Status: We Owned the Night

Never Falling (John's Story)

Jeep

"Well this is just perfect." Melody Grace sighed as she got out of her Jeep which decided to start smoking from underneath the hood. She knew how to change her oil, brakes, tires, and spark plugs, but anything else she was clueless. "I should have listened to mom." she mumbled as she propped the hood up to see the smoke coming from the radiator.

"Mel, Carter is a small country town, I think you'll be better off here in the city. Everything is here!" her mother said as Melody was packing up her clothes.

"Mom I'm twenty one. I graduated high school at sixteen, I think I'll do just fine since I'm like a few years ahead of schedule in the education department. Besides the Vet I talked to seemed extremely nice and more then willing to give me job, something about retirement. I don't know I don't listen too well."

"I just don't want you that far away!" her mother cried. Even when she was attending college she still lived at home with her parents. She loved her parents but she was ready to start her own life without asking for her parent's help. Her mother was a college professor, and her father was a car mechanic. Her mother knew a lot about science and her father knew way too much about vehicles and how they worked. Melody wasn't interested in teaching and she wasn't much of a vehicle fan, after saving a kitten she found her interests in animals.

The sound of her phone ringing in her pocket made her jump as she starred at the jeep. She looked at the name on the screen and she frowned. "Hi dad."

"Did you make it to Carter?" he asked.

"Yes sir."

"Everything going good?"

"Yup, nothing to worry about. Now I'm gonna go I'm about to walk into the Vet's." she lied.

He sighed. "Alright. Remember to call when you're all settled in and what not."

"I know. Love ya dad. Bye!" she hung up before he could respond as she saw another vehicle approaching. It was either a large truck, or large SUV. As it neared it slowed down and pulled up behind her. "Please don't be a psycho killer, please!" she mumbled to herself as the door of the vehicle opened and out stepped a...sheriff? Phew! He approached her smoothly. She took in his appearance quickly. Tall, a scruffy jaw, tousled hair, vibrant green eyes, a tiny white scar above one of his brows. His shirt uniform hugged his chest and broad shoulders, allowing her to see his muscular arms. Long legs covered by wrinkled pants that went along with the shirt. Last but not least a nice shiny badge with 'Sheriff' across it on the left side of his chest and on the right was his last name 'Baker'.

"Hello handsome!" she said aloud.

"Do you need some help?" he asked ignoring her greeting.

"Um, yeah...obviously my Jeeps broken down, but I'm new around here and I don't know any shops." she answered.

"I'll get a tow truck out her for you and have them take it to Tom." he said turning back to his vehicle.

"Wait!" Melody yelled out not even thinking about it as she grabbed onto his arm. He quickly jerked out of her grasp. "I'm sorry! But there's no way I can afford a tow truck right now plus whatever it'll cost me to fix this thing."

"So how do you expect to fix it?"

"Well I'm pretty sure it's just a leak coming from the radiator. I just need to cool the engine and get some pepper and-"

"Pepper?"

"Yeah it's a trick my dad taught me."

"Okay, how do you suppose you're going to get a hold of pepper?"

"Um. You listen here Sheriff you are being extremely rude!" Melody growled poking at his chest.

"How am I being rude? Look my place is just up the road, if you think your jeep can make it I can help you out there." he said; she sighed. What choice did she have, she figureed the jeep could make it.

"Alright. Thank you Mr....?"

"John Baker."

"I'm Melody Grace."

"Well welcome to Carter Mrs. Grace."

"Miss. I'm single...not married...um."

"Just follow behind me." John said before walking back towards his...SUV she noted as he drove past her and she followed him.