Whoever She May Be

a pre cocktail party drink

The large ballroom was covered in white, white everything there was not a drop of color anywhere. The ceilings were white speckled with more white, the chandeliers were made out of white glass, the wood that were the tables had been dyed white, the silk the covered the tables was pure white and the windows were opened wide letting the night into the room. It was truly beautiful and yet I wanted nothing more than to be anywhere else in the entire world.

I was sitting next to my step sister at table three for the mere seconds she was there when she was off the dance floor with any of handsome sorters my father sends to her, when she was gone I was all alone for my father and step mother were making rounds around the room. I was bored out of my mind and it was only eleven thirty, these boring cocktail parties could go on to the morning for New York’s elite. I stared off into the distance of the room and I saw kids that had gone to my school, they all looked amazing in custom designers gowns and pressed white suits. I looked down at my simple white vintage dress I found in a boutique doubting the whole outfit at that moment with a frown. I looked up and saw one boy smiled at me before turning away to laugh at something his friends said. I sighed, that had been most of my 19 years of living. At that time my father and step-mother came back to the table smiling the appropriate amount.

“Oh Samantha, are you having a good time tonight?” My step-mother, Kimberly asked in her perkiest voice.

I looked over to my father as I answered, pulling a smile on my face. “Wonderful. Really Mom.” I said glancing at her before looking to my father. “May I leave early? I have a...” I paused thinking to myself an excuse. “thing in the morning.”

“Oh sure darling.” Kim said with a kind smile.

“Thank you.” I said swooping out of my seat and around kissing them on each cheek. I marched out of the ballroom, running in my Sergio Rossi heals out of the plaza and as I stepped out into the early summer heat it suddenly dawned on me, I still would rather be anywhere else. Usually just stepping out into the city makes me feel better and yet it no longer could do so I realised as I walked away from the plaza and down 5th Avenue. I didn’t just want to get away from the Plaza, which I had always loved, I wanted to leave New York City, which has always been my home.

I hailed a taxi the last eleven blocks to the pent house that I had lived in all my life. I passed through the city staring out the window watching all the light blur together and all the people blend into each other. I listened to the sounds of the city contemplating a virus thought. This was all I had know and I wanted to leave.
♠ ♠ ♠
all of my stories all of my characters all come from the same general idea. I add an change until it gets better hopefully this one is.
hope you enjoy
sincerely,
rowan