Until Tomorrow

secrets

Whakaio wasn’t surprised when Becca climbed through his bedroom window. He always kept it unlocked, as Becca liked to show up at odd hours and climb in via the fire escape on his apartment building. This time was different, though. She wasn’t wearing her usual half-smile, the spark in her eye was gone, and she moved much too swiftly – not her usual clumsy self. Her hair was loose and tangled, her eye makeup smudged, her expression hard. She looked like her spirit had died.

“Hey, what’s up?” Whakaio asked casually, leaning forward slightly in his computer chair. Becca took a seat on the end of his bed and held her head in her hands. She tried to breathe deeply to calm herself down, but every breath she took in was short and sharp as she gasped for air.

“Indie, what’s wrong?”

“She’s back,” Becca said evenly, looking up at her best friend.

“Who?”

“My sister.”

“You have a sister?”

“Yeah. I guess I figured she was long gone. Dead, even,” Becca gushed, her eyes darting around the room. She always did that when she was nervous. As soon as she entered a place where she hadn’t been before, her eyes would dart around, seeking out the nearest exits as her mind formed an escape plan, just in case.

“Why didn’t you tell me about her? We’re best friends, Becca. We’re supposed to know everything about each other,” Whakaio said, frowning slightly.

“There are some things that you just can’t tell anybody,” Becca explained. “Everybody has secrets. I’m sorry.” She laced her fingers together and stared down at therm, frowning.

“You don’t have to tell me about her now,” Whakaio said, sensing Becca’s internal struggle. He always seemed to know what was up with her, like he could read her mind without any trouble at all.

“You’ll hear the story one day,” Becca said, looking him in the eyes and attempting a smile. It came out as a grimace. Whakaio pushed himself out of his chair and closed the small space between them to sit beside her on the bed. He draped his arm around her small shoulders and she leant into his side, resting her head on his chest.

“Hey, hang in there,” he whispered, “don’t let your spirit die.”

“I’m trying,” Becca said. “Believe me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A filler. WHATCHA' GUNNA DO, PUNK!?

I just wanted to show y'all where Whakaio and Becca are at in the present. They're best friends now, yay! I'm thinking of doing some flashback scenes in the next few chapters so you can see how they got there and reveal other little details about the family and Kelly. EXCITEMENT.

There are nine delicious subscribers on dis bitch. Show me who you are! LET ME LOVE YOU, BBYS.