Status: Working Progress

Mission J

Chapter 7

There was an odd silence of shock for just a few seconds. Then the room exploded.
“WHAT?!”

My voice was echoed by another; our tones identical. The young ass and I exchanged disgusted glances.
“Why do I have to house such a burden in my home? Because of paperwork complications?” Jae-Sung, the ass roared.
I had my own feelings to be heard.
“Why are you doing this to me, hmm, Jun? What did I ever do to you?” I demanded.

Jun put his hands us and patted the air in front of him, motioning us to settle down.
“Easy, guys. I’m just saying, there is a standard process to go through---”

“And I’m saying that I don’t care about all that! Just get this…this…this homicidal maniac out of my home!”
I scoffed, rolling my eyes.
Who’s the maniac?” I snapped.
“What, you don’t deny being homicidal?” he shot back.
“Not right now.” I growled.

“Guys, easy.” Jun said, sounding slightly exasperated. “What I’m saying is, there’s nothing I could do right now that would make any immediate changes.”
He then turned to the older man standing on the sidelines.
“Mr. Park,” he said. The guy’s manager looked startled at being addressed so formally.

“Yes?” he said.

“We were given this assignment after we were directly asked for to ensure Mr. Seo’s safety.” he told him. “I was under the impression that your case needed someone discrete yet effective in the field.”
Mr. Park nodded, his eyes flickering to the younger client and then to me.
“Yes, that’s right.” he said.
“Then K is the best you can ask for.” Jun told him. “She will be able to blend into whatever setting she needs to be in; she will be able to cover Mr. Seo closely without being suspected as a hired guard.”

I let out a quiet sigh, shifting my weight to my right side. The paperwork was protocol; fast work can get it done in three workday’s time. No job requests were officially accepted on the weekend, unless it was urgent or under special order. ‘Weekends at the office’ meant spending the time going through the paperwork of the week’s mission and triple-checking inventory and processing debriefed cases. So even with the efficiency of CORE, the request would take five days.

“How? Can she turn invisible?” ‘Mr. Seo’ demanded. “I’ll tell you now, every moment I spend out there are always people watching---”

“I can be invisible if need be.” I told him, my voice hard yet no longer biting. “I can adapt to any given situation. Whatever happens, I will make it work.”

The young Seo Jae-Sung scowled, glaring at me, a look I happily returned. Clearly, hard feelings were mutual.

Jun spoke, his voice still calm and even.
“But if you still insist on personnel change---”

“I insist.” The younger client said, not dropping the harsh glare from me, as if we were in the middle of a stare-off.

Jun stopped, looked at me before he sighed.
“Very well then. I shall get started on the paperwork the moment I check in tomorrow.” he said. “In the meantime, K will take on the job of your bodyguard as a temporary status. As her handler, I will be her supporting role. There should be no problems with this arrangement.”

“Huh,” the guy huffed, sounding irritated. “Just three workdays, right?”

“Three workdays.” Jun repeated in confirmation. “Monday evening, we’ll be out of your life for good.”

Seo Jae-Sung hummed thoughtfully, mulling over whatever thought was in his head. He then looked away, breaking out eye contact.
“Fine,” he said. “I can live with that.”

“Great.” Jun said, flashing him a bright smile. “The job status is now active. K, you know what to do.”

I gave him a wave as he started towards the door, Mr. Park following him.

“Wait, yah, aren’t you forgetting something?” the younger client demanded, pointing towards me.

A flare of irritation shot through me and I let out a sigh.
“No, he’s not.” I said. “I’m staying behind.”

“For what?” he demanded.

“To do my job.” I told him.

Seo Jae-Sung looked at me incredulously, and back at Jun.

“You’re staying here?” he demanded.

“Yea.” I replied.

“Why?”

“I already told you; to do my job.”

“You can’t be serious.” he said.

“Jae, please.” Mr. Park said. “It’s only five days; you can manage that.”

Jae-Sung’s jaw dropped in disbelief.
“But---but…”

Jun glanced at him and me, his expression completely unfazed. He then turned back to Mr. Park.
“Mr. Park, could I speak to you in private?” he asked.
I watched as Mr. Park nodded and follow Jun into the entrance corridor of the apartment…leaving me alone in the room with Seo Jae-Sung…

The guy let out an aggravated sigh and stomped off into the kitchen area, muttering away about something.
How did all this happen? And who asked for me to take this job? I sure as hell don’t want it.
How the hell did I go from breaking a human trafficking syndicate to babysitting a spoiled brat? Seo Jae-Sung, who the hell does he think he is?
Now that I think about it, I’ve met the client, but I know close to nothing about him. Who was he, really? And what am I protecting him from?
All I know is he’s arrogant, pissy…comes off egotistic, and completely insufferable. And this was with him being in the room for ten minutes.
My eyes flickered over to my pile of accessories on the glass coffee table.

Oh…how tempting---

Aoish…I can’t believe this.” I heard him mutter from my left. My eyes flickered over to him, and saw that he had returned with a water bottle.
I let out a deliberately slow breath and crossed my arms over my chest as he went on.
“Why do I have to deal with you in my apartment for five days?”

I looked at him, staring him down. Was he going to whine through five days?

Seo Jae-Sung stared back, his eyes narrowing.
“What?” he demanded.

My tongue clicked against my teeth, irritation bubbling.
“Go put a shirt on.” I grouched.

With that said, I brushed past him and to the entrance corridor where Jun and Mr. Park was talking.
They seemed to have concluded what they were speaking about because Jun handed him something and turned to go back into the living room when he saw me.
“You, a word.” he said, sounding calm.
I winced at his overly smooth tone and made my way to him, feeling like a kid being scolded. He pulled me aside and stepped closer to insure that nothing between us was overheard.
“Look, if this had been any other job, your behavior would’ve been inexcusable.” he said in hushed tones. “If their situation wasn’t as critical, he had every right to fire you then.”
I sighed, knowing despite myself he was right.
“I know, I’m sorry.” I muttered. “I’m just…very irritable today. And the way that guy is acting just…”
Jun didn’t lecture me further, his expression softening into concern and understanding.
“How’s the pain?” he asked.
“Tolerable.” I replied, crossing my arms.
“Are you taking any of the meds?”
“I’m tolerating.” I said.
Jun looked down at my hand, the one that was holding the flask.
“Is that…” he started.
I sighed and opened the flask for him to smell.
“It’s not alcohol.” I said. “It’s the herbal tea that is supposed to relax your muscles and reduce stress.”
Jun raised an eyebrow at me.
“Is it working?” he asked.
“I’m tolerating.” I repeated, exasperated.

He looked down at the flask, before lifting his eyes to my face, his gaze searching deep. I held his gaze, silently reassuring him.
Jun let out a quiet, close-lipped sigh and took the cap of the flask out of my hand.
“Don’t tolerate, take care of it.” he ordered, capping my flask without smelling its contents.
He then leaned close, as if we weren’t close enough. His lips were just above my ear, the side of his jaw at my temple.
“I know that guy is going to get under your skin, but try to be civil. He’s going through a lot right now so he may just be taking it out on you.” he murmured.
“Who the hell is he, anyway? It’s like he grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth,” I grouched.
I felt Jun chuckle, the sound soft.
“Not quite. He’s an actor.” he told me. “A top-notch, high skilled and highly coveted celebrity.”
“Or he’s an arrogant ass. He has a light-up portrait of himself hanging on the wall of his living room.” I muttered flatly.
“K, he has a stalker.” he said.
I was about to retort that every celebrity probably has one when he continued.
“One that has turned deadly in recent days.” he said. He paused before he added. “And he himself has only recently been told he has a stalker.”
I became silent, unable to come up with a smart reply. It wasn’t a funny situation to make a smart reply to.
“Five days,” Jun seemed to beg. “Just five. No incident, no complaints. I want you to be at the best that I know you can be. Promise me that.”
I clicked my tongue against my teeth in frustration, hating that he was winning this one.
“Fine.” I said.
Jun hummed in acceptance, but didn’t pull away.
“By the way, your young client seems to be staring. He might be getting the wrong impression of us.” he added.
I rolled my eyes and fought the urge to snort.
“But we’re engaged remember? We’re still giddy from the good news.” I joked dryly.

I could feel Jun grin against my temple at my comment.
“Behave,” was all he said before he pulled away.

Jun turned back to our clients, who were also talking to one another.
“That’s all the business we have for now.” he announced. “K will be here to take the temporary job. I will come back with immediate replacement personnel and have you sign the papers on Monday. And Mr. Seo,”
The actor looked up, looking surprised that he was addressed.
“I realize this isn’t the better of first impressions, but please. We are only here to help you while accommodating to your need of discretion.” he told him.

Leave it to Jun to be so diplomatic.

He then turned back to me.
“I’ll have a package sent here early tomorrow.” he said. “Oh, and I’m taking all of your knives, smoke bombs, two clips and the two barrettas.”
I opened my mouth to argue but he lifted a hand to stop me.
“Compromise per request of Mr. Park.” he said.
Mr. Park winced and smiled weakly at me. I just sighed.
“Just give me the folding combat knife.” I said. “I have a feeling it may come in handy.”
Jun glanced at Mr. Park, who gratefully nodded. “Fine; plus the one knife.” he said.

He then collected the items and stored them craftily over his body as I had before coming in. Once done he gave one nod toward me, and headed to the front door.
“I’ll see myself out.” he called.

I heard the door click closed and the apartment settled into a tense, awkward silence. I looked at Mr. Park, who was fidgeting uncomfortable in the kitchen, and to Seo Jae-Sung, the arrogant ass actor who looked more pissed than ever. And then my eyes fell to my reduced collection of my toys.
I sighed.

This was going to be a long five days.
♠ ♠ ♠
WOW...talk about a record breaking time for the fastest-next-update! XD...well...for me, anyways. XD

Well, here's the chapter, and now that my stories have evened out, it's working out great!
If you're curious, this is the chapter from the other story. It's the mirror of this chapter you just read...but in Jae-Sung's POV.

In case you wanted to do more reading. XD

Well, happy reading and let me know what you guys think!! I miss comments like I used to get before... TT^TT