
“Three hours and seven minutes, to be exact.” I said.
I looked at my handler and gave him a slightly exasperated.
“Relax, I’m doing fine.” I reassured him. “I’m going to rest for the rest of this flight, okay?”

I gave him an even gaze before I leaned my chair back slightly and shifted into a comfortable position in my seat.

After a while I heard Jun let out a soft sigh and shift back into his seat.
My eyes glanced towards the large monitor in front of the cabin displaying the flight time.

Three hours and six minutes…

I closed my eyes, forcing myself to ignore the monitor.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys. =D Let me know how you like!!